Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I don't know what to do, guys.  (Read 1956 times)

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
I don't know what to do, guys.
« on: June 28, 2011, 12:00:00 pm »

All the embarks are boring now. Temperate savage woodlands are so samey, terrifying regions just get all my dwarves killed by ogres or harpies before I can even do shit, I tried a castle megaproject but that got boring too, and I'm just...bored.

WHAT DO I DO?!
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
Re: I don't know what to do, guys.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 12:05:56 pm »

Go glacier. Those are quite fun, and i have yet to be ogre'd on my terrifying glacier. Alternatively, install Fortress Defense Mod, and you'll be having sieges galore. Epic fun, i say. Also, be sure to embark with a military dorf if you go on terrifying places.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 12:06:49 pm »

It sounds to me like you haven't quite figured out Terryfying biomes yet, that would be my suggestion. :)

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 12:07:39 pm »

Take a break from the game. When you come back there will be a new version with new stuff to do. Fortunately this is DF not World of Warcraft, you can stop playing for a while and not be hopelessly behind everybody else when you come back.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 12:08:24 pm »

Man, fuck Fortress Defence. Ten sieges a year is not "fun". I need some kind of cool idea...I don't know what'd be so cool about embarking on a glacier.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 12:12:28 pm »

There are lots of "cool ideas" here:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Challenges

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 12:15:58 pm »

Man, fuck Fortress Defence. Ten sieges a year is not "fun". I need some kind of cool idea...I don't know what'd be so cool about embarking on a glacier.

FD is an amazing Mod. It forces you to play smart, to play defensively, and to build a network of defenses that are more then a line of cage traps. My longest running fort is a FD fort and I love it. Flying invaders are amazing.
DF without DT isn't DF, it's a keyboard-based exercise in masochism.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 12:18:54 pm »

Maybe I'll look around the legends for inspiration.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 12:22:53 pm »

Dig down to, seal off, and colonize
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 12:33:58 pm »

Begin modding, never actually have time to play the game again because you're too busy testing things for personal !!SCIENCE!!
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 12:47:03 pm »

Design an aesthetic. Pick an era and a people in history and design after them. The Bolshevik gulags with their wooden flimsy walls and concrete defensive structures? The German Reichstag? The Roman forums? The Classical America? The Temples of the Inca's? London 1885 underground with it's cascading use of cobblestone, factories and steel works?

Perhaps a combination?
My guys are wandering around wearing plague masks, bowler hats, trenchcoats, waistcoats, pickelhaubes, stahlhelms and capes. All while carrying tippling stick and small swords. Meeting one another in the highest of classes in a 1800s Venetian styled canalworks whilst on their way to the vast basillicas, roman forums and bath houses.
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 04:03:11 pm »

I beg to differ, it's the very definition of Fun. You don't need to respond with such hostility, i was just suggesting things, which was what you asked for. Also, they're cool because they're challenging, much like deserts and/or terrifying biomes, but without sand.

But if that bores you, take a break, start modding or something. I doubt everyone here plays 24/7. (if they do, then i'm entirely alone in not doing so, welp)
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 04:07:38 pm »

All the embarks are boring now. Temperate savage woodlands are so samey, terrifying regions just get all my dwarves killed by ogres or harpies before I can even do shit, I tried a castle megaproject but that got boring too, and I'm just...bored.

WHAT DO I DO?!

Go to an evil taiga region. Youll have harpies and the odd werewolf. bring a dwarf with a weapon and a breastplate and dodging/fighting. An axe or hammer is good. have your other dwarfs in a second squad ready to be called up to serve at the slightest notice. Youll more than likely survive most surface conditions with that. Or go to the caverns and live there.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 04:18:24 pm »

Try my slimelands mod.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Baron Baconeer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:horrifying features]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 04:20:45 pm »

Living in the caves is extreme bloodsports galore. I've had FB:s popping up in a row without even hitting 50 population! Bonus if you try to tame every single creature that comes across.
Yes, mother ****ing walruses stormed in through my well room, fatally gored my expedition leader, and danced off into the frosty tundra to sing happy walrus songs about oysters.
Pages: [1] 2