Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Video Games qualify for the first amendment!  (Read 5440 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Video Games qualify for the first amendment!
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2011, 06:33:56 am »

CYA is always extremely rapid. With Jack Thompson and his ilk on the warpath, and most smaller retailers lacking the defense funds that giants like Walmart have, a preemptive defense is the obvious action, especially something so relatively painless.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2011, 10:48:13 am »

VICTORY! SWEET SWEET VICTORY AT LAST!
Yes indeed.

I'm in Washington state, and I coulda sworn there was some sort of legal provision against selling games rated by ESRB as 'M' to minors. At any rate if there wasn't, I'd be surprised that retailers picked the rule up in as much of a hurry as they did.
At one point I decided to buy a certain game that was rated M from a certain smallish game shop. Of course, being 15 at the time, they didn't want to sell it to me. Fortunately I packed along my copy of the Washington State legal code. I can tell you that with four hours of searching, neither me nor the manager found anything preventing the sale.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2011, 11:33:21 am »

I'm in Washington state, and I coulda sworn there was some sort of legal provision against selling games rated by ESRB as 'M' to minors. At any rate if there wasn't, I'd be surprised that retailers picked the rule up in as much of a hurry as they did.
At one point I decided to buy a certain game that was rated M from a certain smallish game shop. Of course, being 15 at the time, they didn't want to sell it to me. Fortunately I packed along my copy of the Washington State legal code. I can tell you that with four hours of searching, neither me nor the manager found anything preventing the sale.

Now that I think about that, carrying around the full legal code could actually give you the advantage in a lot of situations.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2011, 11:46:48 am »

I am surprised that the manager was willing to search the legal code with a fifteen-year-old child for four hours.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2011, 11:56:18 am »

I am surprised that the manager was willing to search the legal code with a fifteen-year-old child for four hours.
Honestly, if it were me, as soon as you pull out the legal document, I think I'd just say "F^#k it, here's your game."
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2011, 12:00:32 pm »

The real question is, do you just carry the legal code around for kicks, or do you purposefully go about trying to do things of dubious legality so you can pull it out and go "HAHA, I think not!" when your stopped?
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2011, 12:04:58 pm »

The real question is, do you just carry the legal code around for kicks, or do you purposefully go about trying to do things of dubious legality so you can pull it out and go "HAHA, I think not!" when your stopped?

If the answer is "both", he wins the internet for the next forty seconds.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2011, 12:32:53 pm »

Honestly, the whole "Video Games are harmful" argument is stupid, and has been proved by many studies, and recent history itself, to be wrong.

Since 1991, the year when the first ever FPS came out, the Crime Rate has decreased. And honestly, answer me this:
"Why would you want to go through the horrible process of planning to and murdering a person, possiblely leading to your own death, when you can do it repeatedly on a computer or TV screen for hours on end without any repercussions? Ever?" (Besides a small sight Problem, but thats fixed by taking breaks once in a while)

And why do parents feel that they need to heavily regulate and/or ban this sort of stuff, when they could, say, just not buy the game for their kids? If you have enough time to go through numerous legal processes, spend weeks waiting for a lawsuit to go in, or go to Anti-Video game protests, but you do not have enough time to stop your kids from playing the games in the first place, then you are not a very good parent.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2011, 02:20:50 pm »

Eh.  My mom was shocked that I wasn't outraged by this.

I didn't have the heart to tell her that I was reading comics where people blew holes in each other, raining intestines, as early as elementary school.  Or that she bought those for me.  Or that I've spent many, many hours under her nose reading about fetishistic gay relationships.

I was, of course, banned from any video game above G.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2011, 02:22:15 pm »

I was reading comics where people blew holes in each other, raining intestines, as early as elementary school.  Or that she bought those for me.

You have to love parents who are extremely concerned about what their children are viewing, but don't actually look at any of it to find out.

I was, of course, banned from any video game above G.

G? Which rating system is this?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2011, 02:25:04 pm »

Whatever.  E.  I can't be bothered to remember who uses what rating system anymore.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2011, 02:40:12 pm »

If it was rated Pi I'm sure she would remember.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2011, 04:09:31 pm »

This game has been rated τ for explicit circles.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 2 [3]