Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: Steam Summer Thing  (Read 24570 times)

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Steam Summer Thing
« on: June 30, 2011, 04:02:04 pm »

So, yeah, this summer thing with the unlockable DLC and stuff. How're you guys finding it?

I tried to do the A(*whatever)hh! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity thing first and have subsequently found myself losing all interest in the summer thing. God damn, I hate that game so much.

Guide:
Name of Game - Achievement Name - Description. Advice.
Spoiler: 30th of June (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 1st of July (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 2nd of July (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 3rd of July (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 4th of July (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 5th of July (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 6th of July (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 7th of July (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 8th of July (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 9th of July (click to show/hide)

Try and note that by this point in time, a lot of the achievements have been for the games you can get unlockables for with your tickets. It's more than likely that by the end of the week, EVERY one of those games will have the achievements in at least one day. I also suspect Valve has given a lot of weight to including Potato Sack games in the competition thing, so keep an eye on them if you have them.

EDIT: Thanks to everyone who's contributed to making this actually marginally useful. :D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 03:07:29 am by RF »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Summer Thing
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 04:03:49 pm »

Haven't tried it yet(still at work) but at the very least you can probably get a bunch of easy ones like the "Join this steam group" achievement.  If it is anything like the portal ARG sales then there will probably be one easy one that doesn't even require owning a game to complete every day.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 04:24:45 pm »

Yeah, judging by the last time Valve did an event like this (the Treasure Hunt), there will be one 'free' event per day. There appear to be 11 days (including today), so that's an easy 11 tickets. Each prize costs 3 tickets, so if you get lucky and own even one of the games required for a daily event (or can spare, say $2 for one of the cheap indie games), you've got 4 prizes, easy.

...I'm just a bit shocked by the difficulty of some of these achievements. DoWII's achievement was trivial (seriously, Last Stand + Lord General = achievement by wave 5). Lead and Gold's achievement appears impossible if you're not playing with a friend in an empty server trying for the achievement. Toki Tori's objective is moderately challenging, too. The difficulty of the achievements seems to be all over the place.  :-\

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 05:57:23 pm »

The Swords and Soldiers one is easy if people are trying to grab the easy tickets.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 06:15:22 pm »

Anyone got a link to the info on this?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 06:20:10 pm »

Anyone got a link to the info on this?

http://store.steampowered.com/summersale/prizebooth/

If going for the tickets, you don't have to do them that very same day apparently.  You have until the end of the sale. 

You also need at least 10 games in your wishlist.

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 06:10:24 am »

The BIT.TRIP.BEAT one isn't too hard.

Anyone fancy getting the Lead & Gold one, because that's going to be impossible to get with the lolarious lag that happens on Lead&Gold servers.

EDIT: YES FINALLY GOT THAT DAMN BLOODY CRAPPY GAME'S ONE. YES.

Also, hilarity itself: "No purchase necessary." Hahahahahah.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 06:20:05 am by RF »

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 07:07:23 am »

So, yeah, this summer thing with the unlockable DLC and stuff. How're you guys finding it?

I tried to do the A(*whatever)hh! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity thing first and have subsequently found myself losing all interest in the summer thing. God damn, I hate that game so much.

Yes that one was a pain in the arse to get. What you need to do is to take advantage of the checkpoints (the blue mesh). First fall down, go for maximum hugs and kisses then crash just before the next check point. On your second run grab any scoreplates and if you have to make a choice between two plates crash again after grabbing one and grab the other on the next trip. Repeat all the way down, making sure to land in the red circle for a 8000 point bonus.

The BIT.TRIP.BEAT one isn't too hard.
Yes, you only need to hit the first 70 pulses.

Also, hilarity itself: "No purchase necessary." Hahahahahah.

It is similar to the treasure hunt previously in that you send them a postcard with the required details for each summer games achievment that you can't complete yourself for entry in the draw. Of course this is of no use if you are primarily doing the games for the dlc.

I'm going to hold off on getting any of the dlc prizes until near the end of the 10 days so I know how many tickets I have to work with.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 07:09:48 am by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 07:09:47 am »

Hoping there'll be a game I own in the future. Seems a lot more likely since there seems to be 6 games per day as opposed to the lower amounts in the previous special events.

Too bad there's only three ticket prizes I actually have matching games for.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 07:10:45 am »

if you only have 3 games you should be able to get the 9 tickets you need off of each day's free ticket.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 07:33:44 am »

Yes that one was a pain in the arse to get. What you need to do is to take advantage of the checkpoints (the blue mesh). First fall down, go for maximum hugs and kisses then crash just before the next check point. On your second run grab any scoreplates and if you have to make a choice between two plates crash again after grabbing one and grab the other on the next trip. Repeat all the way down, making sure to land in the red circle for a 8000 point bonus.

In the end, I didn't do that. (Except for that bit with the double 2 Grand plates.) I just ended up managing to get as many kisses as possible with few crashes and got 36,000 points.

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 11:18:32 am »

Looks like Magicka is going to be one of the challenges.

Swedish Summer Achievement
Experience Rain and/or Blizzard 20 times during one Versus match to unlock a much needed treat.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 11:35:44 am »

Well that was silly.

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 11:43:46 am »

I suspect M&B: WF&S will be involved in today's activities, too. It JUST got achievements.

Summer Fest
Complete the summer feast quest found in any village on the eastern side of the map.

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 12:07:40 pm »

Steam keeps shitting itself at the sheer amount of traffic:

Error 503 Service Unavailable

Service Unavailable

Guru Meditation:

XID: 807481758

Varnish cache server
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18