Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sadventures! Things That Made You Near Something Resembling Pity/Sadness  (Read 2771 times)

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Golly, Deon has a (WIP*) Morrowind mod? Gee whiz, how could I have not seen this?"

So I click the download link, fire her up, and gen a new world. Wasting no time at all I jump into adventure mode head first, eager to skewer swarms of cliff racers and hordes of bandits in search of Fun. What I found however, was far from my initial expectations. I found myself in some nameless town smack dab in the middle of buttfuck nowheresville. I wandered the streets looking for peasants, brave, stupid, suicidal, or any combination therein to join me on my quests for glory and power. However, I kept receiving messages about a named villager falling in and out of consciousness. I ignored it, continuing my search for suitable meatshields. Not long after, however, I found the source of the messages. There, in a pool of filth and his own blood, lay a dying Khajiit. I examined him, his wounds were much worse than I had suspected and he had little time left before he would join the choir invisible. I was lucky enough to get the chance to talk to him as he floated in between awareness and unconsciousness. I asked the bloodied man about his family, he had a plethora of brothers and sisters and uncles and aunts. All of them had died, most of them went in particularly gruesome, violent ways. I pressed my inquiry, surely he must have some surviving family members? But no, all of them had been killed one way or another, either by bandits blade or beasts maw. This carcass which may have once resembled a living person was the last of his line, and here he lie in a pool of blood mustering the last ounces of his strength to relay his tragic tale to a complete stranger. As he breathed his last, a single chord rang out, barely audible. It was Dwarf Fortress, plucking at my heartstrings, and though it fazed me relatively little, this is DF. We gleefully send kittens to the slaughter and use their bones for bolts to wage war with peaceful tribes of Elves armed with nothing more than sharpened sticks. But this dying peasant, unknown and unloved, evoked the tiniest bit of emotion, and my rotted apple core of a heart grew three sizes that fateful day (only to shrink five more when I murdered the defenseless villagers in their sleep that night).

I begin to wonder if this is an isolated incident, or if anyone else has actually felt something bordering on pity during their sessions, if so do feel free to share.

*Not sure if it's been completed, I haven't played it for months.

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had a peasant with anrather sad story.

At one time, we were ambushed. Being a peasant, he then acted much more effective than military personnell (seriously, is it just me or do soldiers suck compared to peasants?) and charged three guys at once, killing two rather swiftly but was outmatched by the third. Seeing the blood of his comrades swirling together on the ground, he then took revenge on the peasant and cut off both his hands.

The peasant continued to live long enough for us to fast travel.

Later, we were attacking a bandit camp, and kicking ass, when a bowman walked from behind a tree, levelled his crossbow at the back of the peasant's head and fired two bolts at him. One bolt missed, while the other connected. It his his eye from behind, and was lodged in the wound. I kill the bowman, and we leave the camp. Upon leaving fast travel, I notice the bolt is still stuck in the eye. Sadly, with no hands, the peasant cannot pull out the bolt stuck in his eye.

It struck me as sad, anyway.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile

I had a peasant with anrather sad story.

At one time, we were ambushed. Being a peasant, he then acted much more effective than military personnell (seriously, is it just me or do soldiers suck compared to peasants?) and charged three guys at once, killing two rather swiftly but was outmatched by the third. Seeing the blood of his comrades swirling together on the ground, he then took revenge on the peasant and cut off both his hands.

The peasant continued to live long enough for us to fast travel.

Later, we were attacking a bandit camp, and kicking ass, when a bowman walked from behind a tree, levelled his crossbow at the back of the peasant's head and fired two bolts at him. One bolt missed, while the other connected. It his his eye from behind, and was lodged in the wound. I kill the bowman, and we leave the camp. Upon leaving fast travel, I notice the bolt is still stuck in the eye. Sadly, with no hands, the peasant cannot pull out the bolt stuck in his eye.

It struck me as sad, anyway.
That's sort of bordering on "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" territory there.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile

I was just starting a peasant adventure with the full intent of carrying him through for the long haul into a god-tier legendary everything. My first mission is a bandit camp, from some potash maker. Pretty normal stuff, nothing too out of the ordinary. I make my way over there, and my target calmly walks around nearby completely unhostile to me. I check around the camp and there are loads and loads of dead bodies, but for some odd reason they all have the last name. I double check the name of the target. Same last name. I walk over to the target and start asking him about various stuff, and he mentions some interesting bits about his family. It seems almost all of them are in fact those bodies lying around. He killed them. A one-eyed badly beat up bowman hobbling around covered in the blood of his dead family. He seems.. oddly uninterested. I attack him, have a rather long drawn out fight due to his somehow ungodly aim and speed, and eventually kill him with one of his own arrows. I head back to the town, and decide to try and find that potash maker again. He has the same last name as all the rest. I start asking about his family... the man he sent me to kill was his son, and every living family member he had except his aunt was dead. The man's next mission was for me to go kill his aunt, who was some form of night creature bride or whatever it is called. She is dead when I arrive. I later check legends, and apparently she was killed by that god damn potash maker.

