Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Possibly stupid fortress defense idea  (Read 1663 times)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Possibly stupid fortress defense idea
« on: June 30, 2011, 02:59:21 pm »

So I got this nice caged Ettin around my fortress. I am thinking that maybe I should chain it up somewhere out in the open near the entrance of my fortress and forbid my dwarfs from getting within its striking range. The idea is that when something such as a goblin invasion comes, they will engage the Ettin in combat. The problem with this idea is that I am not 100% confident that I can get the Ettin out of the cage and into restraints without the Ettin slaughtering my dwarfs, and even if this works the Ettin would likely try to kill any merchants that come as well as invaders. Furthermore I am almost positive that my cats won't give half a shit about the fact that I am forbidding people to get near it and I do not currently have catsplosion problems so I don't want all my cats dead yet. Could anyone give me some input as to how to go about setting this up and whether or not its a bad idea?
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Possibly stupid fortress defense idea
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 03:20:53 pm »

As an idea, yes you're right, it's terrible practically.

An alternative however is to have a deep dark pit which you dump it down, cover the pit with a bridge and then through some means get the goblins/elves/troublesome almost all nobles down there with the ettin to play. The easiest way would be to have the bridge to be quite long (as in X by 10) and pull the lever when the enemy is about half way across. This would work better with true mega beasts though because as far as I know, an ettin is only a half mega beast. I think even a few goblins can take down an ettin.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 03:37:35 pm »

i tried almost this same thing once.
didnt work out very well.

archers will turn your chained up ettin into a pincusion.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 03:51:27 pm »

I believe I tried something like this with a dragon.  It sort of worked, since it killed a goblin or two.  It died in it's own fire, if I recall correctly.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 03:58:24 pm »

Create an alternative entrance to house your chained Ettin, an airlock within two bridges and some tightly-closed yet passable doors to forbid animal passage, with a sharp, diagonal turn, to force marksgoblins to engage in melee with him/her, and create a burrow for it, just to be even more sure no dwarf will attempt to go there after the chaining.
Remember, before assigning the Ettin to the chain: link the restraint to some lever, just in case in the future you'll want to relocate him/her.
With this system, even if the goblins end up killing your Ettin you may trap them within the bridges.

As for the chaining process, it's mostly luck dependent.. even if you build the cage right by the restraint, assign animal caretaking to an armored civilian dwarf both very agile and with very good dodging skills and hope s/he can get away before the ettin realizes what's happening.

If you want to retrieve goblin armor and stuff, you could add some hydraulics.

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 10:26:31 am »

This is easy guys. Just 'b'uild the cage outside your entrance, hook it up to a lever and close it off. When the goblins come let it loose and keep some cage traps nearby to catch it again.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 10:35:00 am »

Why even a lever? You could simply build pressure plates next to the cage, you wouldn't need to care about pulling the lever at the right time.

Or, get some more ettins and make a doberman bomb, except with ettins.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 10:58:23 am »

Simple solution. On flat lands, channel a three wide entrance. Or just cut into a hill. Three wide ensures depot access. Give 10 tiles and channel down 2 z-levels. Dig out and rise up the rear side. Lay a retracting bridge over the outside, and on the inside, a raising bridge. Me, I'd use a step trick to send traders up and out of harm's way. Ramp, Wall, Ramp on the primary z-level, with a raising/retracting bridge that leads to the Depot one level up. That ensures that they get out of the path way in case of invaders/ambushers.

Now you can safely chain the Ettin at the bottom of the pit and going through is the only option the gobbos have. Particularly useful if the only way around the raised bridge are long trap corridors. They'll get abused by the Ettin, and then run a trap gambit. If there's anything left that's not mincemeat you can let the military handle it.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 11:02:10 am »

Your ettin will likely get slaughtered. Cage the goblins, strip them, then drop them down a couple of levels to the ettin's lair. That should keep it until the gobbo gets a lucky roll and decapitates it.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 11:59:58 am »

Your ettin will likely get slaughtered. Cage the goblins, strip them, then drop them down a couple of levels to the ettin's lair. That should keep it until the gobbo gets a lucky roll and decapitates it.

You mean...

"Ulspa O'Prisoner punches the ettin in the left head and the severed part sails off in an arc!"

I would like to see that.

Ettins have two heads right?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o