Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kobo eReader  (Read 1290 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Kobo eReader
« on: June 29, 2011, 10:20:55 pm »

So I got one for my birthday, it looks pretty useful but I want to know, is there anything to look out for, any little details that could cause problems or anything, as well, any input on them at all would be good, and we could also discuss the merits of them or something like that...

This is worded horribly but I hope you get the idea.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Kobo eReader
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 11:23:54 pm »

So I got one for my birthday, it looks pretty useful but I want to know, is there anything to look out for, any little details that could cause problems or anything, as well, any input on them at all would be good, and we could also discuss the merits of them or something like that...

This is worded horribly but I hope you get the idea.

I've always liked the idea of e-readers, but I'm waiting till they go colour so I can read comics on them.   :D
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 11:52:56 pm »

I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 02:44:24 am »

Pah, e-readers! I much prefer good ol' fashioned books!(Though e-readers are probably the smarter choice for avid book readers, the 'books' themselves cost significantly(typically, anyway) less than their paper grandfathers)

Edit: Also don't take that thing anywhere you can drop it. I'd wager the screen isn't all that durable.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 02:47:22 am by Megaman »
Hello Hunam

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 09:14:13 am »

Aren't they already colour?

Hmm!  I guess they are!  I might need to do some research.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 01:34:30 pm »

I have a Chapters card, so some are cheaper there, but there are plenty that are public domain now I can get for free, I think.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 08:34:48 pm »

Aren't they already colour?

This gadget kind of misses the point of the whole e-reader thing.  E-Paper displays are what made them practical in the first place, due to battery life, size, readability under all ranges of light, etc.  This might as well be a tablet pc, except it doesn't appear to have the advantages of either.

I want to see e-paper in color.  So very much  :'(
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 11:06:43 pm »

I bought The Crippled God and got The Art of War, Crime and Punishment and War and Peace all for free since they're in the public domain! This thing is great, so far.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 12:28:34 am »

I have a very basic e-reader called a Pandigital Novel. It runs on the Android platform, and has an unlocking software tool that allows you to use it as a rather basic tablet. It reads .epub ebook files just fine, which is great because, for example, Project Gutenberg provides .epub files. It's no where near the level of the iPad, but for reading books, surfing the internet, and even viewing video, it functions well within the level of being enjoyable.
!!&!!

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 04:26:54 am »

Get the program Calibre for any e-reader. It's a library system, metatagging, and conversion platform! It's awesome. I have a Kobo as well and I love it. Make sure you load up the latest firmware via the PC Kobo client also!

The color e-readers lose the main feature of an e-reader currently: the e-ink screen. Without that, you may as well just buy a normal tablet and run the kobo/kindle/nook whatever apps!

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 07:43:51 am »

I have to say, I like the kobo, but it can sometimes be a bit infuriating with it's slowness.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 11:34:11 pm »

The screen seems unresponsive whenever I turn it on, but it's fine after a couple muttered curses... I love Project Gutenberg; The Prince, and On War were both just added to my collection for free (bitches).

About Calibre, I might look into it as my collection grows, at the moment I have <10 books, so it's unecessary, but I can see it being useful later.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 10:35:55 pm »

I fully reccomend Machiavelli to any and all aspiring assholes... Wait-No-DON'T! Machiavelli told me not to clue you guys in! Dammit!

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 10:40:38 pm »

You're reading the Prince wrongly if you think it's for assholes.

Machiavelli wanted a secure state, one that people could live in happily. So to do that, he needed a few things. One was a prince who knew how to act correctly. So the Prince was written. He knew that a military was needed to protect the state, so he wrote how to best make a military. He himself said don't be an asshole. Because if you're an asshole, people will rebel and YOU WILL LOSE

Be a tyrant or a beloved prince.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."