I don't know if this is sad, or just an insanely confusing family relationship coupled with apparent dementia from two family members. I really fucking wish I had still had that world so I could puzzle out why the bandit murdered his entire family of bandit friends.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Avelon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:INDULGE_IN_MYSTICISM:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile

I once was a dwarf, toting around both hammer and axe, harvesting the humans I so admired for their haunting moos.

This was in an older version, which I don't remember precisely but it was before 28d.

There was a particular house that I recall, a peculiar house. In it were 3 children and their mother, and just outside, their father. I only later learned he was their father via legends.

I knocked politely with the father's head before letting myself into the doorway. Almost immediately, the peasant woman rushed at me, only to be met in the middle by my war hammer and propelled into the back wall. She did not explode into body parts as the two children who next approached me did.

The last one did not run up to me directly, but rather dallied upon each tile for a few turns before moving forward. I looked at him and saw he was on the ground, with a missing leg.

Being a dwarf, I hated seeing asymmetry and moved to correct it, and as luck would have it - it was indeed his remaining leg that I struck off with my axe.

The child was stunned and bleeding heavily, but he managed to move 3 tiles away, to the tile upon which his mother's corpse lay, and then gave in to pain.

For just a moment I stood there, looking at the screen, and then I slowly pressed escape, even more slowly pressed the up arrow, and hit enter.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

m4davis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was just starting a peasant adventure with the full intent of carrying him through for the long haul into a god-tier legendary everything. My first mission is a bandit camp, from some potash maker. Pretty normal stuff, nothing too out of the ordinary. I make my way over there, and my target calmly walks around nearby completely unhostile to me. I check around the camp and there are loads and loads of dead bodies, but for some odd reason they all have the last name. I double check the name of the target. Same last name. I walk over to the target and start asking him about various stuff, and he mentions some interesting bits about his family. It seems almost all of them are in fact those bodies lying around. He killed them. A one-eyed badly beat up bowman hobbling around covered in the blood of his dead family. He seems.. oddly uninterested. I attack him, have a rather long drawn out fight due to his somehow ungodly aim and speed, and eventually kill him with one of his own arrows. I head back to the town, and decide to try and find that potash maker again. He has the same last name as all the rest. I start asking about his family... the man he sent me to kill was his son, and every living family member he had except his aunt was dead. The man's next mission was for me to go kill his aunt, who was some form of night creature bride or whatever it is called. She is dead when I arrive. I later check legends, and apparently she was killed by that god damn potash maker.

I don't know if this is sad, or just an insanely confusing family relationship coupled with apparent dementia from two family members. I really fucking wish I had still had that world so I could puzzle out why the bandit murdered his entire family of bandit friends.
I could be wrong here but I don't think last names carry over

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I could be wrong here but I don't think last names carry over

According to the wiki, they don't. Which only confuses me even more. I doubt it somehow happened through insane chance, so I assume it was some kind of worldgen error.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Must be an error. Go find him in legends mode and take a screenshot of his kill list.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

-snip-

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile

I once was a dwarf, toting around both hammer and axe, harvesting the humans I so admired for their haunting moos.

This was in an older version, which I don't remember precisely but it was before 28d.

There was a particular house that I recall, a peculiar house. In it were 3 children and their mother, and just outside, their father. I only later learned he was their father via legends.

I knocked politely with the father's head before letting myself into the doorway. Almost immediately, the peasant woman rushed at me, only to be met in the middle by my war hammer and propelled into the back wall. She did not explode into body parts as the two children who next approached me did.

The last one did not run up to me directly, but rather dallied upon each tile for a few turns before moving forward. I looked at him and saw he was on the ground, with a missing leg.

Being a dwarf, I hated seeing asymmetry and moved to correct it, and as luck would have it - it was indeed his remaining leg that I struck off with my axe.

The child was stunned and bleeding heavily, but he managed to move 3 tiles away, to the tile upon which his mother's corpse lay, and then gave in to pain.

For just a moment I stood there, looking at the screen, and then I slowly pressed escape, even more slowly pressed the up arrow, and hit enter.

The DF version of sepukku. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Whenever I mass-slaughter enemy soldiers and bandits, I always wonder, "Why? Why do I do this?". Sometimes, I even retreat from a fight in hopes of escaping the bloodshed. But it follows me almost everywhere I go, whether my bloodstained cloak and weapon, or my badly injured and bleeding friends and soldiers. Other times, I actually pose open war and fighting between me and another civilization. When I feel something in me, it screams out, "Stop! Stop it! Do you know what you're doing? Fight no more!". Eventually, I'm going to sell my weapons for food and booze and live as a war-stricken, weapon-traumatized peasant. I'll keep my starting dagger just as a measure of defence, though, in case my city gets invaded.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I feel bad because she was dumped before being slaughtered.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

I suppose it was the time I attacked and killed an entire family of night creatures, not even for money. I began to think about them and everyone else as normal people, fighting to stay alive when they don't even remember, or ever even experienced, the moment it turned to violence.

Then I remembered how night creatures kidnap their potential spouse and transform them against their will into the same breed of creature, and at that instant the previous being ceases to exist and their body is possessed by a new, violent, evil creation who continues it's existence solely by the expense of other sentient beings. They were the same as me, and none of us deserved to live more than the others. Kill them or die trying, an adventurer always makes the world a better place at his end.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.