Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress : Multi-player Edition  (Read 65180 times)

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress : Multi-player Edition
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2011, 11:41:07 pm »

So, it seems that the download link on the Steam group has a Windows PuTTY executable that is run by the batch files. Unfortunately, being on Linux, I can only use this under WINE. More hacking ensued, and I got it running under native PuTTY. !!Science!! prevails.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2011, 11:43:42 pm »

Carnes, the progenitor, is running server 1 on a linux machine, so I know it's possible, it's just that I don't use linux so I can't say how it's done.

Server 1 is likely the only one running.  Server 2 was up for a while, but no one was using it so I guess it went down, and I don't even know about Z.  I think that was someone else's.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2011, 12:07:43 am »

...How much bandwidth does this take up?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2011, 12:09:34 am »

From what I've seen, there's no impact more than general internet usage. Less than YouTube, I think.

It should be safe and usable on almost any connection.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2011, 12:14:23 am »

A very crude tributedong has been drawn on Server 1, on the first save, using designations in the middle of the wall next to the eastern set of stairs, Z=-3. Progress on a real tributedong will begin tomorrow. It will contain magma. It will spew out magma upon the goblin and elf hordes who threaten dorfy life.

EDIT: In other news, the nobles are complaining. Just another normal day in Dorf Fortress.

EDIT2: I lied, the circus came to town after someone got too greedy with the cotton candy. The fortress has died.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 01:30:57 am by Mego »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2011, 12:15:24 am »

From what I've seen, there's no impact more than general internet usage. Less than YouTube, I think.

It does seem to be all text...

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2011, 03:38:46 am »

Aye, my server (Z Server) has been down for a while (two weeks+?). I've been out of town, and dealing with some stuff. I hopefully will have it back up sometime today, once I figure out what went wrong with it in the first place (it would work, and it would start the game, but it was refusing to display it back through Putty).

Ter13

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wait... Dwarves like food, don't they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2011, 04:46:05 am »

It does seem to be all text...

Telnet is a highly efficient medium. It automatically reduces the amount of information it needs to display... If the server is written efficiently using MDC, it can actually run something like this on a mobile device.
Murderhold - A story about a fortress closed off from the world, attempting to survive a zombie-infested wilderness.
Murderhold Discussion thread

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2011, 04:49:28 am »

Bandwidth usage is minimal. I was running netmeter whilst connected and saw nothing about a few kb/s. You could probably play this on a 56k modem...

If you can get on Steam I do recommend it as the voice chat is a lot more important in a game as complex as DF than most. It's also a good way to spot other people who are online in the group and ask them if they want to join in. Of course, DF is a single player game so jumping in, making a few tweaks and workshops and jumping out again is a totally valid thing to do :)
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2011, 07:23:12 am »

Idea: If we want a first multiplayer fort in the hall of legends, why don't we work for it? Looks very hard in multiplayer when people are on and off at times but that is what the Notes option is for  :D

Lets try that in one fort shall we?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2011, 09:25:39 am »

Notes are for pansies.

Also, my friend has had to move houses a few times, and carried her laptop with here.  Between her grandparents and her parents houses, there was a great change in available bandwidth.  Something along the lines of 20kb/s and 5mb/s or something like that.  On her grandparents crappy internet, she was able to play WoW and EVE much better than she could watch Youtube.  After all, in MMOs, you've got all the textures and models installed locally, just need to load them.  On Youtube, you're downloading EVERYTHING all at once.

Considering what DF and PuTTY is, the multiplayer version likely uses less bandwidth than your common chat program.  AIM and Yahoo put ads in the main friends list window, and those ads gotta load...

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2011, 02:23:47 pm »

Is anybody else getting "Connection refused" while trying to connect to Server 1?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2011, 02:30:06 pm »

Is anybody else getting "Connection refused" while trying to connect to Server 1?
Yep. Looks like it's down right now.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2011, 02:48:03 pm »

I will agree to join you if you lead me to glory and death!

Dangit, Carnes. Stop bothering the Ruskies and run the servers!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 02:49:58 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2011, 03:03:40 am »

Sorry for server 1 going down!  Not sure why it crashed, it ran from 20 Jul to 29 Jul this time (power outage on 20 Jul).  I was away at Otakon and couldn't do anything.  You are all dead right on the bandwidth usage.. it's extremely minimal.  Uploading saves is bad though, takes 2-10mins per map.  Luckily the link to the saves page has been lost or uncared about and is rarely used :)  Eventually (when i have money to spare or someone to extort) all DFMP resources will be moved to a dedicated linux box somewhere on the east coast of the USA.

Mego, I'd love it if you could be a Point of Contact for linux users.  Is that ok?  Did you get the TrueTypeFont tilesets working?  Do you have access to a dedicated linux box somewhere?  It would be great to get more servers up like Zeranamu's, so power outages or random failures don't cause all of DFMP to halt.

Also, can you all propose what to do about all these saves? Or about multiple forts in general?  Should any restrictions be made on closing games that someone isn't playing and start another? Should there be one community fort and that's it until death?  I ask because the saves are getting crazy, it's difficult to figure out which is the latest game.  What would you all like to do?

Lastly.. a screenshot of what DFMP _should_ look like, so people who haven't tried it can see what to expect:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19