Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: You are a barbarian peasant.  (Read 9674 times)

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a barbarian peasant.
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2011, 11:04:50 pm »

The cock crows at the crack of dawn, startling you awake from a terrible dream. You would describe it, however, it is but a fleeting memory now. You rise up to put your clothes on and step outside. You're in time to witness the sun climb over the horizon beyond the eternal steppe. Your scouting companions are not far off, they've gathered equipment they find necessary and you pack some extra tools onto your horse: a spear, shield, and handaxe. Just as the peasants begin leaving their homes to rebuild, your scouting party takes off into the fields. In no time, the village is a grey speck between scarlet sky and golden fields.

-----------------------------
I'll add more tomorrow, ive had a long day...
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2011, 03:39:35 am »

Romans usually have sentries outside their forts too. They'll have a spear and be hiding as best they can. They'll either attack or raise the alarm. Possibly both. I can't remember if they had them in groups of two or three.

Edit: Also, the fort might not be held purely by legionaries. It will, in fact, probably have auxilia. They could be almost anything, from a dedicated cavalry regiment to a light infantry to a skirmisher regiment. Be cautious.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 03:41:27 am by Dsarker »
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2011, 06:15:15 pm »

Before you know it, your party is advancing through the woods. One of your scouts has had an idea, to use the foliage as a sort of camouflage. You decide to start pruning trees for your new disguise. By the time you're back on your horses, you've made it to a considerably thick part of the woods. You're afraid your horses may injure themselves on the rough terrain. Will you leave one of your men to set up camp and watch the horses while you and the others continue on foot? If so, who will you leave behind?

Inventory
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2011, 06:23:39 pm »

We should leave our Bro behind. I don't trust those nameless horse archers, and they have bow. Plus, it leaves the GM an opportunity to launch us into a "Get your bro back" sidequest.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2011, 06:26:58 pm »

What's our brother like? Can he handle himself, or is he a complete simpleton? Hard to say where he'll be safer.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2011, 06:29:40 pm »

What's our brother like? Can he handle himself, or is he a complete simpleton? Hard to say where he'll be safer.

Your brother is generally a reliable person, but he is known to let his curiosity get the best of him.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2011, 06:30:51 pm »

We should send our brother back home, with at least one other horse archer as a guard. He's going to get us all killed out here.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2011, 06:34:40 pm »

If you send your brother home with the horses, it is likely to take way longer to get back on foot.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2011, 06:35:01 pm »

The brother may want to get in on the action, and besides, if we scout efficently enough, no romans should slip past us. We should tie the horses up and all go in.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2011, 06:38:22 pm »

Hmm... Yeah, I don't think our curious brother should be left guarding the horses.
But also, if we're just scouting, we shouldn't need to go all in...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2011, 06:42:21 pm »

One of your scouts has had an idea, to use the foliage as a sort of camouflage
Yeah, let him think it was *his* idea...

Given that the brother was in the hunting party, I think he can handle himself.

Leave one archer to guard the horses, have our brother come with us, and send the other two archers in a group to scout a different way. Everyone meet back in about an hour if we're using the sun as a clock or whatever.

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2011, 06:57:34 pm »

That sounds like a good plan

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2011, 08:31:03 pm »

Okay. Problems with the plan:

1. Romans (or Auxilia) will have scouts outside the fort, hiding. If we split up, they are less likely to see us, but we're also less likely to see them.

2. Even if we do get past the scouts, I can tell you what we will see. A ditch with spikes, a wooden palisade. We won't know numbers or what type.

A typical legion would consist of 6000 men. This includes a dedicated cavalry group.

Even if, by a miracle, we get inside the camp, how will this knowledge help us? The Romans will be able to easily defeat us.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2011, 08:37:55 pm »

Thats great, but does our character know this?

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2011, 08:53:01 pm »

If this were historically accurate, which is kind of what I'm going for, I'm not even sure how extensive Roman settlement of Crimea would be. According to wikipedia, the largest Roman military settlement in Crimea was Charax  which was evacuated around the time this game takes place.

edit: and Charax was nowhere near feodosia.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 09:06:48 pm by Svarte Troner »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14