Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crossbow and Ranged weapons questions  (Read 896 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Crossbow and Ranged weapons questions
« on: June 27, 2011, 02:10:56 am »

I want to use crossbows as well as bow and arrows, but I'm worried that I'll run out of ammo in a fight.  So here are my questions:

Can you retrieve ammunition that you have already shot? 

What's the best way to trade for arrows and bolts?

Which is more powerful and useful in combat, the crossbow or regular bow? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
Re: Crossbow and Ranged weapons questions
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 04:05:21 am »

1. Most of the time, yes.

2. Sell valuable items to town, buy their ammo. Otherwise, steal ammo off people you killed.

3. A dwarf adventurer cannot actually use a bow. A human or elf adventurer can. A crossbow can still be used as a powerful weapon in melee combat when your run out of ammo. Bolts can be made by Dwarves, Humans, and Goblins. Arrows can be made by Elves, Goblins, Humans and Kobolds.  Functionally they are both the same.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crossbow and Ranged weapons questions
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 10:03:09 am »

1. Actually no, you can't, most of the time. Projectiles that get stuck in a wound or miss can be retrieved, most others break.
3. A dwarf can totally use a bow. If I were you I'd forge a masterwork bismuth bronze crossbow at a fort, along with a bunch of bolts. It'll outperform anything you may find or buy in the world.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?