Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Need a new computer thread.  (Read 3089 times)

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Need a new computer thread.
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2011, 01:41:48 pm »

I just need a better CPU in general. I ahve good RAM and GPU, but my CPU is bottlenecking big time.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2011, 03:53:09 pm »

Guys note: the OP is a Canadian if he's buying in Vancouver. Newegg and iBuyPower probably aren't great ideas due to added shipping and customs costs.

I'd recommend looking at NCIX.ca, they have retail shops in Vancouver and are where I bought all my components.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2011, 03:57:00 pm »

I just need a better CPU in general. I ahve good RAM and GPU, but my CPU is bottlenecking big time.

Depending on your mobo and socket type, you may need more than just a new processor. That's when I really started paying attention to hardware specs back in the day, when I tried to upgrade my processer and learned the joy that is hardware incompatibilities. Trying to upgrade my processor turned into having to upgrade my mobo, ram and video card, PSU and by extension, my case.

That also happens to be the same time I quit buying pre-builts.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2011, 04:18:29 pm »

Guys note: the OP is a Canadian if he's buying in Vancouver. Newegg and iBuyPower probably aren't great ideas due to added shipping and customs costs.

I'd recommend looking at NCIX.ca, they have retail shops in Vancouver and are where I bought all my components.

Yeah, I was a bit worried that would be the case when bringing up Newegg. There is one little tidbit that might solve this issue however, assuming he has his price range in mind and picks out the bulk of his build: Newegg has a deal with Shop Runner for free 2-day shipping (including to Canada apparently). Normally you have to pay for this service, but you can sign up for the free 30-day trial, make your order, and close the shoprunner account before they start charging after the 30 days are up.

Up to the user if they care for signing up to that, I don't see any harm in it but I can understand why some people wouldn't want the hassle of it. Used it a couple times myself so far, It's a pretty decent service. Just make sure you sign into it during your order confirmation on Newegg (Little icon next to the shipping choices).

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2011, 05:58:21 pm »

*takes notes*
*has tomorrow off work*

Time to withdraw a G from the bank and head on downtown for my computer.

What I've gathered so far is: "Intel Core i5 2500k!!!"  I'll take my case in and have them figure out what went wrong, replace whatever was broken, update my processor, GPU and ram and be satisfied.  The question is, what GPU would work well?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 06:08:23 pm by Qloos »

YouR_DooM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2011, 06:07:00 pm »

Depending on your mobo and socket type, you may need more than just a new processor. That's when I really started paying attention to hardware specs back in the day, when I tried to upgrade my processer and learned the joy that is hardware incompatibilities. Trying to upgrade my processor turned into having to upgrade my mobo, ram and video card, PSU and by extension, my case.

That also happens to be the same time I quit buying pre-builts.

That's why you always spend money on a top of the line CPU/Mobo first. The latest sockets are guaranteed to last longer, while you will aways have time to upgrade other components later.

Getting a core 2 duo now is borderline retarded imo, because not only is the socket old as hell, but the CPU will be wortless in max 1-2 years. The only real option is to buy a Sandy Bridge right now, either i5 2500k or i7 2600k ( not that important ) or if you are an extreme AMD fanboy, wait for their new Bulldozer ( AMD's last resort to catch up with Intel after the Sandy Bridge boom ) architecture in a few months ( maybe ). If someone suggests something else, they aren't very informed on the subject.

There isn't really much space for anything else right now, because the gap between Intel and AMD is so giant.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 06:08:37 pm by YouR_DooM »
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the Plant Reed Fibre Thread Technology!

YouR_DooM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2011, 06:13:20 pm »

What I've gathered so far is: "Intel Core i5 2500k!!!"  I'll take my case in and have them figure out what went wrong, replace whatever was broken, update my processor, GPU and ram and be satisfied.  The question is, what GPU would work well?

If you want to go from total scratch, I can give you some help getting exactly what you want. But if you just need a general build, earlier someone posted a newegg link with and Intel system. That thing is pure beast and is what you are aiming for. Repleace the i7 2600k with an i5 2500k ( which btw can easily be overclocked to 4.5ghz with the very good stock fan ) to lower the price, get max 8 gb of ram ( really no need for more - 8 is already over the top ). As for the GPU, I have a Raedon HD 6870 overclocked by MSI and I can run crysis 2 on max settings. Here is a handy chart btw:

Get every componen except the CPU based on what you want to play.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2011, 06:18:03 pm »

If that chart shows frame rates, then I'd be satisfied with a Geforce GTX 460 SE.

Get every componen except the CPU based on what you want to play.

Quote from: Supreme Commander 2
Nvidia Graphics Card - GeForce 8800 GS    Login to compare your GFX Card
ATI Graphics Card - Radeon X1800 Series 256MB 

Quote from: Portal 2
ATI Radeon X800 or higher / NVIDIA GeForce 7600 or higher / Intel HD Graphics 2000 or higher
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 06:22:17 pm by Qloos »

YouR_DooM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2011, 06:20:23 pm »

If that chart shows frame rates, then I'd be satisfied with a Geforce GTX 460 SE.

Yes it shows the FPS. Also note that test was made with max setting, turn down even one or two intensive effects and you get 45 frames easily.

YouR_DooM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2011, 06:26:50 pm »

You will be golden with a GTX 460 then. Obv don't get the min specs, as that wouldn't be the best idea, because even the GPUs from your quotes are so old they aren't even on the list.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2011, 06:29:15 pm »

Absolutely, leaving my self some wiggle room is a good idea.

I'll note "GTX 460+" and if they have something superior for a trifling amount more, I might up it.

YouR_DooM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2011, 06:37:47 pm »

Here is an article on the 460 SE if you are interested:

So the honest truth, there is nothing wrong with the product all by itself except that it's priced too far out of its league. In the end for the same money you'd need to go for the regular GTX 460 with 1024MB of memory as it is the faster and thus better solution, period. But once prices come down to say 125 EUR, yeah that where these cards would offer great value, especially when you tweak a little.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-se-review/1

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2011, 08:29:03 pm »

If you can, go with the Asus GTX 560. Looking over prices at Newegg.com, its $10-20 more than the 460s on there.
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2011, 08:46:45 pm »

Internet high fives for everyone in this thread.

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2011, 09:44:57 pm »

Internet high fives for everyone in this thread.

I was thinking the same thing, lots of great help going on here.

Take care,
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4