Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Okay, this is wrong. Lungfish in the desert?  (Read 3793 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Okay, this is wrong. Lungfish in the desert?
« on: June 26, 2011, 06:57:48 pm »

I can't figure out how to post screenshots, so I'll link to the pic instead. Pic (?):

Anyone else think that lungfish should not be in deserts?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 07:15:31 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

KurzedMetal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Okay, this is wrong.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 06:59:55 pm »

You have to use something like this
Code: [Select]
[img]http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/3325/lungfishinthedesert.png[/img]

EDIT: BTW, a title like "Lungfish in the desert" would've been nicer too. Most of the time i have no clue what the subject of a thread is until i see the content. :S
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 07:03:08 pm by KurzedMetal »
Quote from: ARandomGuyOnTheInternet
When 80% of your fans use 3 different external programs simultaneously to play your game comfortably, you might need to stand back and think "Maybe...Maybe I should get around making a UI designed to be used by carbon-based entities, like mammals".

KurzedMetal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Okay, this is wrong. Lungfish in the desert?
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 08:03:59 pm »

Lungfish are best-known for retaining characteristics primitive within the Osteichthyes, including the ability to breathe air...
African and South American lungfish are capable of surviving seasonal drying out of their habitats by burrowing into mud and estivating throughout the dry season.
When 80% of your fans use 3 different external programs simultaneously to play your game comfortably, you might need to stand back and think "Maybe...Maybe I should get around making a UI designed to be used by carbon-based entities, like mammals".

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 08:13:06 pm »

Lungfish are best-known for retaining characteristics primitive within the Osteichthyes, including the ability to breathe air...
African and South American lungfish are capable of surviving seasonal drying out of their habitats by burrowing into mud and estivating throughout the dry season.
All hail the infinite wisdom of the Toady One.
Ok, can I go back to wreaking revenge on that goblin tower?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 08:57:45 pm »

So, these lungfishes I'm seeing estivate the whole year? These is NO water on the map, ANYWHERE, at least not on the surface. I think even lungfish need water to eat, as they can only swi...ah, right, DF =/= logic.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 10:32:43 pm »

Anyone else think that lungfish should not be in deserts?

Apparently mother nature seems to think they belong in the desert in real life, I don't see how one can argue with that?

The whole reason lungfish have lungs is so that they can withstand the seasonal dry spells which occur in deserts after all...
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 10:38:37 pm »

So, these lungfishes I'm seeing estivate the whole year? These is NO water on the map, ANYWHERE, at least not on the surface. I think even lungfish need water to eat, as they can only swi...ah, right, DF =/= logic.

You have to keep in mind, at all times, that this game IS NOT FINISHED...  There are so many little things like this that toady will get to eventually, one could go crazy fussing over them all.

Want to talk about logic, you can 'distill' beer from wheat and nothing else, and have seeds left over to plant after you are done!  No water needed,  and the part of the wheat you normall would consume IS the seed, and you dont distill beer, you brew it!

I could go on and make a huge wall of text out of the myriad things that are not right, but really, it just boils down to the fact that a lot of what we are playing with are simple placeholders that have minimum functionality and will be fleshed out at a later time.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 10:41:42 pm »

You have to keep in mind, at all times, that this game IS NOT FINISHED...  There are so many little things like this that toady will get to eventually, one could go crazy fussing over them all.

Want to talk about logic, you can 'distill' beer from wheat and nothing else, and have seeds left over to plant after you are done!  No water needed,  and the part of the wheat you normall would consume IS the seed, and you dont distill beer, you brew it!

I could go on and make a huge wall of text out of the myriad things that are not right, but really, it just boils down to the fact that a lot of what we are playing with are simple placeholders that have minimum functionality and will be fleshed out at a later time.
Don't you hate it when people argue with you by explaining what happened to be your entire POINT?
Sig

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 10:53:51 pm »

Don't you hate it when people argue with you by explaining what happened to be your entire POINT?

Sorry, I have trouble translating rant into english...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 07:12:56 am »

Sorry, I have trouble translating rant into english...
Sorry, I had trouble realizing I was ranting.
Sig

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 06:17:39 pm »

Oh snap.

You know what? Even if this game was entirely finished, I would permit a lungfish in the desert. You know why? Because it has absolutely no impact on the user at all.

KurzedMetal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 08:13:52 pm »

Aestivation (from Latin aestas, summer) is a state of animal dormancy, characterized by inactivity and a lowered metabolic rate, that is entered in response to high temperatures and arid conditions. It takes place during times of heat and dryness, the hot dry season, which is often but not necessarily the summer months.

Quote from: Aestivation of the African Lungfish Protopterus Aethiopicus: Cardiovascular and Respiratory Functions  http://jeb.biologists.org/content/61/1/111.short
Twelve lungfish (2-6 kg) equipped with ECG electrodes, arterial and buccal cannulae, were studied while aestivating in mud or in artificial cloth-bag nests. The periods of observation ranged from 0.5 to 9.5 months.

Sorry, i couldn't resist. :D

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 08:27:13 pm »

As for why you saw a lungfish.

It is likely because of how the game draws up biomes.

Was EVERY location around your fort a desert?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 06:14:11 pm »

As for why you saw a lungfish.

It is likely because of how the game draws up biomes.

Was EVERY location around your fort a desert?
Yeah. The same biome even. Not a speck of grass on the surface. Nothing but fire clay and...marble or whatever that white rock is. Oh, and camels and vultures. And dwarves. And blood. And vomit.
Sig

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 06:31:18 pm »

I've seen this too. It's especially jarring because there weren't even any dried-up murky pools in the area; just lungfish crawling around. I'd think they would at least need to be in an area with murky pools, even if the pools are dried up the year round.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]
Pages: [1] 2