Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Roguelike/rpg/strategy/sim wild west game?  (Read 7344 times)

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Roguelike/rpg/strategy/sim wild west game?
« on: June 29, 2011, 11:30:52 pm »

I was just thinking it would be awesome if there was a western themed roguelike but I couldn't seem to find any. Is there anything similar that someone could recommend? I've seen that new game from the Armageddon Empires people but haven't played it. It looks more like a card/board game type thing but still looks pretty cool.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
Re: Roguelike/rpg/strategy/sim wild west game?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 01:37:05 am »

It's pretty much the opposite of a roguelike, but Red Dead Redemption is supposed to be really good anyway.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 01:42:12 am »

There aren't enough Western games of any kind. I wish the game you're asking about existed, I'd play the hell out of it.
I remember recently reading Bohemia Interactive had originally wanted to do a Western RPG before the beast that is ARMA was born. If only.

Oh, but there is the 1866 mod for Mount & Blade. I don't know where the team is at in terms of Warband, but the mod for the original M&B is prime.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 01:44:57 am by yougiedeggs »

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 01:49:01 am »

I've been thinking about creating a Roguelike equivalent for Red Dead Redemption, but that's one of the about 50 projects I've conceived but haven't actually worked on.

I'll put that between "P.A.L.M - Program A Lawn Mower" and "Cruel Mercenary Company - The Game".
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 02:19:57 am »

I keep wanting Frontier 1859 to happen but it probably never will.

http://www.frontier1859.com/

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 02:21:27 am »

Here's a short piece on Roguelike development with the Wild West setting, by the way: http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php/Wild_West

(edited to remove silly typo)
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 02:48:47 am »

I'd love to play RDR but my there is something wrong with my graphics card so i'm pretty much stuck with indie games for now(which is not a terrible thing). Yeah, I've read that stuff on the rl basin but most of that is coming from a project from around 05 which has obviously stopped development. It also talks about a pen and paper rpg but you can see the potential is there for a great game. I'd love a game where you could try to make money playing texas hold em and if you won with a bluff then there could be a small chance you would end up in a gunfight :D Oh I wish someone would make this game...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 02:51:20 am by joey4track »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 02:57:30 am »

Recently someone posted a link to Caraveneer[1], which is very much tiled graphical when it comes to combat (rogue-like, if multiple player-controlled characters are your thing) and was addictive enough for me[2] to leave me doing little else for far too long.  And there's plot-line issues to deal with, as you can't just keep going round the obvious circuit indefinitely due to supply and demand being affected by your own actions[3].

Not quite Wild West, as it's supposed to be a post-apocalyptic (well, global-warming) future with "Mad Max-lite" travel options (once you get to where there's vehicles), but it's really not too far from pure horses'n'gunsmoke era if you stick to the vehicle-less areas and treat the M16s and rocket-launchers that you can still buy there as being just mildly anachronistic for the otherwise Wild West setting...

[1] Easy to search for in Google, first link is a good in-browser playing link, but the second one down is the SugarFreeGames page (the developers/publishers) with a full download of the game, then there's the SFG "Play in browser" one, IIRC.  But the downloadable one will probably let you save your progress (without creating accounts on the appropriate online provider's site) rather than have you sitting at your machine for eight or ten hours straight.

[2] I have the spreadsheets and text notes to prove it! 

[3] On the other hand, after the hundredth time seven guys with swords try to attack your three gun-men and fail, you begin to wonder why they aren't running the other way when they see you coming, instead.  But "getting attacked by robbers with horses" (who seem to be surprised to be attacking you) is a good way of getting additional fodder, if you also resist the temptation to take the horses and carts themselves meaning you're almost as low on fodder as you were.  I imagine the same will happen with more advanced vehicles, but I decided to rip myself away from the game before that happened.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 03:00:25 am »

Well, the concept I had been toying with was a fairly open, mostly premade region. The character would start fairly young with some mobster killing his family. The only actual objective in this fairly open world would've been killing said mobster (best ending, revenge is sweet), and it would have a time limit of a few decades (no hurries!) since after that the mobster would die of old age (neutral ending, he's dead but where's your sweet revenge?). Difficulty is increased by the fact that the mobster has calmed down and become quite elusive, doing most of his dirty work through henchmen. In addition to gunslinging, you'd also build a house, get a wife and have children, grow crops or everything you saw fit.

And I've got it all implemented - in some parallel universe where I am not a chronic procrastinator like in this one.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 03:06:49 am »

And I've got it all implemented - in some parallel universe where I am not a chronic procrastinator like in this one.
I bet that your alternate-self and my alternate-self are the world's most famous rivals in that world's coding community!  But I'm sure you and me can still be friends. :)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 03:10:02 am »

In this universe, I very much prefer collaboration to competition. If I ever get the wild west thing started, I'll invite you all to join!

(I'll get to it as soon as I've finished my Genetic Algorithm Tanks and another Roguelike I've been working on. And the Conquer the World as a Secret Society game)

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 04:28:32 pm »

Yet another ending could be if you failed to kill said mobster before he dies you could always exact revenge on his son  :P

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 04:57:38 pm »

Yet another ending could be if you failed to kill said mobster before he dies you could always exact revenge on his son  :P
Becoming the dominant crime-boss and elbowing the mobster out of the action by ruthless[1] power-games so that he dies in poverty, the remnants of his macabre machina having being taken over and put towards your own higher purpose, could be considered a superior ending for the high-stakes player who can combine Green Hornet[2] and Granny Weatherwax stratagems to Get Things Done.

[1] But possibly non-lethal, or at least justifiably retributive in all regards, leaving you the moral high-ground in this battle of wits...

[2] Not the recent movie version, who was a jerk (and written as such), but the more traditional version.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 06:27:46 pm »

Six Gun Saga

While not a rogue-like this game was originally developed to be one. It turned out into a card-style game.

I've heard some very good things about it.

main website

Rock Paper Shotgun Impressions

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 06:56:16 pm »

I always wanted a DFesque game where you run a frontier town or outpost and you have you're own character that you'd use to battle outlaws. Sadly, there really isn't that many western games out there. RDR is by far the best one I've played, and it still falls short in some places. I really hope that the western genre will expand thanks to RDR's popularity.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.
Pages: [1] 2