Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simple way to restrict traffic over ice?  (Read 666 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Simple way to restrict traffic over ice?
« on: June 28, 2011, 03:54:12 pm »

At the moment, I'm marking the surface of all frozen bodies of water as Restricted Traffic so that my dwarves don't drown during a thaw.  Is there an easier way than doing them one-by-one?

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
Re: Simple way to restrict traffic over ice?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 04:01:24 pm »

What are you doing outside anyhow?

I can't think of an easier way. I'd probably just approximate the coverage with a square, rather than fiddley details.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 04:56:35 pm »

Wood cutters and wood haulers for the first winter/early spring in temperate climates.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 05:44:32 pm »

Either build fortifications around the water hazards; or dig a trench that encompasses the water a few tiles away from the edge of said water, and then remove all but 1 ramp from that trench. This causes the area that has the water in it to be a "dead end" for the pathing routine and will never send a dwarf inside that area unless they absolutely must because of an assigned task.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 05:53:48 pm »

When the water freezes over, channel out some of it, and then build a ramp at the edge of the pool.  It won't stop your dwarves falling in, but it should (hopefully) let them climb out if they do.

(Alternatively, you can channel a ramp on a dry-land tile adjacent to the water, although this will cause the water level to slosh about a lot, which may be bad for FPS).
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 06:03:54 pm »

Thanks for the tips, all!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 06:09:08 pm »

At the moment, I'm marking the surface of all frozen bodies of water as Restricted Traffic so that my dwarves don't drown during a thaw.  Is there an easier way than doing them one-by-one?
If you aren't already doing it, mass select the entire pond area, and use the mouse to change back any "extra" tiles marked as restricted.  I did the same thing for my fort and it took all of 30 - 45 seconds to restrict traffic over a 100 tile irregular shaped pond for me ...
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"