Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sedimentary layers  (Read 1708 times)

Sjotrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sedimentary layers
« on: June 28, 2011, 07:52:51 am »

Is there some sort of special places you have to look for to find these layers? i have played 5 different games now in order to try to find it, but i never found any iron, coal or any flux which i normally find in sedimentary layers.

are there any special biomes? places? mountains? anyone know?

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sedimentary layers
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 07:54:51 am »

One way to do it mate.

STRIKE THA EARTH.

But in my limited experience, they can be found anywhere, but tend to be closer to the surface.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Sjotrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 08:01:52 am »

yeah, so did i think. but i could go all the way down to the magma seas and still not find sedimentary rocks. :/ i also dug down in all for corners of the map just to see if it was some sort of "biome" that made the rocks generate in other places.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 08:10:59 am »

There are ways to adjust mineral scarity in worldgen options. Sedimentary will be found anywhere outside of mountain biome, in my experience, but not always. At least I encounters mudstone and chert very often, myself!

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 08:14:27 am »

make sure the biome doesn't have a volcano, sedimentary layers occur in areas with low volcanism. Try lowering it in worldgen, too

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 08:53:24 am »

Yeah your best shot is areas designated as 0-20 volcanism during worldgen.  If you have a volcano on your embark screen then chances are you have 0 hope of sedimentary (barring some ninja world parameters)

Personally I find sea and lake beds good. (as they should be)
If you really want volcanos and sediment on the same embark then youll need to tweak world gen.  0 minimum mid volc squares, 0 volc 20-80 tiles.  allow only 100 and 0 in a 2x2 mesh
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 09:30:10 am »

make sure the biome doesn't have a volcano, sedimentary layers occur in areas with low volcanism.

Not necessarily.  I've got a volcano fort with tons of Dolomite.

edit:  Here's the save (note:  Uses Fortress Defense mod)

And here's the world-gen

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 09:42:53 am by Gyvon »

ffaerie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 05:14:43 pm »

To easily find sedimentary layers you could just remove [AQUIFER] tag from all the layers in raws, add [AQUIFER] tags to the chalk, dolomite and limestone entries in inorganic_stone_layer.txt raws, gen a world, find a good embark place (finder actually works in this case!) and make a note on it, abort game, go to the data/save/yourregion/raw/objects and remove the tags from those entries and then start playing on the world you genned.

edit: edited for clarity, since I play with usual aquifers disabled
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 06:55:15 pm by ffaerie »

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 06:43:40 pm »

Just embark near rivers and streams.  I invariably have sedimentary layers at the surface doing this.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 08:02:16 pm »

What I do look for a top level sedimentary layer by embarking and looking at the boulders/pebbles on the ground, since they're of the same type of stone as the first stone layer under all the soil.  I usually go further and look for a top level sedimentary flux layer; if the top layer is sedimentary but not flux then I re-embark somewhere nearby, since nearby areas are likely to have different but still sedimentary top layers.

yacheritsi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 08:47:55 am »

Use the site finder. Search for Flux: Yes, Shallow Metals: Multiple, Deep Metals: None. (And avoid volcanoes.)

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 08:56:13 am »

make sure the biome doesn't have a volcano, sedimentary layers occur in areas with low volcanism.

Not necessarily.  I've got a volcano fort with tons of Dolomite.

edit:  Here's the save (note:  Uses Fortress Defense mod)

And here's the world-gen

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's because your embark is in two biomes. The forest has sediment, and volcano is in the wasteland with andesite as surface layer. Nice place btw.

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 09:42:51 am »

Ah yes, this happened in my second fort (the one that didn't suffer from high levels of HFS). It's a nice forest sort of place, probably with a couple intersecting biomes. I mined it to death, looking for coal and iron, before checking out layers in the wiki and realizing that it seemed I was missing out on at least two of them. All of my other forts have been full of everything though, even the mountain ones.
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.