Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Why no mining?  (Read 5455 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Why no mining?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 04:32:39 am »

I've actually played a 2D Roguelike which was very open-ended and allowed on to build a house anywhere (except for the towns, which is somewhat odd but understandable as they're already cramped).

Too bad the system was rather lame. You'd typically want to build your house in friendly territory, where the walls were useless, and so you'd just build a floor tile and a healing pod on it.

What game did you play?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 04:39:20 am »

Couldn't remember the name just a moment ago but browsing through Roguebasin helped: "3059" is the name. It seems to have a sequel as well, I'll try that out someday.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 04:40:17 am »

Hmm , sounds scfi.... might work.
Desu

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 04:42:20 am »

Yeah, it's scifi. I never played it that much but I would've preferred it if it was permadeath... I hated getting my character reduced to shreds. Didn't even feature an inbuilt "start-over" tool IIRC.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2011, 10:19:58 am »

Back on topic...
Desu

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2011, 10:23:32 am »

Yeah, back to the point. Basically, I'd prefer it if every dwarf-doable action from Fortress Mode would be doable in Adventure mode as well. Solo forts!

Or just a small underground hideout.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2011, 10:42:56 am »

well if you want to mine here's the thread on how to do it.
oh and underground hideouts are Tricky to pull off
1. have a fort retired/abandon
2. go to the fort from underground
3. switch over to fort mode from underground
4. mine out a block or smooth stone and your ready to play this game on hellish mode.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2011, 10:59:49 am »

I might try that, but I'd like it to be core functionality instead of having to rely on magical tricks and artifacts.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2011, 04:51:14 am »

I'm pretty sure that, for the far future, Toady plans for an adventurer to have the ability to do anything any individual entity can do in legends or dwarf mode.

Holy SHIT that'll be hard to program :P

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2011, 05:02:24 am »

Why would it be that hard ( Impling that I don't know anithing about programing yet)
Desu

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2011, 05:29:59 am »

Why would it be that hard ( Impling that I don't know anithing about programing yet)

Mostly because, right now:

1) A lot of legends mode individual actions are just fluff text. No real implementation.
2) Fortress mode and adventure mode use a lot of the same systems (thus how you can switch from one to another with dfhack), but the gameplay itself is very different. We don't have queued jobs and such in adventure mode AFAIK, we don't have the unrealistic dwarf mode time abstraction, we don't have a lot of things. Adventure mode is so different from fort mode that traps are an init option :P

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2011, 06:10:43 am »

Mostly because, right now:

1) A lot of legends mode individual actions are just fluff text. No real implementation.
2) Fortress mode and adventure mode use a lot of the same systems (thus how you can switch from one to another with dfhack), but the gameplay itself is very different. We don't have queued jobs and such in adventure mode AFAIK, we don't have the unrealistic  dwarf mode time abstraction, we don't have a lot of things. Adventure mode is so different from fort mode that traps are an init option :P
uhh that whole Dwarf mode Time thing can be simulated in adventure mode if you throw your character into a Cage trap. Which I guess skips their turn(for they are not in play during their time in the cage) and makes the game run in 'real time' until something breaks the character free like say someone setting the cage on fire via a trail of quick igniting items that will burst into flame if in contact of fire and a pre lit tree and waiting for the cage to break. you could also use Dfusion or Runesmith to set the adventurer flag to cage and that would have the same effect of canceling any turns and making the game go into DF real time.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2011, 01:11:01 am »

So...Adventure mode is in the same timeframe as DF when not on the travel screen. The only difference is you're viewing it from a different perspective?

It's all in the relativity...I should have payed more attention in physics.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2011, 02:13:05 am »

As far as I know the adventure mode uses the same time system as dwarf mode - except that the game is on wait when your character is waiting for your orders.

At least that's how I'd approach it.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2011, 01:25:09 am »

If you want to have your own little hideout, just make like a violent hermit crab and kill a night beast, then seize its lair to use as a base of operations.
Pages: 1 [2] 3