Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Religious dwarfs  (Read 4390 times)

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Religious dwarfs
« on: June 30, 2011, 02:56:26 pm »

Sooner or later, I will build five temples, four small ones around a huge central one. This is an explanation of what they will be like:

Water Temple: A small, 24x24 building with an 8x8 pool of water in the centre. A temple to the God of Water.

Fire Temple: Another 24x24 building with an 8x8 pool of magma instead of water. A temple to the God of Fire.

Air Temple: Yet another 24x24 building, same size pit, but about 10 z-levels deep, with crossbow traps everywhere in the hole. The bolts are to simulate forces of wind throwing debris all over the place. A temple to the God of Air.

Earth Temple: Same as all other temples, same size, same pit, but a down stair in front of the pit, which is covered with a clay floor and a single support under it. A lever connects to the support with a caged sacrifice under the floor. A temple to the God of Earth.

Blood Temple: Ah, yes. A huge 40x40 building, with a 16x16, 10 z-level-deep pit in the middle, with activated upright spikes at the bottom. An altar of five crude sacrificial devices, to dispose of captured enemies and annoying nobles, will look like this:

|-|-|-|-|-|
|R|R|R|R|R|
|S|S|S|S|S|

- and |: wall.
R: restraint.
S: upright spike trap (activated when sacrifice stands on it)

I'm not so sure if one can safely uncage an invader and assign it to a rope or chain, but let's assume these killing devices can work for now. This temple will be dedicated to the All Mighty Armok, God of Blood.

The altar will face north and should be straight when building Armok's temple, and the temple should be at least 3 or four levels high and have crystal glass windows dotted every four tiles with gem windows in between those, with C for crystal glass windows, and G for gem ones in this diagram:

-C-G-C-G-C-G-C-G-C-G...

And so on until the temple is complete. Green glass should be placed in the same intervals as crystal glass windows in the Earth God's temple. Install clear glass windows the same way with all other temples.

Of course, you monotheists could build just one of the temples in the EXACT same way I described them, with the doors facing south.

For polytheists, have Armok's altars face north, doors to His temple facing south, with all the other temples' doors facing AWAY from Armok's temple.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Religious dwarfs
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 04:57:10 pm »

Cool idea! I may try to set up something similar in my current fort - a small set of temples for the more common gods.

Is there any way to see how many dwarves worship particular gods without just examining each dwarf individually? I know your idea is a bit more holistic and elemental, but I'm going to try to have a few "themed" temples for the more common gods...
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 05:04:48 pm »

Set up a meeting area in the temples, so that when you have idle dwarfs, imagine that they're worshipping one of those gods

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 05:16:40 pm »

I'd love to be able to designate temples so that religious dwarves go worshipping there.

Then I'd love to put a pressure plate linked to a magma trap there so the naive dorfs will die a horrible death.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 06:16:24 pm »

No love for god of love?

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 06:37:38 pm »

The megaproject I'm working on is similar. I'm going to build a giant temple to armok around the magma sea. Underneath is going to be a giant treasury filled with gems and artifacts and all placed underneath an impenetrable fortress. Once the temple is built the blood god will demand 10 animals, 1 enemy, and one dwarf sacrificed a year. Eventually when the dwarves have incured enough wrath, armok will back up the world, posses the dwarves to dig out the area around the fortress untill the whole thing is supported by one 5 z level pillar linked to a lever in the temple. Everything living will be moved to the temple and the lever will be pulled. BOW DOWN BEFORE THE MIGHT OF ARMOK!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 06:52:21 pm by rutsber »
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 08:22:44 pm »

maybe look through the gods your dwarves actually worship and devise something for each of them-common domains include mountains, metals, minerals, wealth, jewels, caverns, fortresses.  some more odd ones ive seen is: plants, sky, the moon, the rain, rainbows, salt

etc

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 08:31:07 pm »

I will sacrifice one dwarf and 5 animals to Armok each year on the first day of summer if the temple is built. Right now, I've got Elven traders to deal with, and my military isn't fully prepared to deal with anything bigger than a rat at this point. My temple is not going to be built until my mining is finished and I get some things to sell to those smelly, hypocritical freaks and fellow house building, above-ground dwelling humans.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 12:46:04 am »

One of main deities of my tribe is only associated with writing. How to make a temple for it? Dwarves don't know writing, right? I've never seen ink or clay tablets, besides they seem too "naturally limited" anyway. They don't even have Intelligence.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 12:51:15 am »

Engravings.  Get dorfs who like specific animals to scribble on the floor and walls.  If all goes well you'll get letters, and with some luck words will appear.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 12:52:48 am »

There was a similar megaproject that may interest you: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85233

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 01:26:36 am »

Engravings.  Get dorfs who like specific animals to scribble on the floor and walls.  If all goes well you'll get letters, and with some luck words will appear.

My little ones prefer to mimic early cavemen apparently, with hunting scenes, or at most little children, with suns and clouds, but that is actually a good idea. Engravings may be considered a form of writing for illiterate.

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 04:01:21 am »

writing was engraving, then evolved to hieroglyphics, then symbols. and somewhere along the way it went from expressing a scene or image or thought into specific sounds that stood in for the original image/thought/idea

so they have writing, just no language

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 07:01:28 pm »

Is there any way to see how many dwarves worship particular gods without just examining each dwarf individually?

Just curious...I've poked around a bit both in-game and with third-party applications, and I still have not found any way to scour my dwarves to see how many worshippers of which gods I have other than just checking thoughts one by one. Do I just need to bite the bullet on this, or is there something I'm missing?
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

ffaerie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 07:06:34 pm »

This is a very good idea, and I would like to elaborate on the part of worshipping. More nobles sounds indeed like ‼FUN‼ too. You could have a poly or single deity worshippers, obstruct the unbelievers, oh the possibilities...

Why not make it so Dwarves worship their Deities and things that they express, like a Buddha made of Billon and so every worshipper of him likes billon. That'd resolve many and many illnesses of current 'likes' system issues with 'aluminum beds' and 'some foreign creature hoof stuff' which are simply impossible apart from moods currently. The Deity your civilization worship of course would "like" things that are common to your civilization. And if you could also choose a primary Deity (or view Deities of your civilization at embark) it'd hand to hand with some min-maxing, which won't hurt, I think.

fake edit:

I just throught it all over and it's really huge thing one could have here. Priests demanding tributes, amounst of prayers going to their Gods, dwarves spending more time praying instead of partying at some stupid table until you just make a meeting hall zone instead your lavish statue garden and dining hall.. They'd wield some powers beyond those of mortals, like being able to recall to their temple or chapel (when they need a drink). That could've been counterbalanced by the death of gods themselves, if your whole population is engraving stuff and in military it's not like there are many prayers going to their god, unless the prayers are those of 'last moment before seeing the light'..
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 07:11:57 pm by ffaerie »
Pages: [1] 2