Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Need a new computer thread.  (Read 3083 times)

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need a new computer thread.
« on: June 27, 2011, 08:44:12 pm »

My main rig has died, it loads and is unable to detect anything.  The blinking dot flashes upon the black screen.  I attempt to do a system repair using my operating system disk: No luck.  I format my C drive and reinstall the operating system: No luck.

Although I will attempt to fix the problem, for the moment I am looking for advice on a new computer for my enjoyments.  Lookin for something that isn't top of the line, but sufficient to run Steam Games, processor heavy games (DF.)

I'll be buying from a computer store in Vancouver, and was recommended ATIC Computers.  Here's the quote their website has given me:

[BOXDP45SG] Intel DP45SG "Skyberg" Extreme Motherboard
     [BX80570E8500] Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz S775 w/ Fan
     [KVR1333D3N9K2/4G] Kingston 4GB DDR3-1333 Kit (2x2GB)
     [DVD-RW] ATIC 22X SATA DVD+-RW
     [ST31000524AS] Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA 6.0Gbps Desktop
     [ENGTX550 TI DC TOP/DI/1GD] Asus GeForce GTX 550 Ti DirectCU TOP 1GB PCIEx16
     [A6000+550] Thermaltake Xaser II 550W
     [920-002565] Logitech Desktop MK120 Keyboard/Mouse
     [WTY1-02] ATIC System Assembly

Reg Price
$883.74
Cash Price
$858.00

http://www.atic.ca/index.php?page=Products&cat=a

Link posted to show their inventory, for any changes I could make to this design.  Remember, not top of the line.  Keep the price under $1000.  If I can go lower, then he'll.  You're the man.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Re: Need a new computer thread.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 09:09:37 pm »

I recently switched over to AMD from Intel, couldn't be happier. They're alot cheaper, as well.

Here's one that's significantly more powerful for $729 (You can probably even get the price lower if you build it yourself)
http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Gamer_Mage_D405

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 09:17:18 pm »

Intriguing.

Edit: How dare they, they're charging me 8 dollars more for the same computer you described.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 09:23:57 pm by Qloos »

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 09:19:55 pm »

I have a Phenom II x6 myself, and with a 260 GTX I haven't seen any new games lag for me at all, even on the highest settings with tons of shit onscreen. They're a tad bit more expensive, so I guess it's up to you and which sort of games you want to run.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 09:26:49 pm »

x6 means 6 processors, right?  If so: Why?  I've had 1 processor for the past 5 years and it's been fine.  Sure, if I want to multitask, two processors might be nice... but 6?

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 09:34:21 pm »

Again, depends on what you run. If you're constantly using skype and/or steam like I am, while running programs in the background AND fooling around with a game, then the load is split between the multiple processors. In my experience, it just allows everything to run smoother.
EDIT: The one I linked has a quad core processor, if it matters.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 09:41:58 pm »

Thanks for the advice.

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 09:43:59 pm »

Before you buy, check http://www.newegg.com/, I have built my last 3 systems from newegg.  You can get barebones systems and build as you choose, or full on high power gaming rigs that rival most.

Example - If your willing to go $890, for $40 more (free shipping) here's what you can get.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229227  (click on details for full system)

Take care,

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 12:18:44 am »

While Newegg has some amazing prices if you find the right deal, you can pretty much count on the fact that some of your parts will arrive non-functioning. I've never had a large order from there that didn't come with at least a couple DOAs (Dead On Arrival). That said, as long as you're not paying $50+ on returns you're probably still going to get a decent deal. My PC is running an AMD Phenom II x4, and I'm pretty happy with it. I could of gotten the 6x instead, but it seemed a little overboard for my specific needs. Dual and Quad cores are somewhat standard these days, I'm sure you can still find single cores but the price:power ratio makes them less appealing.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 12:22:50 am by Haschel »

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 08:54:12 am »

While Newegg has some amazing prices if you find the right deal, you can pretty much count on the fact that some of your parts will arrive non-functioning. I've never had a large order from there that didn't come with at least a couple DOAs (Dead On Arrival). That said, as long as you're not paying $50+ on returns you're probably still going to get a decent deal. My PC is running an AMD Phenom II x4, and I'm pretty happy with it. I could of gotten the 6x instead, but it seemed a little overboard for my specific needs. Dual and Quad cores are somewhat standard these days, I'm sure you can still find single cores but the price:power ratio makes them less appealing.

Just a quick reply in defense of newegg. :)

I have been buying from newegg for over 10 years now and have yet to have any item I've ordered be DOA, in fact, I have never had to return anything.  The system I am using right now has been built, rebuilt and built again using parts purchased from newegg.  Just remember, garbage in, garbage out...if you buy junk, it's going to be junk.  I've actually had stuff I've bought from the all mighty Amazon that I've had to return and or was DOA...but never newegg.

Sorry, you may resume your regularly scheduled thread now. :)

Take care,

YouR_DooM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 12:45:36 pm »

If you can fit it in the budget, get an Intel i5 Sandy Bridge. Those things are the best you can get right now in CPU terms, and I mean it objectively, not subjectively ( even if I have one ).

Before buying my rig I spent days on all hardware review sites, and all showed how awesome that CPU is.

the 2500k is the sandy bridge I'm recommending.

EDIT: whatever you do, don't buy the CPU in the OP. That thing will be such a huge bottleneck it's incredible.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 01:04:35 pm by YouR_DooM »
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the Plant Reed Fibre Thread Technology!

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 01:40:18 pm »

Are any of the parts from your old rig reusable? My case, power supply, and DVD drive have been with me through a couple system rebuilds.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 01:42:05 pm »

Well... one time I opened up my netbook. There was a stick of RAM in it, but it was the size of a chigger. The CPU said "Ghz: I'll get to it later, boss" and the video card was, in fact, a very tiny rabbit.

That's all I have to say about my comp. All I can tell you is I don't recommend this one. Buy something with a gecko inside instead.

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 01:53:01 pm »

I have the i5 2500k right now, and it's great! Now all I need to do is upgrade my graphics card :)  I have also never gotten anything damaged/not working from newegg and I have ordered a pretty decent amount of stuff (parts to build 2 pcs, mice, monitors).

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 01:58:48 pm »

I'm going to echo comments made about the processor.

A Core Duo 2 might be better than any processor you've owned, but it's quickly falling to the bottom of the charts among multi-core processors.

So I'd really try to find a package (if you're going to buy a packaged deal) with at least an i7, because that will easily last you 5 years, where a Core Duo 2 may be struggling within that same time frame.

I have the i5 2500k right now, and it's great!

Same here. I lurv this processor.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: [1] 2 3 4