Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Things you wish you knew earlier  (Read 5723 times)

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things you wish you knew earlier
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2011, 04:32:49 pm »

Macros:

Ctrl+r
<keystroke series>
Ctrl+r

Ctrl+p to playback.

This works anywhere keystrokes work. Designate standard bedrooms by 5 or 10 at a time. One touch flags an entire screen of goods to be traded. Designate 2 levels of pump stack, then designate the other 40 in under a minute.

You can save and reuse them as well, but it's ridiculously good for tedium like trading all on its own. I almost never hear anyone mention macros.

100 hours wasted.  Kill me.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2011, 04:43:40 pm »

Mass dumping.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2011, 05:11:02 pm »

Posting to watch.

If you want the forum to notify you of new posts to a thread, just click the "Notify" link (right next to "Reply" at the top/bottom of the page) - there's no need to actually post a message.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2011, 05:14:38 pm »

Posting to watch.

If you want the forum to notify you of new posts to a thread, just click the "Notify" link (right next to "Reply" at the top/bottom of the page) - there's no need to actually post a message.

Oh thanks... I shall don the newbie dunce hat for the rest of the day.  This thread's so good, I'm learning about more than the game itself!  Is there a way to unsubscribe from a thread?, because I've looked for that and never found it.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2011, 07:23:31 pm »

Posting to watch.

Oh thanks... I shall don the newbie dunce hat for the rest of the day.  This thread's so good, I'm learning about more than the game itself!  Is there a way to unsubscribe from a thread?, because I've looked for that and never found it.

Profile > Modify Profile > Notifications.

I know, but in my experience, retracting can get stuck, whereas raising has always worked. I lost 3 Dwarves and a Dog in my last fort, because my bridges wouldn't drop a Cyclops into my drowning chamber, and so i had to send soldiers out to kill it the old-fashioned way.

trap_avoid creatures (ie. cyclops) prevent bridges from retracting or opening ... its part of there !Fun!

My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2011, 07:51:41 pm »

trap_avoid creatures (ie. cyclops) prevent bridges from retracting or opening ... its part of there !Fun!
Cyclops jam bridges because of their size. I'm not going to believe without proof that any creature with trap avoid will prevent a bridge from operating.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2011, 07:59:02 pm »

Adventurer mode : Starting attributes affects maximum obtainable attribute , Ie Average Strenght for Human 1000 : Max Strenght 2000 (roughly 2x the start value).
Quite important when you really need that extra speed or strenght to combat efficiently.

Also , Hero or Semigod seems to affect overall critter strenght as well, making combat a tad more difficult if you dont train up levels early.

Zaroua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2011, 08:08:55 pm »

Healing speed has a huge impact on the usefulness of soldiers. A soldier who's "Incredibly quick to heal" will stop bleeding almost instantly and spend a lot less time in the hospital after battles. They'll also pretty much be immune to infection. Not sure if disease resistances affect the chance of getting rotted alive by forgotten beasts and such.

Also, if a dwarf gets infected by a really nasty forgotten beast poison/blood/dust/etc, it's possible for that dwarf's blood to become infected and spread the infection further (and produce miasma if indoors).

The personality if your broker is quite possibly the most important part of the job - you want one that doesn't take breaks or doesn't take time to make decision. I had a broker in a new fort for the first caravan, the broker took a lot of time to make decisions. I had the broker bringing items to the depot, he'd bring an item to the depot, move 40-50 tiles away from the depot with a "No Job" status and then go back to the craftdwarf's workshop that I had built next to the depot and had epic clutter of crafts and mugs, bring 1 item to the depot, move back 40-50 tiles away, move back to the workshop... Needless to say he lost his job once I realized that almost nothing was at the depot by the time the merchants were leaving.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2011, 09:39:00 pm »

Lol, don't just have your Broker bring stuff, have everyone help haul it in.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2011, 01:06:04 am »

It took me about half a year to figure out that you can dig staircases instead of constructing them and then channeling down to construct another one. Dear god there was not enough desk for my head the day I found that out.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Khris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2011, 02:01:15 am »

I wish I had known earlier that I can adjust the level of accuracy my manager works with and that with the highest level I can see all items in a nice menu where I can also easily forbid, claim and dump stuff.

It took me about half a year to figure out that you can dig staircases instead of constructing them and then channeling down to construct another one. Dear god there was not enough desk for my head the day I found that out.

lol, it took me a while to figure out that you can construct staircases instead of only digging them. I was always wondering why I could never make upward staircases in an already existing hall.

zakkeh

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2011, 08:20:18 am »

3x3 staircases... I had so many problems with just 1 tile staircases when I first began playing with my dorfs running into each other. So glad I watched Captain Duck's DF tuts
Or perhaps you're just sadistic and enjoy slow-cooking your goblins/kittens/nobles.

Elu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2011, 12:54:42 pm »

firstly, the self-claiming bedroom thing, i've used contless hour selecting berdoom, parsing the dorf list to a suitable dwarf and assigning it.
now i also discovered the macros, that make the process of designing 150 2x2 bedroom a lot less dreadful.

and the stockpile feeding that i still don't undrstood completely, but seems something exceptional.

Dwarf Fortress, a game which learning curve is a Himalayan trail covered in blood. and alcohol. on fire.

English is not my mother tongue, please point out my mistakes and help me improve it : )

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2011, 02:03:38 pm »

Ramps are more FPS efficient.  I rarely use stairs anymore.

Profile > Modify Profile > Notifications.

Ah this isn't what I was looking for, actually.  I tend to go directly for the "Show New Replies to Your Posts" link instead of actually browsing the forum, and there are a few threads I would like to stop showing up there.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2011, 02:32:07 pm »

Butchering via the animal stocks screen.

Honestly never knew about it until yesterday.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5