Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bone Bolts  (Read 2633 times)

Tsaroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bone Bolts
« on: June 27, 2011, 04:03:36 pm »

Long time Dwarfer, some times poster.

I'm recently having an issue I've never had before: whenever I designate a Crafts workshop to start churning out bone bolts the workshop gets the *CLT* tag and the dwarf sits there until he wants to get a drink and leaves with the work undone. I've wiki'd this and found no help... and I'm not sure what *CLT* means but I imagine it means 'cluttered'. I've remade the workshop several times and as soon as I want to make bone bolts this happens... making other crafts remedies this and they go on normally.

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bone Bolts
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 04:09:40 pm »

I've seen similar behavior with bones. It looks like dwarves can only take an entire stack of bones to a workshop to make an item, even if the item only uses a single bone. Bringing a stack of bones to a workshop causes it to become extremely cluttered -- maybe because of the size of the bones relative to other raw materials, I'm not entirely certain. Anyway, the dwarf making the bone craft then works extremely slowly because the workshop is so cluttered. The problem seems to diminish as the dwarf cranks out crafts and the size of the bone stack in the workshop diminishes.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 04:11:59 pm »

I think there's a glitch with bones now that makes them take up way more space than they are supposed to (like each bone counts as 5X, and they take a whole stack at once). I guess you could theoretically overcome it with a higher skilled bonecrafter, but the work will still be slowed. If the bones are no longer required for the task, another dwarf comes and hauls them away to the stockpile. Alternately, find a way to get smaller stacks of bones.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 04:14:53 pm »

Yeah, stacks of bones can clutter up work shops really bad. Ofcourse on the up side having a stack of bones will let dwarves keep crafting till the stack runs out so they don't have to run to the stock piles every time they use up a single bone. Also the bolts them selves cause clutter to build up quickly so having them moved to an ammo stock pile asap helps.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

Tsaroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 04:19:23 pm »

Yup, they're making them just very, very, very slowly.
Thanks for the help.

Ganthan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 04:23:39 pm »

I've noticed a similar issue with tanning the skins from my embark animals with a no skill tanner.  Instant purple CLT and then it takes a loooooong time to finish.  One horse skin, instant super clutter?  Eh?

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 04:45:04 pm »

(looks at Bonecrafter...)

no No NOOOO!  Come back with those FB bones!  :o

Too late.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 04:46:46 pm »

Right now, it looks like bone (and part) sizes vary with animal size. A single elephant bone produces a *lot* of clutter.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 05:03:46 pm »

I've noticed this too. My theory is, since butchering pieces of a critter will yield a full hide, that every chunk counts as much as a full critter. My butcher takes as long to clean that severed giant badger paw as he takes to clean the entire badger.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 05:25:52 pm »

I've noticed this too. My theory is, since butchering pieces of a critter will yield a full hide, that every chunk counts as much as a full critter. My butcher takes as long to clean that severed giant badger paw as he takes to clean the entire badger.
Wow. So I can get more hides if I chop an animal up into little bits with traps or military than if I let the butcher cut its throat?

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 09:11:31 pm »

I guess. IDK, I've never tried this before.

Fireborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 10:01:10 pm »

Wow. So I can get more hides if I chop an animal up into little bits with traps or military than if I let the butcher cut its throat?
I think this does indeed yeild an extra skin... and therefore more leather...  But, it's hardly a !!science!! statement.  Just something I think I've observed.

One way to split things intentionally is with a huge drop.  Parts go flying everywhere after 10-16 z levels.  This won't work with domesticated "tame" animals though, as even if they weren't pets their bodies become unbutcherable.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 01:21:07 am »

Yeah cutting up wild animals into chunks might work. If you want to !!SCIENCE!! it, here's what I'd do:

Embark on a savage tropical savanna, lay out +-shaped elephant-funneling weapons traps, all stuffed with 10 masterwork serrated discs. Wait for elephants.
When an elephant herd walks over the traps, you should get something that looks like a very large, wet pile of confetti.

Now see how many butchers you can keep busy, coz all those chunks are gonna rot, and this size bug thing means you'll be trying to butcher 30+ elephants at once, even it it's just 3 that got hacked to bits.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 01:27:12 am »

Yeah cutting up wild animals into chunks might work. If you want to !!SCIENCE!! it, here's what I'd do:

Embark on a savage tropical savanna, lay out +-shaped elephant-funneling weapons traps, all stuffed with 10 masterwork serrated discs. Wait for elephants.
When an elephant herd walks over the traps, you should get something that looks like a very large, wet pile of confetti.

Now see how many butchers you can keep busy, coz all those chunks are gonna rot, and this size bug thing means you'll be trying to butcher 30+ elephants at once, even it it's just 3 that got hacked to bits.

I'd just build cage trap clusters, like I did on a few fortress, near the corners. Got so many giant eagles from them. Go to raw and replace PET_EXOTIC with PET, and they should breed even when wild (I think, I'd hope ), dump them in rooms and let them number up and cage them again. Then drop the ones you don't like in the rooms with shredders  :D

And have a LOT of butcher shops, tannery, and dwarves to staff them. Draft even haulers in too ( I don't think skill affect quality, just speed of processing )

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 01:33:55 am »

Only (tame) animals breed, and the only way to butcher tame animals is... to butcher them. You can't butcher tame animal corpses that were made from a fall or pit traps. Though I suppose you could use cage traps, construct the cage at the end of a trap hallway and then open it. Could save time getting all the chunks to the butcher's.
Pages: [1] 2