Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How soon to start downward digging?  (Read 2959 times)

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
How soon to start downward digging?
« on: June 27, 2011, 12:50:57 am »

That was what I was wondering. I generally wait for a few seasons and then start digging past the first 3 or 4 layers. how soon do you start digging for caverns/magma sea?
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: How soon to start downward digging?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 12:54:59 am »

I immediately starts digging down, my rate's more limited by how quickly I can set thing up to fully functional ( as in having farms, bedroom, etc ) so it can take a year or so before I hit the caverns. Unless it's a very dry map, which means I drills straight down ASAP. Magma's for second or on year since I don't focuses much on metalwork  :D

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 12:56:02 am »

I generally begin digging towards the first cavern when I have a single fully equipped squad.
The second caverns when I have three fully equipped squads, and the third layer whenever those squads can handle a goblin siege that hasn't been weakened by traps.
The magma layer is any time after that that I decide magma is necessary. So as soon as possible.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 01:06:07 am »

Start right now, why wait&? There's so much precious things down there: adamantine, magma, moss, underground trees for pretty coloured rooms, silk, metal ores. That all belongs to dwarfs and why should you wait to take what is rightfully yours?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 01:22:13 am »

Magma is too valuable to miss. I go for it by the end of the first year at the latest. It's basically the first mining goal I have after initial stockpiles, workshops, and bedrooms are done.

If I end up intersecting a cavern, I'll usually construct a pump stack casing through it along my staircase, and otherwise have it completely walled off.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 02:41:05 am »

I dig down to magma immediately after start, sealing any breach into caverns that miners make. Some time later, when I have animals to spare, I make temporary holes and dump a useless animal or two into each cavern layer, so they can roam and explore the caves. I usually don't bother claiming the caverns for myself, I like symmetry and the caverns are just too chaotic for my taste. :-)
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 03:16:46 am »

I try to dig down into the stone layers and set up bedrooms and a dining hall. I dig a farming area on the soil layer(s). Most of the times, I hit the caverns by mistake when digging out bedrooms.
FIGHT THE MOSS, IT'S EVERYWHERE, OH THE DWARVENITY!
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 06:17:55 am »

Personally, I embark on planes (or near-planar areas with very little Z-difference) so I immediately dig an access and tend to send it even further down for exploration purposes without hesitation.

Unless I'm very unlucky, I only ever breach caverns from the roof (easy to re-seal, just need one side-mined tile orthogonally and set an up-stairwell to be built by the (usually) in-situ raw mined rock on the spot of the last up-down before the cavern), then send tunnels over a multiple of 16 tiles one one and/or the other axis (to be in keeping with my usual "grand-plan" layout) to where there's a handy chunk of non-cavern rock that I can burrow down, and send a new stairwell shaft down there.  Repeat until hit magma.  Then deal with the issue of "where the heck is cavern 1?", or whichever, if I've actually managed to luck on transiting through that rough Z-spanning layer apparently through a pillar or non-cavern rock mass.  (Just start off another exploratory shaft from above where it should start and see if that hits it.  Repeat until you have.)

But that's well beyond the scope of the OP's question.

Short answer, get at least one dwarf digging down, and any other miners you have to spare can get your various open areas sorted out.  It's more useful to know what's down there than to hold back through excessive caution.  Digging smart (and knowing the risks of the unlikely but possible occurrence of breaching a 1Z-high cavern on its wall, and how to quickly isolate that) is not incompatible with digging quickly.

Conrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 07:33:35 am »

If I'm going to build my fort right above the magma, I dig through them right at the start, walling the breaks up as I go. If I decide on building close to the surface however, I wait until I've constructed drawbridges in the tunnels leading to the caverns, until I have a squad or two of military dwarves and until I have the personnel needed to quickly build a few walls and traps in order to set a beach head. Later on, if the cavern is being heavily used, I set up the schedules to have a squad be patrolling each usable section of each cavern.
"College? Dude, I played Dwarf Fortress. My diploma menaces with spikes of knowledge."

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 08:51:18 am »

I try to dig down into the stone layers and set up bedrooms and a dining hall. I dig a farming area on the soil layer(s). Most of the times, I hit the caverns by mistake when digging out bedrooms.
FIGHT THE MOSS, IT'S EVERYWHERE, OH THE DWARVENITY!
you don't enjoy underground pastures/tree farms then?
I do, but after a while, areas of soil start to look as if clowns puked rainbows everywhere.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

Cable

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_OPEN_DOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 06:35:38 pm »

I tend to have my workshops, farms and stockpiles close to the surface, but my bedrooms are at about level -14 to deal with noise. I go for the caverns and magma as soon as my dwarves have somewhere to sleep and eat.

In other words, I start digging immediately.
It's possible that I understand better what's going on, or it's equally possible that I just think I do.

— Russ Cox

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 06:48:51 pm »

Immediately...

My miners are digging to the magma sea while the rest of the dwarves are storing what food I brought with me and what berries they can pick in the temporary food stockpile, once i hit the magma I start setting up my fort proper as close to it as possible.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 07:01:57 pm »

I like to make cavern forts, so right away. And then there's the magma.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 07:19:07 pm »

I make a point of digging down and breaching the first cavern at a natural pace of fortress expansion. Then setting defences at the cavern entrance. Once I can sercure both the main and cavern entrance, I send a pioneer team to find a good advance site to continue mining down and build an outpost there, ussually a lower ground fortress near the water so it can be kept running even without regular booze shipments. From there it's a simple matter of continuing to dig down as needed. I've never needed magma for forging, I use a pit method where I simply dump all the wood into the hole where my wood burners are, then simply use that pit as the mass production area. Think the pits of isengard in Peter Jackson's "The Two Towers". Inefficient but it means I don't have to over expose myself.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 07:24:49 pm by jamesadelong »
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

Sjotrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 07:22:32 pm »

My fortress spans over alot of Z-levels. so i dig down as soon as i have a barracks dug out, a farm operational, and workspace for my carpenter and mason. :D
Pages: [1] 2