Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Why no mining?  (Read 5460 times)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Why no mining?
« on: June 30, 2011, 06:33:57 am »

I haven't tried adventure mode, I just read about it on the Wiki. It sounded like fun but then I realized that nowhere it says that you can mine or build! I've always wanted to build a solo-fortress or a hideout. Please tell me I'm horribly mistaken and that this is possible...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Barnox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why no mining?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 07:06:49 am »

It is not possible.
However, I strongly believe that Today has future plans to add things possible in Dwarf Mode to Adventure Mode.
Case in point: The Adventurer reactions, butchering the corpses.

So, just enjoy the crazy combat for the minute, and wait for the mining and building to turn up.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 07:25:21 am »

Well, I guess I'll give it a shot anyway. Adventure mode sounds like fun even without mining and building. DF would trump Minecraft for good!
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 07:41:46 am »

I don't really get the Anti-Minecraft sentiment...

Anyway, adventure mode really is fun, I hope you have a great time. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 08:00:18 am »

I don't have one, in the sense of hating the game. Something about Minecraft just puts me off. I'm ok with other people enjoying it, and I like building and mining in general. That's why I'd like DF to feature solo mining as well, so I'd have an enjoyable alternative.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 08:47:40 am »

From the development page:

Basic Adventure Mode Skills

Some survival skills
        Ability to butcher corpses with an appropriate tool
        Ability to make clothing and some other objects from hides
        Ability to obtain a sharp (or at least non-smooth) edge on a rock
        Extend adv mode starvation/dehydration times to appropriate number of days
    Wood use
        Ground debris/sticks/underbrush
        Ability to chop down tree using appropriate tool
        Ability to make simple wooden weapons and ammunition
        Ability to use logs to make constructions
        Site recognition for saving adventurer-made sites (will require entity pops first, see below)
        Ability to name site
    Digging and stone constructions
        Ability to dig out soil tiles
        Buried boulders in some soils
        Ability to pull up surface boulders
        Ability to make rough stone constructions
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 09:59:05 am »

you guys could mine if you use DFhack's DFmode to switch over to fort mode, but so far you can only do it on a fort site.
you can read all about it in my guide called Pick and Axe which is in my sig under Adv homes.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 01:41:11 pm »

you guys could mine if you use DFhack's DFmode to switch over to fort mode, but so far you can only do it on a fort site.
you can read all about it in my guide called Pick and Axe which is in my sig under Adv homes.
I actually have a question about that.
When you switch from fort to adventure mode, what happens to the various military settings you've got set up? Burrows?
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 03:09:06 pm »

I haven't tested military but I do know the dwarf would continue being a army dwarf after the switch and travel, burrows I was told doesn't stick after you leave the area.
now switching over to adventure mode is safe as long as you don't have any capture tamed creatures for they are still classed as wild animals and will attack every one.
"body swapping and YOU!"

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 07:07:55 pm »

Elitism, I think. Minecraft can be compared to one-dwarf HFS-less DF, but with a learning curve. (For comparison, DF has a learning CLIFF.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 09:57:43 pm »

I was sort of put off by no mining in adventure mode. I bought a pick and tried to nteract with it, expecting to get an option on which soil tile to hit. It came up with "There is nothing to do with the -iron pick-". I was annoyed.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 11:41:51 pm »

I was sort of put off by no mining in adventure mode. I bought a pick and tried to nteract with it, expecting to get an option on which soil tile to hit. It came up with "There is nothing to do with the -iron pick-". I was annoyed.
I was kinda like that too.
back in 40d when I ask that question.
Now after fiddling with Tweak, Fiddling with Dfusion and Fiddling with adventure mode/fort mode game play I don't ask about being able to mine. Now I ask how to effect the legends mode through Fort and Adventure mode.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 02:49:48 am »

Elitism, I think. Minecraft can be compared to one-dwarf HFS-less DF, but with a learning curve. (For comparison, DF has a learning CLIFF.)

I already told you, I have no such sentiment. I like mining and building games in general, but Minecraft puts me off. Maybe it's the fact that the game doesn't have much else than building fancy buildings one after another, maybe it's the fact that no matter what I build, someone has built something more awesome I will never reach without countless hours of imaginary work... I'm fine with other people loving Minecraft but I just don't like it, like some elitists don't like milk or coffee. I'd just rather build a neat little underground cottage in Dwarf Fortress.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 03:12:44 am »

Someday we will be able to build things , maybe make small setlements with workshops and maybe the ability to make weapons via smelting and other items... capturing animals , etc etc , you know what I mean.
But I think this won't happen right after the Caravan Arc is finished.(I'd wish that , If this happens this game will gain more popularity than it has now)
Desu

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 03:41:40 am »

I've actually played a 2D Roguelike which was very open-ended and allowed on to build a house anywhere (except for the towns, which is somewhat odd but understandable as they're already cramped).

Too bad the system was rather lame. You'd typically want to build your house in friendly territory, where the walls were useless, and so you'd just build a floor tile and a healing pod on it.
Pages: [1] 2 3