Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: advice on how to defend my entrence  (Read 1941 times)

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
Re: advice on how to defend my entrence
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 09:06:33 am »

remember, if you want more space you could dig a new entrance and wall off the old one. For a flooding chamber you really need a z level below to dig out the drains. Traps doors and draw bridges are fine against goblins, but when something with the building destroyer tag shows up you either get lucky with cage traps (cage traps are way too good) or you need a well designed flooding chamber where the creature gets drowned before it can destory the drainage hatches/flood gates for the room or break out another exit.

another cheap option is to build animal lures. Build some pillars around the edge of your map (a few tiles from the edge, 6 maybe) and chain an animal to each pillar. Then build walls around the animal leaving one entrance (if the goblins or megabeasts cant reach the animal they wont go for it, but walls are useful to stop archers from just shooting it). Then surround these walls with cage or weapon traps. This will both kill goblins and slow their advance giving you time to get all your dorfs into burrows. An improvement on this is to build what is known as the cave in trap. Dig out a z level below a small hill, build one support, build a chain attach animal, surround the animal with triggers, all linked to the support. When enemies close for the kill they trigger the support to colapse and bring down all the z levels above on the intruder.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 09:34:25 am »

Sometimes, if you don't feel prepared, there is no shame in simply sealing up your entrance. Live off plump helmets for a year while your military trains non-stop into an elite fighting force. Then when you're ready, lower the drawbridge, and the goblins will be in for a big surprise! :)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 04:08:19 pm »

Sometimes, if you don't feel prepared, there is no shame in simply sealing up your entrance. Live off plump helmets for a year while your military trains non-stop into an elite fighting force. Then when you're ready, lower the drawbridge, and the goblins will be in for a big surprise! :)
I actually did that for so long one time that a siege force... left. I didn't even know that could happen.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 05:22:40 pm »

once ive got all i want off caravans and dont want any more migrants i often seal the outside world off. Then I dig, and build, and store up untold riches, and then dig some more and keep digging deeper.

If your going to seal your fort its worth creating a walled garden somewhere on the surface with a few important stockpiles there just so your dorfs get some fresh air every now and again to avoid cave adaptation.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

ffaerie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 06:08:16 pm »

Supplies of copper, silver and stone is like 95 of 100 embarks nowadays. Wood - varies. What you want, is to make another corridor alongside the first one and carve some fortifications into a smoothed wall (make sure there's a floor above, or things can climb over them) and make your marksmen shoot from there. Or just put a few weapon traps with some serrated discs, 3 of them with 10 x glass or anything -disc- quality make sieges quickly be lifted and a lot of limbs flying around (read - broken and cheesy beyond measure).

oneguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 01:34:52 am »

ok now i have a new problem. enemies will charge blindly into my traps, just as i wished. and once they get through they usually face all my dwarfs and then get over powered and easykills for my dwarfes. but when they start coming to fast i shut my secondary gate and lock them out long enough for me to rearm some of the cage traps finish off any stragglers, and let my wounded get to the hospital. maby feeding and watering my solders. all as planed...

now here is the problem. when i open my draw bridges to let the next wave in only a few stragglers come through. the rest  just sit there, any not near my entrence might flee but those that had been close when the gate closed seem to have gone brain dead. they dont advance past my traps, they dont move t'wards my fortress, they just sit in a 1 by 1 winding hallway, or shortly outside and attack anything that comes near. thats a problem because nothing i do gets them out of it. if i send solders to attack them they usually kill it them they go right back to were they were standing. and i cant overwhelm them in a 1 by 1 space. and because some are outside of my main gate as well i cant work on building any thing around them (like a pump system to flood them all away)

what would cause the AI to freeze like that?

sry if im not coherent im tired and frustrated by this development.

and ill post a screene of my actual gate system tomarow

« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 01:38:48 am by oneguy »

Fireborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 05:20:15 am »

This sometimes happens when you capture their leader in a cage trap too.

Basically, there's a power vacuum in their leadership chain, and they'll mill about until they get bored and leave.  If you've got access to the top of your trap, archers should solve the problem.  Assuming the leaderless horde isn't ranged themselves.

Another solution would be to put weapon traps in said 1*1 space, so that they have to choose between standing there and continuing to breathe.
Pages: 1 [2]