Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Hellgate 6/30/11  (Read 2687 times)

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hellgate 6/30/11
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 04:16:28 am »

The downloader sucks. Like I have nothing other to do, have to keep moving it around then.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 12:02:11 pm »

You can actually just close it, when you reopen it, it verifies everything that's already been downloaded.
However say you're 70 percent on part 3, I think it completely restarts the part.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 12:04:39 pm by Vherid »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 12:28:45 pm »

So it's later tonight.

Also, only up to Act 2 is free to play. You need to fork over cash for a "ticket" to get to the rest of the game.

Ah, now I get it. 

And won't get it.  ;)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 12:46:39 pm »

So I left my computer on overnight to download this. Turns out it got like 98% of the way through the second file before closing itself. I had a lot of DLing to do this morning.  ::)

But no matter. Just finished installing it.

P.S.: Don't click Options on the launcher. It crashes. Hurray, quality.

EDIT: Also, the servers aren't up yet. Yay. It is 6/30/11, right?  ::)

Editedit:

Quote from: The website
"Hello Everyone,

We are pleased to announce that you will no longer need to download a new client to play. All you have to do is run your existing Hellgate client and let it patch automatically. Servers open on June 30, 2011 7:30PM NY Time.

Also, the Ticket will be priced at $4.00.

Thank you and see you at the gates."

So it's later tonight.

Also, only up to Act 2 is free to play. You need to fork over cash for a "ticket" to get to the rest of the game.

whelp fuck this game then.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 01:13:57 pm »

this was a fairly big disappointment.
Nom nom nom

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 01:34:05 pm »

$4 for a game isn't bad at all, even if I did already buy it. If it's $4 per act and mini-expansion, it's still better then Flagship Studio's subscription "plan." Not sure if I'm willing to pay $20 for a mediocre game I already have, though.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 01:43:05 pm »

Ah the old bait and switch. I was only half considering playing this as F2P, and while $4 isn't a lot, it's enough to make me say "thanks, I think I can live without Hellgate in my life."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 01:53:16 pm »

Well, I will try the free part. I think, however, that the Steam sales has first priority for suckering me out of my money :)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 02:48:41 pm »

This download will take a while. And after hearing the $4 thing, I may stop it. But I never got to play this the first time around, so I think it'll be worth the time/ 6GB+ of hard drive space.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2011, 03:01:21 pm »

Not sure If I'm going to play, but I don't think it's a bad model for the game as long as they keep kicking out content.  Especially when the game is free and additional content is cheap.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2011, 04:54:36 pm »

It's your option.  People so spend hundreds of dollars on MMOs (plus the $15/mo raping) currently and with this system you can decide if you want to continue kicking out cash for content if the game is going in a direction you like.  If you don't... stop any time.  You decided to stop before playing even the free stuff.  That's what I find odd.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2011, 06:22:46 pm »

It's also based on what I remember hearing about Hellgate as a game, which wasn't exactly stellar either. If I'm going to install some stupid client and wait hours for a 6 gig download, I want the whole game, not a chunk of the game with the rest hidden behind a micro payment. That holds true for pretty much any game I'm looking at.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 06:31:44 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2011, 09:41:15 am »

It's also based on what I remember hearing about Hellgate as a game, which wasn't exactly stellar either. If I'm going to install some stupid client and wait hours for a 6 gig download, I want the whole game, not a chunk of the game with the rest hidden behind a micro payment. That holds true for pretty much any game I'm looking at.

While you're certainly entitled to your opinions and choices, not even trying it when the initial part IS free seems... strange.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2011, 11:22:40 am »

Time and hassle often trumps free.  I've skipped a few good deals before because the games require me to make an account(dungeons and settlers specifically).  People downtown are always trying to give me free newspapers. 

Free doesn't mean you should automatically go for it, especially when you aren't that interested in it to begin with.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2011, 11:59:43 am »

Welp, this is boring.

I got the commlink from the Stephan guy and didn't bother any more lol.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!
Pages: 1 [2] 3