Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I think I made a decent Xanatos Gambit  (Read 6612 times)

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
I think I made a decent Xanatos Gambit
« on: June 27, 2011, 09:32:11 am »

Xanatos Gambit: A plan in which all outcomes favor the person who made the Plan.

I was on a RP thread one day and I was about to fight someone. I was thinking about how the battle would go when I realised, I had made an Xanatos Gambit. Be aware that this was in a city being attacked, and that the "Patron Spirit" thing was something that increased my stats.

Warning: Large Image
(Click to increase quality)

Impressed?
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I think I made a decent Xanatos Gambit
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 09:36:26 am »

One flaw: What if he doesn't run after you onto a building?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 09:38:28 am »

I stand on the top of the building and shoot him in the head from there. And, with all respect, he would've ran after me anyway.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 09:39:30 am »

And how do you know that your dodge will work?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 09:41:56 am »

I have a higher speed then him, and because I was winning, he would be more tired.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 09:50:12 am »

Yeah. No. Way to many assumptions.

This is a fight, not a game of chess. All of this could go wrong in uncountable ways. Starting with the first one: What happens if he ambushes you or sees your ambush coming?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 10:13:26 am »

Looks more like a very elaborate Indy ploy then a xanathos gambit to me...

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 10:41:00 am »

Yeah. No. Way to many assumptions.

This is a fight, not a game of chess. All of this could go wrong in uncountable ways. Starting with the first one: What happens if he ambushes you or sees your ambush coming?

He cannot do so pratically because my stealth skill is much higher then his senses Skill. He would need some kind of hack in order to notice me.

Edit: Also, you cannot say that he would call on some soldiers help, because based on his character, that is not something he would do. I still have plenty of Crossbow Bolts, my combat skill is equal to his, he has no ranged weaponry to hit me in the back with on my escape, and my Patron Spirit will *always* work. Tell me, how else can it go wrong?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 10:43:52 am by Johnfalcon99977 »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 10:55:47 am »

If you can decide the outcome of every possibility, it's quite easy to do a Xanatos Gambit.  I mean, you leave off all the branches where he could potentially kill you.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 11:05:17 am »

I do not have any branches where I die because its incredibly unlikely for me to die in any situation.

He cannnot kill me instantly while in battle, as per site rules. When I begin to lose, and it seems I may die, I use my extra boost. If that does not work, I use the flying power I gain from the boost to get away.

In a big weakened and possibley crippled state, it is very very very unlikely that he can beat me. That is the effect of the "Silent Kill" I use in the begining.

Any outcome in which I die is too impractical, optimistic, or unrealistic to happen. Ever.

And if I do die, it will be because I did not follow the plan properly, in which case it is right that I should lose, but it would not count as part of the plan.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 11:08:07 am by Johnfalcon99977 »

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 11:15:01 am »

I may simply be too unfamiliar with the game, but it sounds to me rather more like you are just deciding how to finish off a weaker adversary. “Should I use my superpower? or should I just shoot him in the head?” I am not sure that counts as a Xanatos Gambit (Side Note: I think I have seen every single episode of Gargoyles).

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 11:24:41 am »

Yeah, Fenrir's right.  It'd be like a super strong boxer making a plan "I'll punch him in the head, then if he dodges or is still standing I'll punch him again, then if he dodges or is still standing I'll punch him again and then he'll probably be down"*.  That's not a Xanatos gambit, it's just a description of a walkover you're about to do.

*In your case: "I'll use my first really powerful attack (Silent Kill), then my second really powerful attack (Patron Spirit), then my third really powerful attack (crossbow headshot).  Or I'll run away if necessary".

Come to think of it, do you really "win" if you are forced to flee?  Would your opponent really be stupid enough to charge you when he's guarenteed to fall to his death?  Is your crossbow really an 100% instakill (and if it is, why not just use it first?)?  Does your opponent really have no attacks other than "charge" (and, if he chooses not to charge, will he really just stand there waiting for you to shoot him?)?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 11:39:51 am »

It's not really a Xantos Gambit, it's a standard if/then tactical plot.

Xantos Gambit would be something more along the lines of:

If we fight, and I kill him, he's dead. If he kills me, the witnesses I've preposistioned there will see my death, then when my Angel Ring revives me after he's left, it'll be considered a miracle. I'll be a hero blessed by a god, and he'll be a Judas.

A Xantos Gambit is when both outcomes serve the great plan, not when there's a recovery for the negative one.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 11:47:24 am »

How exactly does "he's winning, I run away and come back later to fight again" count as a win? Xanatos gambit fail.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am »

I do not have any branches where I die because its incredibly unlikely for me to die in any situation.
This is how the Xanatos archetype always dies, by the way.

This is just a combat strategy, and not one that particularly makes your foe's efforts futile, either. Really all that it says is that if he starts winning you can go into your spirit form, or whatever, and if he's still winning you can fly away. No account for tricks that might be up his sleeve.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: [1] 2