Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Your architecture.  (Read 5710 times)

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
Re: Your architecture.
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2011, 05:41:01 pm »

Overall it was a solid design with the failure lying in the lockdown switch location.
Could you have solved that problem with burrows and a design that would keep burrowed dwarves from pathing through the non-burrowed areas?
True, but back then I didn't know the machanics of the game. You'd probably have it set up with pressure plates I.E have a set of plates in each of the major lockdown areas that seal as soon as the dwarf is in position. Then once the danger is over, you have a master switch that unseals the fortress. Provided the switch is well protected inside the executive vault, there would be no issue. No mess with having to leave dworfs outside because they come in when they're ready, however I havn't experimented with non-resetting pressure plates yet, I imagine you have to rebuild the whole system after a siege which would be costly and time consuming. As I said, I prefer passive systems over active systems.
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2011, 05:47:20 pm »

Boring useless stuff

My fortress defenses are usually pretty rudimentary - there's a lever, and pulling it seals the entrance and that's about it.  The airlocked trade depot mostly just allows me to keep the fort sealed all the time - trying to use it to move defenders outside just results in dwarves standing on the exposed pillar and getting shot full of arrows.

Much like a beehive, once you get past the entrance, you're pretty much free to wreak whatever havoc you like.

I should play around with lockdown systems like the one you mentioned, though - at the very least to reduce incidences of my defenders rushing out of the fort to bravely vomit in front of the oncoming horde.
There is alot of merit to the airlock concept. It's easy to erect, simple to maintain and an almost fool proof system that can be coupled with just about anything. The only issue is resource collection which can be fixed with a set of fortifications above the air-lock and a group of well trained archers firing with impunity.
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2011, 12:26:02 am »

... noobie ...
ok morning question, if newbie became noob, what will we do with noobie? how can this word probably existe (sorry for off topic and no offence to cameron i just reilized how wierd this word is ...)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2011, 01:25:48 am »

I usually just go for a fractal kind of design, with lots and lots of hallways, just for the lulz. And I usually combine that with huge halls several z-levels tall here and there.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2011, 02:30:05 am »

My main halls and corridors are built for functionality. 3 square wide hallways with alleys leading off them to workshops and rooms. Once I get a fort established I make a throne room for the baron. usually with pillars of stone lining the procession in a hallways 4-5 levels high. With a throne made in the most expensive materials I have available. Plus a second one beside it if he/she has a partner. If I want to get really fancy I add balconies halfway up the rooms sides with chairs designated as meeting halls for the commonfolk to watch their ruler meet dignitaries.

Otherwise rectangles and squares seem to be common themes foe my fort layouts and architecture. Usually organised around one or two main stairways 3x3 wide. With very centralized areas for industries. With one main floor (usually under the caverns ) for food processing and production. And different crafts getting their own quarters of the fort. Like the stonemasons quarter, The woodorker and tailors quarter, The metalworking quarter. With a trade depot being not far from the singular entrance all my forts have for easy access. Usually with my main warehouse stockpiles beside it.

Bedrooms. I have dedicated housing levels usually spread around 3-5 floors after the first few years. Containing extra food  storage for finished food. Legendary dining halls, wells and bedrooms. Every dwarf gets a 3x5 room with bed, cabinet, coffer and door. With nobles getting extremely decadent quarters verging on mini fiefdoms in their own right. Usually I end up making an arena with a labyrinth under that deep in my fort to throw prisoners to beasts Iv'e caught. I once had a cyclops roaming around my Labyrinth that regularly slaughtered the naked goblins thrown to it. I liked to imagine it was how the dwarfs of the fort made sacrifices to their deities.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 02:33:52 am by Lexx »

ffaerie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2011, 05:18:18 pm »

My current project is a rather peaceful embark where I am trying to design my fort to resemble a kimberlite pipe. It's rather hard to think of ways to defend it, though, I am maybe looking into making the glass ceiling on top of it. The inspiration for this project comes from me watching some footage from an expedition to Yakutija region that had some pics of Myr (Peace) kimberlite pipe (over 1,2 mile in diameter, actually visible from space), fascinating stuff.

something like this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

or this

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 06:01:44 pm by ffaerie »

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2011, 05:50:21 pm »

My current project is a rather peaceful embark when I am trying to design my fort to resemble a kimberlite pipe. It's rather hard to think of ways to defend it, though, I am maybe looking into making the glass ceiling on top of it. The inspiration for this project comes from me watching some footage from an expedition to Yakutija region that had some pics of Myr (Peace) kimberlite pipe (over 1,2 mile in diameter, actually visible from space), fascinating stuff.

I've wanted to do similar things to this. For some fun(tm) defense, why not have the spiral path down have floodgates with pressurized water behind them. When a goblin elf steps on the plate, the floodgate opens, and they get pushed off the path to a hopefully messy death.

Also, there's no reason why you can't have your living quarters and everything be underneath the bottom of your excavated area... unless you were planning on this hole going straight to hell.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.
Pages: 1 2 [3]