Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best way to kill hydras and other thick megabeasts?  (Read 1862 times)

tomblifter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best way to kill hydras and other thick megabeasts?
« on: June 27, 2011, 10:08:34 am »

I always end up causing flesh wounds, and they bleed to death. Never slice things apart though.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to kill hydras and other thick megabeasts?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 10:12:15 am »

If you are well armored with a good sword, you can just keep hacking away and they will die eventually. For large creatures though, their size often means that slicing off any parts is difficult. A good spear can annihilate a hydra or dragon.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 11:40:02 am »

Spears are supposed to be the best weapons versus large organic creatures. Never used them though.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 01:29:40 pm »

If you have a weapon that can stab, just poke some holes in their torso (or face if possible), and you should hit some vital organs eventually. However, slashing attacks will rarely go through anything but fat and muscle, so you're better off targeting small limbs (AKA feet) or vulnerable spots (head and throat). I've been so fortunate as to encounter a dragon whose skull couldn't be obliterated by an axe, so after numerous ineffective blows, i decided to slash its throat. Exsanguination happened quickly.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 05:56:28 pm »

ok, hydras there are 2 schools of fighting, the neckhacker and the chest stabers.

neckhacking so based on attacking the necks, the aim being to cut throats and make it bleed out.
this school need large edged weapons and high strength.

chest stabing works on aim for other the lungs or the heart, aim to make it bleed out or choke.
any good weapon can be used for this school but dont pack a blunt weapon.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 06:43:16 pm »

What exactly is wrong with making some of them bleed to death (ignoring that the Hydra should be quite a bit more resistant to bleeding out)

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 06:51:45 pm »

What exactly is wrong with making some of them bleed to death (ignoring that the Hydra should be quite a bit more resistant to bleeding out)
It's not as cool
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 07:03:54 pm »

Sorry, but most adventurers just ain't Hercules level that can hack off heads and strangle giant beasts with ease. The most we can do as stated before is to stab important parts like the brains and hearts to hurt them good and bleed 'em out faster.

Even if you mod your sizes and stats a bit, the sheer size difference is still staggering (unless you turn yourself to a Colossus or something).
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 09:23:48 pm »

Well, I've had my share of fights with a really crazy adventurer I made, and Hydra's was one of those kills that are pretty interesting.
Since I mainly tend to use Swords I stick to one type , Quality and metal type is quite important here for chopping body parts away.
The next is evidently Strenght , but surprisingly it seems it's a bit easier to chop off parts if you've had one or two succesfull hits allready vs the body part in question.

Also, there might be some effect by constantly using the same attack type , I have a sword I nicknamed personally the beheader and I allways start off with a head slash (even if its really hard to do or inn red) and a lot of the times the first attack is in fact an killer. Its a Steel sword of fine craftmanship , around 250 kills.

My adventurer met his demise when I had forgotten to switch back from Close Fighting his last kill (an irritating kobold ) and tried to wrestle an Bronze colossus by his left finger... Quite fun death though.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 11:25:31 pm »

I had a highly-skilled dagger-using adventurer once. I attacked a hydra with a gang of goons from some castle as distractions, then stabbed it once in each head's brain to kill it. Lost a few redshirts, no big deal. I didn't land every attack, but each hit counted.

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 09:29:56 pm »

I've never had this problem with a good old fashioned steel or better battle axe. After I got super-Humanly and beyond in strength I could often times enough chop other humans in half at the lower body.
What monstrosities would walk the streets, were peoples faces as unfinished as their minds.

em312s0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 11:57:51 pm »

smashing the brain on every head of a hydra is faster than bleeding it dead

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 10:27:37 am »

The problem with bleeding large creatures is that they have lots of blood, ie it will usually take a lot longer for a hydra to bleed out then say, a moose. This leaves them plenty of time to bite you to death. I usually prefer halberds or two handed swords, but I always keep a high quality spear on hand for the bigger beasties. Whether you go with the bleeding or vital point stabbing method, having a weapon that can easily pierce deep parts makes things much easier.

Though I did once gen a demi-god level character, put most of his points into kicking, and then crush dragon and hydra skulls neath my heel, so whatever works for you.