Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Living styles  (Read 1926 times)

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Living styles
« on: June 27, 2011, 07:49:14 pm »

So. How do you make your dwarfs live??? Hmm? What are some lifestyles you make your fortress pursue? I like to make my dwarfs live like humans on the surface, using above-ground crops. I'm trying to mod my game so as to actually embark as humans. Anyone post their dwarven lifestyles here.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Re: Living styles
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 07:52:04 pm »

I keep mine in a small communal meeting area, which is problematic for tantrum spirals, but overall not that bad for keeping the room amazing. Their living quarters tend to be decadent, even for haulers, decent or better, at the very least.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

DeadlyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 08:14:58 pm »

Depends on how long they live at my fort, but the majority of the population gets a 1v4 bedroom with a bed, chest, cabinet, and statue. They have all skills enabled that do not affect quality, access to two legendary dinning rooms, are nearly constantly bathed in mist, and are set on a training schedule that keeps a dozen or so always available. They are my expendable masses each nicknamed Dwarf and each equals. They are kept perfectly safe inside my fortress unless my main army and migrant conscripts fail or I need extra security.

Tantrums are put down pretty quickly. My Captain of the Guard squad isn't there to not kill dwarves who threaten the lives of others.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 08:17:13 pm by DeadlyMarmot »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 08:25:28 pm »

I have bedrooms dotted around the fort. Generally I let dwarves claim their own rooms, although the medics are manually assigned rooms close to the hospital. Rooms are modest at least, being 5 or 6 tiles with a bed and a cabinet.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Cable

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_OPEN_DOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 08:32:55 pm »

I've given all my dwarves modest 1x4 rooms with beds, desks, chairs and doors.
They all have masterwork meals though, after a High Master Cook migrated.
It's possible that I understand better what's going on, or it's equally possible that I just think I do.

— Russ Cox

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 08:47:02 pm »

I have been so lazy to even create different zones for anything, i just mashed everything together. I have shops in the middle, like 10 beds for 25 dwarfs and a farm right next to the whole crap. But before, i was going to create a plug so i can pass the aquifer, but then i stuck the caverns and i just landed the whole crap in a small cave i carved out.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 09:13:57 pm »

I make 17x17 rooms, with a workshop in the middle, stairs stiched into the outer two layers, and two layers around the workshop, and put bed, chair, table repeating around the third outermost layer. Everything else is workshop stockpile. If the fort survives long enough and I don't get a modding idea I really want to implement NOW, I'll switch out every other set of bed, chair and table with cabinets and a masterwork coffin. There's no use giving my ponies fancy furniture if I'm just going to have it locked away where nobody gets a good thought from it.

I also tend to make the farm the main meeting area. This handy when I get more crops than the planter can deal with by himself, it means that turning on harvesting for everyone will get the children and nobles to do it.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 02:50:05 am »

Tantrums are put down pretty quickly. My Captain of the Guard squad isn't there to not kill dwarves who threaten the lives of others.

Tell that to the 70 dorfs I lost out of 250.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

henkalv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 04:36:44 am »

I usually give my dwarfs 3x3 engraved bedrooms with a bed, a chest and a cabinet. All the bedrooms are situated on one floor together with a legendary dining hall that they all use, except the nobles who have their rooms on an entirely different floor. They get four 12x12 rooms where they have a private dining hall, a tomb, a office/study and a bedroom.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 07:05:34 am »

I set aside entire z levels for bedrooms. 3x5 with bed, cabinet, coffer and door. With legendary dining halls and finished food stockpiles of high quality near them. Nobles get what effectively are their own fiefdoms for quarters.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 11:03:22 am »

Depends on their value.
In the underground venice that I've taken up now? My legendary mason is currently doing commission statue pieces whilst walking around the workshop floor and generally enjoying the fruits of his labours with an office, dining room and bedroom.

That hauler/lye maker that rocked up with no skills? Town drunk that sleeps in the streets. If I need work done and I can give him work on a workshop floor? Then he has a job and the possibility to rise to a decent apartment.

If a goblin invasion wipes 2/3 of my population off the map, then I start from where I can. Picking and choosing from the un-employed.
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 11:39:59 am »

I just cram all the beds into a single bedroom, then designate a room for every single bed. It works wonders, since any standard dorf is quite happy to get even a meager bedroom. I rarely bother with rooms for nobles, since they do nothing but annoy me with mandates (which i also blithely ignore with no consequences due to a lack of sheriff). I'm thinking about giving my current mayor a very nice room though, since she's a legendary axedorf with scores of kills and a penchant for bucklers. :U

Otherwise, i tend to keep workshops and stockpiles in different rooms, but they also border up to each other. This lets my dorfs work at a fast rate, and it doesn't look bad either. Also, a (sometimes) huge dining room with added meeting hall. Most of my dorfs are ecstatic all the time, despite my frequent lapses in memory. (read: entire fort nearly dehydrated because i sealed off water [forgotten beast roaming] and forgot to make booze)
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 11:46:07 am »

I mostly assign houses to specific dwarfs and am trying to work on a large castle that's going have 3 level high walls and 4 high towers, one for each corner. The towers will be 5x5, connected to a 3 thick stone wall. A drawbridge 5 tiles wide will retract into the doors, with a makeshift portcullis in front of the doors but behind the drawbridge.

Shmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 02:08:35 pm »

Each dwarf only gets one labour (not counting the hauling/basic healthcare/cleaning labours which are disabled for "critical" professions like miners, all nobles and all legendary dwarves) and is nicknamed according to that labour. With the exception of bulk labours like mining or masonry, each labour only has one dwarf.

Only nicknamed dwarves get housing, the rest mill around my waterfall waiting to be drafted. All immigrants are assessed, and better-qualified ones in any specific labour displace the existing worker (globalization, eh). This hyper-specialization makes it easy to see how my labours are distributed, and the nicknames make it easy to replace workers in the case of unfortunate incidents.
S = k*log x(rope reed fiber socks)x

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 11:33:31 pm »

Each dwarf only gets one labour (not counting the hauling/basic healthcare/cleaning labours which are disabled for "critical" professions like miners, all nobles and all legendary dwarves) and is nicknamed according to that labour. With the exception of bulk labours like mining or masonry, each labour only has one dwarf.

Only nicknamed dwarves get housing, the rest mill around my waterfall waiting to be drafted. All immigrants are assessed, and better-qualified ones in any specific labour displace the existing worker (globalization, eh). This hyper-specialization makes it easy to see how my labours are distributed, and the nicknames make it easy to replace workers in the case of unfortunate incidents.
Your methods have been synthesised and utilised in my own fortress.
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.
Pages: [1] 2