Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Things you wish you knew earlier  (Read 5710 times)

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things you wish you knew earlier
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2011, 03:25:46 pm »

I still don't entirely understand stockpile feeding and how to best use it....

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2011, 03:43:59 pm »

I still don't entirely understand stockpile feeding and how to best use it....

It's sort of a distributed supply chain. Say you have your blacksmith cranking out silver statues. The lame no-quality ones should stay near the forges to be melted down, while masterworks should go near the jeweler's to be encrusted. Make a furniture stockpile that accepts all quality level silver statues near the smithy. Then make a furniture stockpile that only accepts masterwork statues near the jeweler's, perhaps in a burrow that includes cut diamonds and the jeweler's shop. Set the jeweler's pile to take from the catchall pile. The decoration pile will check the catchall and have all masterworks sent on, leaving you to mass-melt the lame pile and reforge them.

The downside is, it's a "pull-only" setup; one final pile can take from any number of smaller ones, but each smaller pile can only feed into one larger one.

You can: have a ton of smaller finished goods stockpiles that bring undecorated trade goods to leatherworkers/tailors/jewelers, that all send the decorated items on to a master pile by the trade depot.

You can't: Have a massive wood "inbox" stockpile that feeds separate piles for nethercap, fungiwood, and tunnel tube piles.

Does that help?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2011, 04:28:16 pm »

You can't: Have a massive wood "inbox" stockpile that feeds separate piles for nethercap, fungiwood, and tunnel tube piles.
You can sort of do it by doing the following: have one big woodpile that feeds into a nethercap / fungiwood / tunnel tube pile, that feeds into a nethercap / fungiwood pile, that feeds into a nethercap pile. I don't think dwarves will put the nethercaps straight into the right pile. They'll probably take it to whichever pile is closest before realising that it should be in this one -- no, this one -- no, this one. This method doesn't seem to work very well for items in containers. For those, it's more consistent to have independent stockpiles.

I use stockpile feeding for supplying the prison area, and for moving raw materials from their sprawling main stockpiles to the smaller ones close to the relevant workshop.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2011, 05:14:08 pm »

It's sort of a distributed supply chain. Say you have your blacksmith cranking out silver statues. The lame no-quality ones should stay near the forges to be melted down, while masterworks should go near the jeweler's to be encrusted. Make a furniture stockpile that accepts all quality level silver statues near the smithy. Then make a furniture stockpile that only accepts masterwork statues near the jeweler's, perhaps in a burrow that includes cut diamonds and the jeweler's shop. Set the jeweler's pile to take from the catchall pile. The decoration pile will check the catchall and have all masterworks sent on, leaving you to mass-melt the lame pile and reforge them.

what if, instead, i just forbid masterwork statues in the smithy pile? would that cut down on hauling jobs?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2011, 05:34:54 pm »

Posting to watch.  So far, I didn't realize that you could type stuff in on the trade depot stocking screen.  I knew about macros, but didn't realize how easy they are.  Want more!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

revara

• Bay Watcher
  • The entropic pluck of strings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2011, 06:00:42 pm »

Feeder stockpiles! - Awesome, why didn't I ever think of this ^^

Now I can finally use all my masterwork furniture for encrusting, while selling anything that's not worthy of a badass pony dwarf!

I just still wish I knew some good non-metal defense...

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2011, 06:20:42 pm »

what if, instead, i just forbid masterwork statues in the smithy pile? would that cut down on hauling jobs?

For that example, yes it would. However, things in bins tend to get separated more easily with a take command on the stockpile, otherwise I've had issues with bins half full of decorated items that didn't get shipped out because it was still technically just a "finished goods bin." I just got in the habit of feeding it all like that to keep lazy peons busy.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2011, 07:08:47 pm »

I just still wish I knew some good non-metal defense...
Bolts from behind.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2011, 08:43:07 pm »

Does that help?

Yes, thank you very much.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2011, 10:30:26 pm »

Making seperate stockpiles for each plant that you farm prevents plumphelmetsplosion from taking all the barrels and holding up booze production.

Kattel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2011, 12:21:05 am »

Eh I've been playing for a while and haven't used dwarf therapist ever.  :o

Is it really that good?

ummmmm. yes...yes it is. I honestly dont know if id be playing this game if there was no therapist or similar around.
Invaders: Our arrows will blot out the sun!
Me: Then we will fight in the SLADE.
I fear that each time it tolled out the hour, some part of our souls would mournfully yearn: "A puppy should have died just now, but didn't."

AUTOMATIC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2011, 02:24:59 am »

Ctrl+R, Ctrl+R, Ctrl+P

Macros seem to be something difficult at first but they are essentially just 2 buttons (4 with save/load)

I built 5-6 pump stacks by hand, from 30z to a monster of 120 z levels. Hours wasted.

And using macors I can designate the whole thing for digging in just 40-60 key presses, and build with roughly same.

Now I have a huge list of macros for everyday use and I even assigning similar smelting jobs for my 4 furnaces with macros (record while I'm assigning to first, replay for remaining four).

Building weapon traps - ctrl+P, left, ctrl+P, left, ctrl+P, left, ctrl+P - four traps designated for building.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2011, 03:32:29 am »

Workshops not making noise.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2011, 03:33:28 am »

Dwarfs have emotions...
Desu

waerth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2011, 10:54:20 am »

Dwarf therapist stops me from going insane ..... even when only managing 15 dworfs!

So yes Dwarf Therapist is an addition to DF that is extremely valuable!

W
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5