Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress : Multi-player Edition  (Read 65169 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress : Multi-player Edition
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2011, 12:49:07 am »

I eagerly await things like this showing up in the community fortress section.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2011, 03:16:04 am »

I have got to try this out sometime.When I have time, maybe. I can imagine this working like two dwarves trying to pen and chain the same animal!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

uwaiawu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2011, 05:22:44 am »

I'd really like to try this, but I'm kinda stuped on to how set it all up. Either that or I am just too blind to find the proper links :P.

Can somebody post a quick walkthrough on what software you need and how to set it up? That'd be awesome.

Tetragenic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2011, 05:40:10 am »

Same as above.

Multiplayer DF? You must surely sit on the right hand of Armok, holding his bowl of plump helmets for such a dwarf deed.
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Dwarven Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2011, 07:39:42 am »

I joined the team group.
Can you spam event messages if you are starting a game? That would be helpful.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2011, 07:53:12 am »

How to run multiplayer:
Step 1: Get the file from Carnes, as he's the one running the server.  Steam group is best method.
Step 2: Run this file (executable .bak)
Step 3: Join the game via the terminal interface.
Step 4: Re-learn how to play in text-based ASCII (not tile-based faux-ASCII) without Therapist, while staving off the 4 other madmen who are working to sabotage your efforts.

Tetragenic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2011, 08:39:08 am »

Dear Carnes, any chance of getting the file as Girlinhat said ? I should point out I am a good DF player, aka "Food Master" (in my last fort we had over 300 masterful wild dog tallow roasts).

PS. Armok smiles upon you for this.
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Dwarven Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2011, 02:18:19 pm »

Dear Carnes, any chance of getting the file as Girlinhat said ?
Can somebody post a quick walkthrough on what software you need and how to set it up? That'd be awesome.
Yeah, np.  Previously i was only giving the info to people who joined the group and asked in chat.  Not that i don't want people to have it.. i would like everyone to have it.. but not everyone will fit on this one fort.  So it was kind of a hurdle people had to cross to get access.  The first joiners were made admins and they can admin other people if they want.  But anyone can post events. 

I'd still like to get people on steam for the voice and event system, but some people are having trouble because steam doesn't give you full access if you don't own any "paid for" games : /  So i'll pm the info to those people, no problem.  I think as long as we throttle new comers a bit, we won't have any problems.  I'm also going to setup a second (maybe third) server tonight, exactly like the first.  If anyone else wants to setup a server, that would be excellent too!

TL;DR - if you can't use steam, i'll pm it to you.  If you have steam, join the group chat and almost anyone can give you the info.

I think it's likely that more of these forts will popup soon too.  It's just too fun
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Tetragenic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2011, 02:22:55 pm »

No Steam fo me, I'm afraid. Mostly want to watch atm.

carabide

• Bay Watcher
  • Want to see my Wabbajack?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2011, 06:09:06 pm »

Like the above, I have a Steam account, but no paid games. I also just want to watch the humor and insanity.
Diagnosis screen: Inoperable rot in the head.

Urist McPeasantDoctor: WE NEED TO AMPUTATE!

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2011, 06:39:32 pm »

Curious, Steam's not letting me in the chat, would like to watch the lulz.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2011, 09:35:59 pm »

Yeah, you need a paid-for game on your account, free games don't count.

That means we can only use the comments section, not the open chat. Please PM the the address and instruction on exactly which PuTTY file i need to download, because there seems to be several on the page?
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Kerosene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2011, 09:55:55 pm »

I'd love to see it divided up with burrows, each player gets 1/4 of the map or something, but it sounds like it might be too chaotic to work though. Dwarven civil war?

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2011, 11:46:03 pm »

A big bump to this thread; the server is still up, but almost no one is on any more.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Taranli Maren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2011, 06:11:15 pm »

Just tried this out today.  Very interesting, though slow.  I didn't get to try it with someone else in the game.  Maybe some other time.

If the speed could be improved (run in on a faster connection?), it would be a neat way to run a succession game.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19