Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tobun Oddomgoden the Dragon Slayer  (Read 1460 times)

Khris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tobun Oddomgoden the Dragon Slayer
« on: June 29, 2011, 10:30:55 am »

One of my axedwarves (level 5 only) just single-handedly killed a dragon without getting injured!  :o

So I was still cleaning up the mess of the last siege when Tul Fortuneglowing the Gold of Warmth showed up and walked to my fort.
I was setting up a siege engine, but it wasn't ready, so I was kinda worried and set my squads to await him inside and let the dragon walk through the traps first.
The dragon breathed some fire and killed two of my normal dwarves, then Tobun Oddomgoden showed up, I didn't even know why he was out there, he was supposed to be with the squad, but the dragon engaged him and well, I just thought I'd watch him getting killed...and suddenly the fucking dragon is dead.

He even jumped on him and bit him in the head, before tearing apart his brain with his axe!!
Damn, he gets the best room ever!!!

The full battle log, just reading this makes me imagine the epic battle in my head:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tobun Oddomgoden the Dragon Slayer
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 10:36:18 am »

How old was the world? Dragons only reach their real size after 1000 years, though blocking all that dragon fire is a good job.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Khris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 10:40:51 am »

Okay, the world is only 126 years now.

LordHavoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 10:51:52 am »

He shall from henceforth be known as Tobun the Fireproof

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 11:16:32 am »

I've heard that if you melt off a dwarf's fat, then any fire afterwards becomes a non-issue.  It's the fat that burns and causes the most damage, so if you can burn the fat selectively, then they'll be more resilient to fire.  But not weapons.  The fat is a valuable defense against weaker weapons.  Thus, you could make dwarves fire-retardant by burning them shortly before-hand.

Also, small dragons are cute and adorable.  It's the millennium old armor-plated fireballs that terrorize nations.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 11:44:01 am »

I have 2 dwarves that have fire proof heads then thanks to fb fire. Bluemetal helms seemed to stop anything but heat...

Recently had a dragon issue. One arrived that was going into some kind of firestarting mechanism when he got caged. Alas, shortly after setting fire to the countryside (which was cool in as much as it wiped out a large ambush) a novice marksdwarf oneshotted it in the brain .-literally a one line combat report. Annoying.
This is a blank sig.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 11:48:44 am »

I've heard that if you melt off a dwarf's fat, then any fire afterwards becomes a non-issue.  It's the fat that burns and causes the most damage, so if you can burn the fat selectively, then they'll be more resilient to fire.  But not weapons.  The fat is a valuable defense against weaker weapons.  Thus, you could make dwarves fire-retardant by burning them shortly before-hand.

Dwarf Fortress: The only game where controlled incineration of valuable citizens is done.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Khris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 04:06:56 pm »

So, after that attack I had a fire burning away part of the landscape, but strangely the trees didn't catch fire. Is that normal?

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 04:22:29 pm »

Pretty tough little guy. After making all the dragons legs useless he decides to poke some fun at the dragon by biting it in the head.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 04:32:06 pm »

I might be taking it too far by developing a morbidly obese squad with fat layers to protect against weapons (fed on dwarven sugar roasts made of 4 helpings of dwarven sugar and tallow), and a slightly singed squad of firebeast killing dwarves wth no fat via magmafun...
This is a blank sig.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 05:29:49 pm »

Only dragon I've seen so far turned up during a goblin siege.  So it tracked into a tunnel and met 14 goblins armed with crossbows who were camped out there.  The encounter was a fire breath going one way and a salvo of bolts going the other.  And no one walked away from it.

Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart