Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question Concerning Rooms  (Read 1019 times)

MrFluffums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question Concerning Rooms
« on: June 27, 2011, 09:46:41 pm »

I have a series of rooms set up like so

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If I assign the Seat as a 5x5 room (the area), will it assign all of the items, and will they function, or do I have to define each item as a 1x1 room and assign it to the dwarf I assign the seat room to, for them to function and be assigned?

In other words, if I define the 5x5 as an office, will the dwarf who owns the office sleep there, and store items in the containers, and eat at the table?

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question Concerning Rooms
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 09:55:58 pm »

The bedroom, dining room, and office are all separate rooms and thus have to be assigned to the dwarf separately. The cabinet, chest, armor stand, and weapon rack are put in the bedroom (unless you want to make a barracks, for example). Note: if you overlap room designations, the rooms lose value.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

MrFluffums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 09:59:02 pm »

That makes sense.  Guess that means I should probably deconstruct the seats and tables, and move the bed to the center to designate it as a bedroom.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 07:28:11 am »

It doesn't have to be in the center to designate it as a room.
And I think a dwarf will use a table and chair to eat even if it isn't designated as eating room. That is not true for offices btw.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 08:34:57 am »

You can designate from each furnishings fine, it don't need to be in center. Designating from one won't set any other designating, though. Yes overlapping rooms lower the value of each designations, but if you just toss in a trap or two full of serrated disks, it'll be valuable enough  :D

Any seats will be used by dwarves to eat at, even without tables (They sometimes wanders into offices and do that if I don't keep an eye on them ). But it'll generate complaints if there're no tables to eat at. My fancy room set-up sometimes tosses everything into one room, including office, to save some space while I mine out and build the extra space  :D