Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress : Multi-player Edition  (Read 65205 times)

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress : Multi-player Edition
« Reply #120 on: August 11, 2011, 07:40:42 am »

Guys, when are we playing? I'm itching just to watch you play and comment and do nasty things to myself nobody will ever know.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 11, 2011, 09:16:10 am »

Is it intended so that if one player moves the view it's moved for everyone else too?
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 11, 2011, 09:24:29 am »

The server seems to go down quite often, this it'd be really enjoyable if not for the lagg and disconnects.

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 11, 2011, 09:28:45 am »

I think there is some construction down the street, the power just flickered and brought everything down :( 

* Carnes really needs a UPS for the server.  Or an actual place to host all of this.
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Joost66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 11, 2011, 11:08:41 am »

This sounds cool, any chance it could work in adventure? (That would make me very happy.)
Hello. Have a nice day.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 11, 2011, 11:22:47 am »

Is it intended so that if one player moves the view it's moved for everyone else too?
Yes, it's just people taking turns controlling the same DF game.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 11, 2011, 03:03:06 pm »

Yeah, it's everyone playing the same copy of DF through the same viewport. Anything else would probably take an insane amount of time to program >_>

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 11, 2011, 11:38:20 pm »

The status page is located on the same box as Server 1.. so it really should be moved elsewhere.  Anyone have a "real" server and can donate an itty-bit of space?

I'm not sure what you mean by a "real" server, but I run Linux and have Apache installed and all the net stuff set up, so I could host the register page. Throwing in a script to make it update the DFMP files when a server is registered shouldn't be too difficult. PM me the code, and I'll set it up.

EDIT: It just hit me what you mean by a real server. I don't have a registered domain, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Yeah, it's everyone playing the same copy of DF through the same viewport. Anything else would probably take an insane amount of time to program >_>

I've been looking at the dfterm2 code, and all I can say is, challenge accepted. I've considered trying to modify it to allow control to be manually passed from player to player or set to "none", to let people know that the hotseat is open for any takes. Give me a few weeks/months/years, and I'll see what I can come up with.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 11:56:51 pm by Mego »

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 12, 2011, 04:31:51 am »

ok I tried playing on server 1 the shift function is not working in the commands, so when assigning labors you have to go in and do each one seperately (using Windows XP SP3). Perhaps someone could look into fixing that.

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 12, 2011, 05:00:08 am »

I have looked into it a bit and it seems like shift key presses are never sent because they aren't actually a "key" or letter.  But Shift+Something will send if it changes the key from one thing to another.  So Shift+. sends >.  But Shift+AnyArrowKey will only send the arrow key. 

The only way i know to get around this is remaping the keys.  Feel free to remap any keys that don't work in DFTerm2 and post the new keys in here.. so everyone can see.  For example, i remapped Shift+Enter when setting up Schedules in the military screen to Shift+\ because that is right next to the enter key.

BTW: i've been up programming all night and occasionally peek in on Fingering The.. Fortress.  It's been looking great so far.  GCS on the surface and killing some of the starting 7, haha.  I'm also excited to see what Mego gets into.
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 12, 2011, 01:08:17 pm »

Jesus, this code is complex. It'll probably be a while before I can understand this code enough to be able to modify it. But, I'll keep working, because I really don't have anything else to do.

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 27, 2011, 12:26:01 am »

Thanks for coming out to the event!  finished a bottle of champagne that's been sitting around since last new years.

The embark was terrible.  Wagon stranded on this little island so Elise built a bridge over to the mainland and volcano.  There was an aquifer so we couldn't dig down.  Girlinhat threw in her knowledge as well.  The fort itself was beyond terrible.  Dwarfs dying of thirst and other preventable things.  Eventually TerryDactyl used the plug method to breach the aquifer but it was more than 1z level.  Eric sent down random stairs and got past it into the caverns.  I built some beds and dug into the volcano for magma forges.  First mood was at the magma forge and he went suicidal because he didn't like the only metal bars we had (gold/silver/copper).  A titan made of fire showed up and burnt down the massive wood stockpile.  A hunter bashed the titan in half with his xbow.  Server crashed at this point.. (around 1230am EST).  I'm a bit drunk and try not to post when drinking.. but here's some gorup artwork from the event:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
   Ok, i looked at that picture again.. it's terrible, don't look at it.  It was supposed to be a dwawing of the embark but turned horrid.  Too many bay12 people and anything turns horrid :)

Also! A new server should be up very soon.. it is a "real" server with "real" bandwidth.  Muiro will be hosting it (thank him by using it!).  So keep an eye on the registry in the next few days: http://cityofminds.info:800/dfmp/registry.php
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 27, 2011, 12:39:33 am »

From my brief foray into this embark, I can say that this picture is 100% accurate.  Perhaps 150% accurate, because this is Dwarven Science and numbers are for elves.

Also, to explain the setup in layman's terms: your client (which is not a DF instal) sends a command to a currently running version of DF, while sending you images.  It's VERY much like a virtual desktop, where you login to an existing computer via internet.  Every command you give is relayed to the DF game, and every image is relayed back to you.  Therefore, it is a hotseat.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 27, 2011, 01:00:21 am »

here's some gorup artwork from the event:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If that white drawing in the middle is what I think it is, that might be one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen.
Any fortress capable of spawning art such as this is nearly too horrible to imagine. What atrocities must have been... Or maybe it's just the community.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 27, 2011, 03:16:56 am »

Oh wow, why do I only see this now? Following this.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19