Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 122

Author Topic: Mushroom Kingdom Wars RTD: So long, a-bowser!  (Read 220827 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Mushroom Kingdom Wars RTD: April Fools: If Things Were Different
« Reply #1200 on: April 01, 2012, 08:34:16 pm »

Uh, thanks? Kind of a weird thing to point out... ^^^; Nice turn anyway, though. :D
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mushroom Kingdom Wars RTD: April Fools: If Things Were Different
« Reply #1201 on: April 01, 2012, 08:36:28 pm »

I point it out because it caused me to do that in the future, like many other player contributions. I am not a creative person  :-\ Thanks for the feedback everyone!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mushroom Kingdom Wars RTD: Rest in peace.
« Reply #1202 on: August 12, 2012, 02:38:27 pm »

Well guys, it's been four months. I've gone back and forth on this and thought it over, and I've finally decided on on an ultimatum. Despite it being my second favorite game to run, I'm declaring Mushroom Kingdom Wars dead. But it would be pretty poor to just let it go like that, so I guess I'll write out a retrospective piece about everything I learned from this game.

Mushroom Kingdom Wars: A Retrospective

Why I started it

My love of video games knows no bounds. I grew up with Nintendo systems starting with the Game Boy Color. I don't really play video games as much today because I'm busier, but I still look back fondly on my childhood of huddling over a handheld at 3 A.M., trying to finish one last level before I went to sleep. I am uncomfortable writing stories with premises I'm not familiar with, and that's why I started with "Nintendo games."

I also started it because I thought it would be really fun! And it was. I really enjoyed setting up this world that contained all my favorite elements of the video games I was familiar with. I enjoyed the back-and-forth with the players, the unpredictable actions and results, and the almost RPG-like feel of the game. It was something I knew, even when I didn't, and the same goes for many of the players (since Mario is hands down the most well known video game character).

Why it died

A lot of reasons. Months after its last hiatus, my favorite GM, Blade Master Model 42, gave me the best writing advice I'd ever heard. It was something along the lines of "Don't get too attached to a story you haven't already written." That sentence is the reason he will always be a better GM than me. It's the reason I got disillusioned with my own story and game: I ended up enjoying the story I hadn't already written more than the story that was being written now, so the second half of the game was a mess of rushed plot, shoehorned grimdark themes and flat-out bad writing.

Another reason is I reached too high. Way, way too high. For most of the game, I built up expectations that every major sequence would be punctuated with a Flash animation, every character should be drawn, every small flashback narrated as well as a good book. But the fact remained that I wasn't able to accept that I couldn't do most of those things. I could make a half-passable effort, sure, but at the time I had only been "seriously" drawing, writing and programming for a few months. Every time I did something fancy I ended up disappointed with myself, and I became frustrated. It was enough to ween me off doing this for quite a while.

Oh, yeah. Speaking of the art and Flashes and stuff.

The media

I have a very low attention span. Diagnosed ADD, in fact. For this reason, I find it difficult to read through and concentrate on media of any kind (forum games, stories, articles) if it doesn't have some sort of visual component. Art makes everything better! That's the reason I decided to start incorporating it into Mushroom Kingdom Wars.

There was only one problem. Namely, the fact that I had almost no experience with art. Whoops! But I tried anyway. I drew and drew crappy drawings, got advice from applesauce machine and others (who are to this day way better at drawing), and plugged away even though I knew I was not an artist. And you know what? I discovered one of the most important lessons in life: practice makes perfect. You hear that one phrase everywhere, but you can't really understand it until you see how far each hour, day, week and month of work has taken you.

By the death of this game, I still wasn't very good at art. It wasn't until I'd started running Luigi Quest that I actually started improving much. Compared the start to the present:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've still got a long way to go, but it's thanks to this game and the players' support that I may one day be a quality artist.

The plot

The plot was the largest death knell to this game. Well, it wasn't, but it was more the way I started putting it into everything. You see, Mushroom Kingdom Wars and Luigi Quest were always supposed to be lighthearted stories. The background behind them is large, slightly incoherent and often quite dark. But, at least most of the time, the overall tone needs to stay consistent, and that's what I'm focusing on from now on.

Since my other game in this setting is still going, I can't just spoil everything. But I will at least cover the most important part (namely, Zach's unseen flashback) in my suggestion game at a later date since it's integral to the entire story.

The future

I really enjoyed running this for you guys, but I'm starting college full time in a few days, I'm going to either have to focus on one game or put it on another hiatus (depending on my amount of homework). I know some of you much prefer player-focused games like RPGs and RPs, but I am going to stick with suggestion games for now. I'll be covering a little bit of the main team's journeys here and there after this, of course, but they will no longer be the main focus of the story. Also, Oomph will be competing in the second season of Mario Kart Grand Prix :P

As for if I'll ever run another RTD/RP in the future... who knows? Ones like this are intense, time consuming, and you have to love 'em to keep 'em going. I do hope to keep playing RPGs, though, so maybe we'll end up roleplaying with one another again :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 08:26:17 pm by freeformschooler »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Mushroom Kingdom Wars RTD: Rest in peace.
« Reply #1203 on: August 12, 2012, 02:46:34 pm »

Thanks for the read, freeform. One of the games that drew me into registering on the forums.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: August 12, 2012, 03:25:56 pm »

Aww.  Thanks for at least making it official instead of leaving it in limbo, though.

Also, Oomph will be competing in the second season of Mario Kart Grand Prix :P

Oomph isn't the only MKRTD character in there!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: August 12, 2012, 03:49:41 pm »

D'aw. This, and that damn fun Castlevania RTD's are my favorites. I've read each one at least twice. Well, not the Castlevania one for a long time...

