Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dating dwarfchines  (Read 2939 times)

peglegpengeuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dating dwarfchines
« on: June 29, 2011, 07:12:03 pm »

In my biggest fortress most of my dwarfs don't know each other. I assume that's how most big fortresses are meant to be, so as to prevent tantrum spirals. There is one problem with this, however - my population stopped growing once immigrants stopped arriving. I like population.

I understand that nobody knows exactly how dwarfs become lovers. All we do know is that they must spend excessive amounts of time next to each other (and that their descriptions might do something). So here is my proposed dwarfvention - a dating machine. Two spaces surrounded by walls, and maybe a locked door or two. Two compatible dwarfs are locked in with booze and food. They leave lovers. Lovers who will make babies.

I do not fully understand dwarf mating rituals, including what initiates a pregnancy. If busy dwarfs do not get busy in bed, then it may be better to go for breeding rooms. Dwarfs may be selected at birth as breeding dwarfs, who spend their entire lives procreating in small, locked rooms. A possible mechanism for releasing babies could be an exit hole. As we all know, babies are suicidal and love jumping down holes. Probably the best place for a hole, efficiency-wise, would be in place of one of the walls, so as to not cut into the living space.

A simple alternative to the dating room could be something I call the chatter box. It is a dating room with many more than two dwarfs all stuffed into two spaces. This is easy to make and can make tons of romances with little work, but will also make everyone friends. As we all know, dead friends = tantrum spiral.

I am no good at dwarfgineering, and not sure how to get my dwarfs laid efficiently. Maybe some of you guys can give me suggestions to work off of/do all the work for me? It should be an interesting/useful enough idea to catch people's interest, I foolishly think.

Man, I really hope there hasn't been a post about this yet. I did search for it, but probably didn't come up with the right keywords.
Awesome website for people who like suggestion games: Choice of Games

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dating dwarfchines
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 07:17:14 pm »

*waits patiently for this to become GATTACA as people attempt to breed dwarves who are belarded with fat yet extremely muscular with all the perfect attributes and traits*

I notice my miners tend to hook up a lot though. Even when I give them no idle time. They just spontaneously decide to be lovers when they work next to each other for long enough.

peglegpengeuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 07:49:48 pm »

Well, I meant just for getting huge populations, but breeding super dwarfs sounds pretty fun too.
Awesome website for people who like suggestion games: Choice of Games

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 08:13:00 pm »

Do squadmates of opposite sexes become friends/lovers? If so, then drafting lonely dwarves in search of love into two member M-F squads may work. For kicks, you can station/assign them to various tasks to train them up. A "beach date" could be a trip to your 4/7 swimming pool. For long moonlit strolls, station them at the far corner of the map. For couples therapy, have them spar.

This demands !!science!!
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 08:18:14 pm »

Well, seems to me that you could simply have the two dwarves share a single 4x2 sleeping area (two assigned bedrooms of 2x2 space), and after long enough they'd become attracted.
Also: As far as I know, dwarves breed through spores, like everything else. Intervening space means nothing. So once they're lovers or married, let them work as much as you need.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 09:14:24 pm »

I don't think they'll keep having babies once you are above 200.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 09:44:03 pm »

i'm pretty sure that baby cap and max population don't interfere with each other, so if you have 200 dwarves you can still get more babies. or you set the popcap to 500 or some other huge number.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 10:28:12 pm »

Tl;dr THIS. IS. SPARTA!
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 10:43:56 pm »

One thing I've noticed, and my dwarves are usually too busy suffering to find time for lurve, is that dwarves of similiar age seem to become lovers more often. *Shrug* Dunno if that helps. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 10:54:36 pm »

You must do it...

For !!SCIENCE!!
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

SolPyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 11:43:55 pm »

well one time i wanted my mayor to have babies so i found i dwarf with really similar personality traits and locked them together in a two by one space for a year. i had to keep them fed by dropping barrels of booze and organs on their heads but it worked and she had load of kids for the next 10 years (then a giant cave toad ripped her to pieces). finding a similar dwarf took a long time though.
Quote from: Neil Gaiman
George R.R. Martin is not your b****.

callahan.44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 12:05:43 am »

You didn't have to throw the giant cave toad into the room with them!
"I had it all. I had a fortress that was very decent, a military that was getting very respectable. I was close to being complete."
"Shit man, now it's all gone."

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 12:15:44 am »

I must point out a significant flaw with the dystopian eugenics programs; dwarves evolve more traits as they get older.  Babies who start out weak may well be strong by the time they are of age.  Even then, a bit of pump training will do wonders. 

Animals are a different story though.*returns to quest for perfect leopard and honey badger breeding program*
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Tetragenic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 02:47:18 am »

Add [NO_EMOTION] to the dwarf raws. Will stop them getting sad when you "deal with" the weak and unnecessary.
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Dwarven Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 07:23:43 am »

Didn't I hear a rumour that Toady was planning to make your dwarves start noticing this sort of thing and get paranoid?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!
Pages: [1] 2