Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mounts for Dwarves?  (Read 9555 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mounts for Dwarves?
« on: June 27, 2011, 04:43:02 pm »

Search didn't help, as it just brought up mounts for enemies in sieges.  Has there been any mention of animal mounts for dwarves being implemented in the future?  It would be so awesome to see goblins on giant olms vs dwarves on war grizzlies =D.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mounts for Dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 12:08:03 am »

Currently there is no way for the player to use a mount.  Mounts are, however, used in sieges by any invading civilization which has those creatures available as part of its population.  If you somehow managed to get sieged by dwarves, they might well be riding horses or giant bats or something.  There are, however, not yet any mounts in adventure mode, they are never mentioned in legends mode, and your dwarves in fort mode cannot use them. 

mounts are planned for the future, but at soonest that would mean the release after next, because right now movement speed and combat speed are the same thing, so there is no way to use a mount to boost one without affecting the other.  Obviously this creates some pretty serious problems since getting on a horse really shouldn't make you swing your sword twice as often.  Once move/combat speed are different things (which, from the sounds of the devlogs, might not be the easiest thing to do), we can start to expect creatures with the [MOUNT] tag to get properly used. 
where is up?

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 03:40:31 am »

I just want my horse to go pick up wood from outside and put it in a stockpile.

I would be so happy if that happened.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 07:32:12 am »

Anyone ever get sieged by Elves mounted on Unicorns?

I did. Once....

*Shiver*
*Hears Screams*
No... nooo.... Not the legendary weaponmaker..... not..... not....
*rocks back and forth*
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 09:47:09 pm »

We are currently nearing the release of Release One in the Caravan Arc. The combat move/speed split and mounted combat rewrite are slated for Release 7. At that point I believe the plan is to have adventurer mounts, and dwarf mode will probably get them then as well. Although it may end up being something for the Army Arc, which puts it beyond the scope of current development.

So, at minimum, after this release Toady will only have to do villager/farmer schedules/activities, work with 3D mineral veins and mine maps, taverns, basic hirelings, manors, dwarf mode inns, adv mode inns, fairs, merchants moving around from place to place during play, changing populations, food use and other world gen stuff moved to actual play, and Dwarf mode trading improvements incorporating all the world gen/supply/demand/merchant info etc, covering some 6 releases in total (which likely extrapolates to 8+ months.)

Anyone ever get sieged by Elves mounted on Unicorns?

I did. Once....

*Shiver*
*Hears Screams*
No... nooo.... Not the legendary weaponmaker..... not..... not....
*rocks back and forth*

For a moment I thought I was screwed by an army of crossbow-goblins mounted on Olms (4 squads!) before the Olms jumped in the river and drowned.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 12:20:25 am »

We are currently nearing the release of Release One in the Caravan Arc...

"Nearing". Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

ha

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA hck sob sob sob
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 01:57:55 am »

I've been wondering about appropriate mounts for dwarves. I can't really picture them riding animals without finding it amusing. The thing is that without them dwarves will be limited in warfare against those with. Then again that might force some interesting tactics.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 02:02:40 am »

Well, there are all sorts of massive grazers in the caverns. Dralthas and rutherers, for example. If multiple tile creatures and mounts work together, it opens all sorts of possibilities.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 02:04:24 am »

In the 2D version I once modded in dark elves. They came and and laid siege to my fortress. Mounted on horses. Wearing cloaks and masks. IT was the BEST day ever. Shortly after all my dwarves died. I want my dwarves to ride bears. Cause everyone loves bears. And bears love to hug things!

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 11:57:22 am »

I want mine to ride gorillas. Or have several on an elephant.
This is a blank sig.

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 03:40:29 pm »

inb4 Bear Cavalry Poster.

I seem to remember a book with a dwarf riding a pissed off dragon while on fire and trying to kill it with an axe.

I wanna say its an RA Salvatore book.

Basically, Thats what I picture as a dwarf mount.
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

Myus Nadine

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Into the abyss!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 07:11:32 pm »

I can picture an army of steel clad warriors, there beards blowing in the ocean breeze as they ride undead whales toward their enemy's island fortress!
(so epic :D )
Draft beer, not people.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 08:22:33 pm »

inb4 Bear Cavalry Poster.

I seem to remember a book with a dwarf riding a pissed off dragon while on fire and trying to kill it with an axe.

I wanna say its an RA Salvatore book.

Basically, Thats what I picture as a dwarf mount.

It was, and I want to say it was part of the Icewind Dale trilogy. It was definitely the dwarf from it, and he didn't so much ride the dragon as he bull-rushed it into the depths of the earth like it was a Balrog. He also wasn't wielding his axe, he was using one of Drizzt's swords (whichever one grants immunity to fire, hence his Gandalf stunt.)

Re: Topic, I could see Dwarves riding Giant Badgers into combat. And by riding into combat, I mean riding until the badgers go berserk and savage everything in a 50' radius including the dwarf. Bears are cool, but possibly too big for your average dwarf. Not that I know how big a giant badger is.

puppy daub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 09:05:41 pm »

I've been wondering about appropriate mounts for dwarves. I can't really picture them riding animals without finding it amusing. The thing is that without them dwarves will be limited in warfare against those with. Then again that might force some interesting tactics.

I really enjoyed the Age of Wonders shadow magic game dwarf choices.  They had the standard mount be a boar, and an advanced mount as a giant mole.  Now I feel like reinstalling that game...

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 11:18:14 pm »

Bearded Warrior Dwarves riding bearded War Goats.

...Once this is implemented in Adventure Mode, I'll definitely try and tame and ride a Megabeast to the town that hired me to take it out.
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...
Pages: [1] 2