Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Need a new computer thread.  (Read 3085 times)

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need a new computer thread.
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 02:08:00 pm »

Been using AMD chips for years and am very happy with them.  Just recently installed a Phenom II x4 and I'm thrilled.

I typically purchase nVidia video cards - largely due to a bad issue with an ATI card a long time ago...  But this time around I went with an ATI and it's been working terrific.

I've done all my shopping on Newegg for the last 10 years or so, and I recommend them to everyone.  I have had one or two parts arrive DOA, but their support has always been very responsive in getting those parts replaced.  And, considering the number of things I've purchased from them, I've gotten very few DOA components.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 02:11:26 pm »

In about 10+ years of shopping with Newegg, I think I've gotten 1 or 2 DOA parts. And they've never hassled me about it. I've even said the WRONG parts I ordered needed to be RMA'd....and they didn't give me any shit about that either.

If Best Buy offered the same selection, were as nice or bothered to provide you half as much technical information on hardware when you buy, they might still have my business. As it is, I haven't bought from anyone other than Newegg since I've started caring about my PC components.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 02:56:07 pm »

Good timing. Newegg's got an Independence Day sale going, with two nice desktop packages to choose from, plus the usual slew of single parts discounted.

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 03:04:21 pm »

Good timing. Newegg's got an Independence Day sale going, with two nice desktop packages to choose from, plus the usual slew of single parts discounted.

Damn it, just when I wasn't looking to buy more PC parts...Might have to build a another system now.  Damn you Newegg...Daaaaamn Yoooou!

Take care,

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 03:05:24 pm »

arrrrrrrrrrg payday isnt until the 5th.
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 03:12:42 pm »

Wouldn't this thread be better off in Life Advice?
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

YouR_DooM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 04:15:06 pm »

The Intel build is REALLY good. I like it. Throw in another 200$ for a GPU and you got a monster there.

Too bad sites like these don't exist in Italy.
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the Plant Reed Fibre Thread Technology!

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 04:24:32 pm »

$69 for 2TB?

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG DAMMIT why tempt me?

Pretty much all I need for my monster PC is a new SSD.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 04:40:49 pm »

I wouldn't get a six core yet.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2011, 04:23:55 am »

The Intel build is REALLY good. I like it. Throw in another 200$ for a GPU and you got a monster there.

Too bad sites like these don't exist in Italy.

God, that Intel build really is kickass. If I had the money, I'd buy that and transfer the drives and GPUs from my old desktop to it.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2011, 04:33:29 am »

I wouldn't get a six core yet.
Pretty much this. I've a 8 core and have been regretting it since I got it. Only 4 cores do much of anything, and I've never seen 7 used at once. Very occasionally, I see 6 or 5 cores doing much of anything. I'd say only go for a 6 or 8 core machine if you plan on running lots of stuff at once, like skype, a new game, procaster, that sort of stuff.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2011, 04:37:29 am »

I imagine 8 cores to be handy if you're playing a graphics-intensive game and want to stream it in glorious HD.

Or if you're playing Minecraft with a 32x or larger texture pack with all options set to high.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2011, 04:43:02 am »

I imagine 8 cores to be handy if you're playing a graphics-intensive game and want to stream it in glorious HD.

Or if you're playing Minecraft with a 32x or larger texture pack with all options set to high.
Both of those rely on you having a good enough graphics card to actually use them. Or if you want to run 8 copies of minecraft at once. That could work, I suppose.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2011, 06:04:42 am »

True, true. I have a good GPU (dual SLI GTS250) in my desktop machine, but I really need to upgrade the processor.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2011, 12:41:49 pm »

The problem is that a surprisingly small number of things really scale well to multiple cores.

For everyday computer use you can easily get a couple tasks going at once, but they're generally waiting on I/O rather than churning away on the CPU.  You might be able to occupy two cores for a while...  Three for a bit...  But I seldom actually see all four cores doing much.

If you're looking at something more processor-intensive like a nice game or something, it'll tie up the CPU more...  But you'll still just see a couple cores busy.  It's somewhat unusual to see a game that is genuinely multi-threaded and CPU-intensive enough to keep all your cores working at once.  Especially if you've got more than a few cores.

6?  8?  I can't imagine actually utilizing the entire CPU enough to make it worth the extra cost.

You'd probably get more bang for you buck by putting that money into a nice GPU, or more RAM.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4