Good luck on your future endeavors, Freeform!

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: August 12, 2012, 09:13:15 pm »

The only way to get better at something is to practice and learn from your mistakes. Making art and animations is hard work and implementing them into a story/game is difficult at best. Don't give up writing because of this, but become a BETTER writer because of it!

I also quite liked this game too, so good luck in the future!

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: August 12, 2012, 09:44:34 pm »

Man, I really need to read these RTDs. I have, like, eighteen others I want to read.

I hope it's as good as it sounds!
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mushroom Kingdom Wars RTD: Turn 57: HAHA HOLY SNAP IT'S ALIVE AGAIN AGAIN
« Reply #1208 on: September 19, 2012, 02:06:01 am »

Turn 57
Weather: Sunny, maybe? Haven't been outside in a bit.
Time: Who knows anymore?
Light: Enough

Joe: Go with the ghost. Maybe there won't be any more of those stupid shyguys over there.
Bradley floated a little closer to Zach. "Um, um... There a t-table b-b-back here with, um, some w-weird drawings and st-stuff on it... d-do you think that m-maybe you and Ochita c-can, um, c-come and t-t-take a look?" He looked at Oomph and Joe. "M-maybe you should f-f-follow, t-too."

Lead anyone who wants to go toward the plot-related drawings.
Follow Bradley!
"Oomph planned to do that,,." Oomph lied.

Oomph homed in on Bradleys insufferable cuteness and followed him.

Action: Follow Cute-fang Ghost!
"Oh, sure thing. It should hopefully be interesting. In any case, there are other ways to go that way."

Follow Bradley to those drawings he was talking about and translate them!

((No rolls required for following.))

After they all decided to go together, Bradley lead the main group around the intersection and back towards the door of the "Secret Writing Room". At first it looked normal enough, but all expectations were dashed when everyone saw the single bloodied table covered in papers. No chairs or anything. Something was a bit off here.

Zach walked up to the desk and looked through the papers, stifling any adverse reactions to the scent of rotten blood. Maybe not rotten, but it certainly wasn't fresh. He noticed one paper that had a very curious drawing on it - a shadow like Taric and Ochita were, but with distorted facial features. He focused in on it, trying to determine where he'd seen it bef-

The memory.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Zach was pulled from his trance. That was it. 9120 hours until collapse. That's what the "Origin" everyone keeps mentioning is? That hole back at the Tower? Zach was flooded with memories. How much time did that leave them? Carry the one... two weeks.

Two weeks until collapse.

Zach turned around real quick and noticed the gang was looking kinda uneasy. He must have zoned out. But why couldn't he remember all this before? That was an excellent question.

((GM note: Status screens and all such stuff coming later. I'm moving this to my newer rendention of the system I've been using for a while. Feel free to take whatever action you want, though, or roleplay as you have in ages past :P

Also, @Zako: the flash back was just an explanation of what happened when we left off. May be a little confusing, but I think you'll get the gist.))
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 02:08:53 am by freeformschooler »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Mushroom Kingdom Wars RTD: Turn 57: HAHA HOLY SNAP IT'S ALIVE AGAIN AGAIN
« Reply #1209 on: September 19, 2012, 02:27:52 am »

It's back! Holy moly, it's back from the dead! Glad to see this alive again, cause its definately fun to play.

Also, look ma! I'm a plot device!

Proper turn comin' soon!

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: September 19, 2012, 02:38:08 am »

Bradley floated in front of Zach, waving his stubby arms in front of his eyes. "Uh, um, g-guys? I th-think he's, um... d-did he die?" Bradley questioned nervously. He really didn't like the blank look on the archeologist's face, or the fact he wasn't moving at all. Plus, that empty stare was extra-unnerving to a Boo such as himself. He really didn't like being looked at, and prudently decided to float up until he couldn't see Zach's face. "Should w-we, um... sh-shake him?" he asked.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: September 19, 2012, 02:57:16 am »

"He sick? He dead? Asleep?

Oomph hit head with club and find out, since Oomph is very tired of waiting!"

The Koopa began swinging his club in circular arcs, building up momentum.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: September 19, 2012, 03:25:39 am »

Zachary blinked a few times silently, rubbing his forehead in thought. He hadn't remembered that at all, but it was definately his own memory. But that wasn't the pressing thing right now.

"Two weeks... Two weeks... So much to do and so little time... Two weeks..."

His mind raced and he paced a bit, chewing slightly on his finger, trying to figure out what had to be done. What could be done.

"Who could help... WHAT could help... Stars above, I don't know... Why don't I know?"

He stopped and thought hard on that point for a bit. How had he lost his memory in the first place? Was this all he had forgotten? At any rate, all he could do right now was to focus on the present, and that started with stopping that idiot caving his skull in.

"Put that down, I'm alright. Well not really, but I'm ok for now."

He turned to the table and quickly gathered the papers, stuffing them into his bag. He would have to look these over later, they might contain clues, hints to prevent the worst from happening.

"We need to get out of here and get that star. Right now."

Grab all the papers and search the room for anything else that might help. Then get the hell out of dodge to the outside.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: September 19, 2012, 03:43:50 am »

Oomph let out a disappointing sigh, turning and smashing his club into a low flying baby Keese instead. It let out a tinny squeak and poofed into green smoke.

"...All right. But if you even be needing Dr. Oomph's patent Club-to-head treatment, be asking."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: September 19, 2012, 03:56:28 am »

Bradley, in true coward fashion, instantly retreated outside the room as soon as that club started swinging around. There he looked around for anything of use and tried not to tremble too much.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 122