Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mounts for Dwarves?  (Read 9554 times)

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mounts for Dwarves?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 09:48:27 am »

Actually common brown bears are too small for dwarfs. wiki states they only weigh up to 350kg, and df wiki has grizzly bears as small as 200kg.
It's far too small a mount to carry 80kg armoured dwarf over long distance ot into battle.
Horse, a typical human mount, is half a ton.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 12:52:37 pm »

Well, according to my calculations, a DF giant badger is 306kg, and DF grizzlies are 200kg, with DF horses being 500kg, DF humans being 70kg, and DF dwarves being 60kg. 

The ratio for mount/rider weight if we want to mimic horse/human would then be 7.14.  The badgers give 5.1 and the grizzlies 3.33.  Thus, if we go on weight alone, these animals would be a bit on the small side to comfortably carry a dwarf.  We are looking for an animal around 428kg. 

Now, naturally the weights above could be changed to suit our needs, as both animals seem pretty dwarfy to me. 

Dralthas and rutherers are both absolutely enormous, so they would be suitable (rutherers already have MOUNT_EXOTIC so it seems like this has already been thought of). 
where is up?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 01:36:20 pm »

Well, according to my calculations, a DF giant badger is 306kg, and DF grizzlies are 200kg, with DF horses being 500kg, DF humans being 70kg, and DF dwarves being 60kg. 

The ratio for mount/rider weight if we want to mimic horse/human would then be 7.14.  The badgers give 5.1 and the grizzlies 3.33.  Thus, if we go on weight alone, these animals would be a bit on the small side to comfortably carry a dwarf.  We are looking for an animal around 428kg. 

Now, naturally the weights above could be changed to suit our needs, as both animals seem pretty dwarfy to me. 

Dralthas and rutherers are both absolutely enormous, so they would be suitable (rutherers already have MOUNT_EXOTIC so it seems like this has already been thought of). 

Polar bears seem appropriate, both weight- and dwarfiness-vise.

EDIT: Giant versions of felines look great, too, but not as dwarfy
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 01:39:30 pm by nanomage »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 03:48:28 pm »

I want mine to ride gorillas. Or have several on an elephant.
Gorillas? That would take an...odd...saddle.
And elephants? Don't be insane! They can't even feed themselves! However, I can imagine a fortress that the owners flooded and seeded cave moss and floor fungus to feed the war dralthas wandering around in it, ready to have several steel-cld military dwarves hop on its back and tail, before shuffling off to the entrance, munching grass all the way until goblin flesh is available.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 [2]