Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress on July issue of Games for Windows magazi  (Read 4539 times)

RP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress on July issue of Games for Windows magazi
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2007, 12:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by axus:
<STRONG>Maybe there could be a math professor noble that teaches your dwarves basic mechanics and architecture skill   ;)</STRONG>

Noooooooo!!!

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2007, 02:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by RP:
<STRONG>

Noooooooo!!!</STRONG>

Actually, a quicker way of increasing the Architecture skill would be welcome.

But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

RP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2007, 04:15:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Slartibartfast:
<STRONG>Actually, a quicker way of increasing the Architecture skill would be welcome.</STRONG>

Sorry, I just saw the words 'math' and 'noble' and got in a tizzy. I had to drown quite a number of the lot recently, for asking impossible stuff.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2007, 05:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by herrbdog:
<STRONG>Next time, use my tileset! It makes any fortress look good    :roll:</STRONG>

but when does the revised 16x16 show up?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2007, 05:10:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>

Actually, a quicker way of increasing the Architecture skill would be welcome.</STRONG>

design and build lots of small things.  for example, a row of archery targets.  they take a small number of keystrokes to place.

then tear them down.  then build them again.

just make sure you only have one dwarf assigned to architecture.

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2007, 03:25:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by puke:
<STRONG>

design and build lots of small things.  for example, a row of archery targets.  they take a small number of keystrokes to place.

then tear them down.  then build them again.

just make sure you only have one dwarf assigned to architecture.</STRONG>

Let me revise it then:
"Actually, a quicker way of increasing the Architecture skill naturally would be welcome."
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2007, 04:25:00 am »

quote:
<STRONG>
"Actually, a quicker way of increasing the Architecture skill naturally would be welcome."</STRONG>

Well, you could rationalize it as Dwarven interior design. Or when people re-arrange their furniture every year or so because the Fung Sheu (shwey?) is wrong.

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2007, 05:56:00 am »

That was a good article, I enjoyed reading it. Took me a whole 30 seconds to figure out why the mountains had fallen over.

You should post your full map over at http://mkv25.net/dfma/  so we can fully analyse your fotress design  ;)

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2007, 06:23:00 am »

The "running on even creaky computers" thing might be a little outdated now too... DF easily brings modern budget computers to their knees

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2007, 06:33:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TotalPigeon:
<STRONG>The "running on even creaky computers" thing might be a little outdated now too... DF easily brings modern budget computers to their knees</STRONG>

Only if you want it to, no one says you have to have 200 dwarves to run a fortress... if you let it grow to 1000, sure it'd crash any commercially available PC... but the game still runs fine on the last generation computers. I certainly wouldn't discourage new players from trying DF out if they were  on anything more then an 800MHz CPU - the article still makes a valid point.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2007, 08:10:00 am »

Awesome article! And great to see the face and story of the designers!

The writing of the article doesn't seem to portray well enough the creativity players get to express through this game. I'm currently trying to figure out how to get my partner to give it a try (yes, he gave the "WTF is THAT!" response when he saw it, and calls it my "Blip blip game"). How to sway him from Guildwars, I wonder!

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2007, 09:43:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Faces of Mu:
<STRONG>The writing of the article doesn't seem to portray well enough the creativity players get to express through this game. I'm currently trying to figure out how to get my partner to give it a try (yes, he gave the "WTF is THAT!" response when he saw it, and calls it my "Blip blip game"). How to sway him from Guildwars, I wonder!</STRONG>

Burning him at the stake is the answer, it will purify his body from his sins and will thus allow his spirit to reach The Adamantine Halls.

But what do I know?

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2007, 12:53:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>

Burning him at the stake is the answer, it will purify his body from his sins and will thus allow his spirit to reach The Adamantine Halls.</STRONG>

Yes, I see. And because I understand, I am sure he will, too! Thank-you! *picks up a torch and matches, and checks hair on the way out the door*

unclejam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2007, 06:58:00 pm »

The creator of dwarf fortress also plays go!  Makes too much sense...

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2007, 07:35:00 pm »

Just to show you how slow mail is getting to my house, this thread has been around for just over a week. My issue came in yesterday.

Great article! Now two of my favorite free games have been mentioned in GFW.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4