Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Things you wish you knew earlier  (Read 5717 times)

Kattel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things you wish you knew earlier
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 03:59:39 am »

I know, but in my experience, retracting can get stuck, whereas raising has always worked. I lost 3 Dwarves and a Dog in my last fort, because my bridges wouldn't drop a Cyclops into my drowning chamber, and so i had to send soldiers out to kill it the old-fashioned way.

trap_avoid creatures (ie. cyclops) prevent bridges from retracting or opening ... its part of there !Fun!
Invaders: Our arrows will blot out the sun!
Me: Then we will fight in the SLADE.
I fear that each time it tolled out the hour, some part of our souls would mournfully yearn: "A puppy should have died just now, but didn't."

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 04:32:13 am »

I really wish I knew that I could press SHIFT --> ENTER to automatically use all of one material to build constructions. It's been a week, and I still can't believe I never saw that...
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 04:43:20 am »

I wish I knew that you don't need to irrigate in this version to grow on soil. Also that you could fill up a hole with an activity zone. I spent ages on screw pump arrangements before I even got to farming.

dfJuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 05:05:08 am »

Glad I made this thread, never knew about ctr+r

revara

• Bay Watcher
  • The entropic pluck of strings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 05:48:23 am »

Bookkeepers, and the ability to check what stones can be used for ingame through the Z menu. It's nice to not alt-tab to the wiki every minute, now!

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 08:07:42 am »

The ability to select items by manually typing their name in the 'bring items to depot' screen.

The 'x' 'expand' menu when building furniture, which allows you to see the quality and the contents if it is a cage.

I play since 2009 and i discovered the latter two weeks ago.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 08:35:12 am »

Macros:

Ctrl+r
<keystroke series>
Ctrl+r

Ctrl+p to playback.

This works anywhere keystrokes work. Designate standard bedrooms by 5 or 10 at a time. One touch flags an entire screen of goods to be traded. Designate 2 levels of pump stack, then designate the other 40 in under a minute.

You can save and reuse them as well, but it's ridiculously good for tedium like trading all on its own. I almost never hear anyone mention macros.

Oh god this.

Now all we need is intelligent macro-ing that can ignore items that are already selected or made of wood. Then I will never have to concentrate while trading ever again! GWAHAHAHAHAHA

Also, I had an orgasm when I first heard about the bedroom thing. It made me that happy.
[Signature]

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 10:28:36 am »

U->M
Wait, so I can set objects to build in workshops? and in exact amounts? no fiddling with workshops? its distributed and done automatically? It resumes automatically when materials become available? FFFFFFFFFUUUUUU

This one.  I played for months micromanaging all my production workshop-by-workshop.  My head just about literally exploded when I discovered all you needed to do was assign a manager to use the job manager screens.  Same thing with bookkeeper.  I never bothered assigning either of those for the longest time.  Nowadays I don't even embark without an expedition leader with some accounting and management skills.

Macros are another big thing I don't take enough advantage of.  If I took the time, they would probably revolutionize my gameplay.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 10:42:57 am »

Finally finding out about mass dump,claim, forbid, melt. I believe not knowing these key commands is what caused my old keyboard to wear out. Latest  though is when farm area gets overgrown with weeds, build a dirt road, then removing it leaves furrowed soil ready to build a farm plot on.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2011, 12:39:50 pm »

I really wish I knew that I could press SHIFT --> ENTER to automatically use all of one material to build constructions. It's been a week, and I still can't believe I never saw that...
:o

d-b menu. j-m menu.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2011, 01:37:11 pm »

Macros:

Ctrl+r
<keystroke series>
Ctrl+r

Ctrl+p to playback.

This works anywhere keystrokes work. Designate standard bedrooms by 5 or 10 at a time. One touch flags an entire screen of goods to be traded. Designate 2 levels of pump stack, then designate the other 40 in under a minute.

You can save and reuse them as well, but it's ridiculously good for tedium like trading all on its own. I almost never hear anyone mention macros.
whoa dude.
you just said a bunch of stuff that i WANT to understand, but dont. Would you mind repeating that last bit in way more detail?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2011, 01:39:12 pm »

eh? what's this?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2011, 02:14:52 pm »

Eh I've been playing for a while and haven't used dwarf therapist ever.  :o

Is it really that good?

Anway I wish I knew the trick of locking a jeweler in a room of the stuff you want encrusted sooner, to many random barrels and bins encrusted with every gemstone imaginable.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2011, 02:37:04 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You got it.

The simplest example is trading. Say you have 10 screens of stone mugs, all in bins at the depot.On the trade screen, with the first item selected, press ctrl+r to begin macro recording. Then press enter, down, enter, down, etc. to select a full page, move the selector down to the next screen, and press ctrl+r to stop recording. Now the select-one-trade-screen macro is active, so you can press ctrl+p to play it back, and it will do exactly what you just did, select an  entire page for trade and end with the cursor on the first entry of the following page. The current macro is active until you load another one (ctrl+s, ctrl+l for save/load macro, respectively), record another one, or leave the game.

This works with anything that takes keystrokes, so if you wanted, you could have an entire macro series to designate->dig a workshop complex, another to build all the shops and create/designate stockpiles, dig pump stacks, whatever.

For advanced reading and/or manual control, try the wiki page for macros.

To see the idea taken to its glorious, time-saving extreme, check out everything related to Quickfort.

Now watch as I reply to two posts at once!

Eh I've been playing for a while and haven't used dwarf therapist ever.  :o

Is it really that good?

Anway I wish I knew the trick of locking a jeweler in a room of the stuff you want encrusted sooner, to many random barrels and bins encrusted with every gemstone imaginable.

Therapist is awesome. It's that good and better.

For jewelers, just make large-ish room with the jeweler's shop, a gem stockpile, and a whatever you want encrusted stockpile. Order the gem stock to take whatever you want to encrust with from the main pile, the target pile to take from whatever you want, and put a door on the room. while the jeweler is working, Query and Lock the door. The same thing can be done by making a burrow that encompasses the cut gem stockpile, the jeweler's shop, and a (for example) furniture stockpile that only accepts masterwork gold statues, and assigning your best gem setter to it.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Ferozstein

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes magma and dwarves for their macabre ways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2011, 02:56:26 pm »

Being able to feed a stockpile from another stockpile. Found out about it only a few days ago.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5