Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Silver weapons?  (Read 12358 times)

The Button

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Silver weapons?
« on: June 30, 2011, 04:27:13 am »

Are silver weapons good?  I've started with a silver two handed sword, and are TH swords better than short swords

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Silver weapons?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 04:28:57 am »

Silver is good for edge weapons , because its a light metal , but it won't be good for blunt weapons , good blunt weapons require a heavy metal.
Desu

Guuo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 05:05:48 am »

Actually silver is a terrible material for edged weapons, but the fourth most dense metal making it quite good for hammers and maces.

IcarusOne

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 06:41:18 am »

Or rather, the best non-strange mood material for blunt weapons. Though against the rare bronze colossus, you might want steel blunt weapons instead. (Not cotton candy, even copper is better than cotton candy for blunt.)

Suprisingly, in my experience silver is still better for edged weapons than copper.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 09:05:24 am »

in fight of 20 humans with copper Short Swords vs 20 humans with silver Short Swords

silver just won with 7 left.
will test if Clothing changes the out come.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 10:08:54 am »

ok first up is rope reed clothing. this time the copper weapon team won.
and pig leather is a copper team win.
cave spider Silk is a copper win.

so silver is just crap vs any kind of armor.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

cyancanine402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 05:04:01 pm »

Silver is c*** against armor as an edged weapon.
Also, for the two-handed sword, I believe it is better. I think it has a higher contact area, so it will dismember more?
[DF_DEPENDENT]

RayesKotrora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 07:47:18 pm »

If you start out with a silver edged weapon, sell that baby and buy yourself a nice iron longsword and something else to go with it. If you start out (or find) a silver blunt weapon, cherish it with your life. They are amazing. Silver whips are a gift of gods among men (if you are skilled with them).

Och skänk henne dessa vinflaskor in bed henne dricka all sorg ur sitt sinn.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 02:52:36 pm »

Ran a test yesterday of a silver war hammer versus a iron one. Iron won every time. I think heavier density of a weapon increasing its damage is a DF urban myth
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 03:09:42 pm »

were they naked?

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 08:54:13 pm »

Ran a test yesterday of a silver war hammer versus a iron one. Iron won every time. I think heavier density of a weapon increasing its damage is a DF urban myth

Silver weapons come into their own when everyone in the fight has large amounts of armour on.

Especially top quality, good matierial armour.

Somewhere around here there is a thread that has a heavy breakdown of this with hundreds of fights worth of testing done and a massive spreadsheet of how different weapon/armour combos fare against each other, and silver hammers conclusively DOMINATE any fight with adamantine armour on one side or the other.

The reason for this is that blunt weapons can still get their best effects (broken bones, crushed skulls) through the ada plate, where edged weapons, whatever the material really can't.

So if you are facing off against an armoured juggernaut SUPER soldier, then your silver whip/hammer/scourge is your go-to weapon. Otherwise, you are better off with some kind of edged iron/bronze/steel/ada weapon.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

RayesKotrora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 11:25:03 pm »

Silver weapons come into their own when everyone in the fight has large amounts of armour on.

Especially top quality, good matierial armour.

Somewhere around here there is a thread that has a heavy breakdown of this with hundreds of fights worth of testing done and a massive spreadsheet of how different weapon/armour combos fare against each other, and silver hammers conclusively DOMINATE any fight with adamantine armour on one side or the other.

The reason for this is that blunt weapons can still get their best effects (broken bones, crushed skulls) through the ada plate, where edged weapons, whatever the material really can't.

So if you are facing off against an armoured juggernaut SUPER soldier, then your silver whip/hammer/scourge is your go-to weapon. Otherwise, you are better off with some kind of edged iron/bronze/steel/ada weapon.

It's also very good against organic megabeasts and titans. A silver whip/warhammer (Not 100% sure on the war hammer aspect of this as I always use a whip. 5x velocity bonus is ever so beautiful. Whips are essentially limited-range bullets. I usually use a longsword/axe until I find some spoiled rich captain with a silver whip, then I use it as a combo.) can treat a full grown dragon like it's merely a puny, naked human. It breaks bones without fail every time and if you get a hit in on the head, it's a 95+ percent chance it kills them (remaining 5% is either a concussion or broken spine).

It's so good that I tend to have fun with it and try and bruise both of the dragon/hydra/whatever's lungs with it and then just mess with it until it suffocates.

Och skänk henne dessa vinflaskor in bed henne dricka all sorg ur sitt sinn.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 09:27:17 am »

I never actually use silver weapons. I just pick them up off of dead enemies and walk (or limp, depending on my condition) to a nearby town to sell the silver stuff.