Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unexpected Visitors  (Read 714 times)

A-Dos

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Water!!
    • View Profile
Unexpected Visitors
« on: June 25, 2011, 10:03:51 pm »

Out of curiousity, I haven't run into any Forgotten Beasts since 0.31.16, did Toady One remove them temporarily? I miss having something worthy to fight, not just some cowardly Gobo's and Kobolds.

And another question, I've pitted one or two experiments to find this out but haven't found any results that give me an answer. Does anyone know if Wolves are "Better" than dogs? (Better being stronger, more agile, better vision and so on.) Because those mildly tollerable elves brought a cage of a male and female, amongst Sunshine and other helpful alcohols. I'm breeding them at the moment for butchery, but I was considering replacing my War Dogs with them.
Longest surviving Fortress: Silverpaddle > 9 years > Tantrum Spiral due to an Engraver mistaking Magma for Water and attempted to take a bath. Apparently he had a social life.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unexpected Visitors
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 10:26:32 pm »

I don't know about FBs, but just looking at the raws, wolves are substantially bigger than dogs are. They don't appear to be trainable, however, unless you modify the raws. If you were to do that, however, and have an army of wolves versus an army of war dogs...sounds like an experiment for the arena...

*runs off to the arena*
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 10:28:02 pm »

Forgotten beasts' still around in .18 and I see people talking about it still. I'd guess you gens your world either so long that forgotten beasts got killed off, or you just had a lot of bad luck of not getting them.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 10:31:39 pm »

okay, an arena test of 10 wolves versus 20 untrained dogs resulted in all dogs killed with only minor injuries to the wolves...

I'm inclined to say that if you train them, wolves are superior protectors.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 10:42:37 pm »

Forgotten Beasts still exist, I normally adjust my world gen settings to make them show up earlier, the default requirements in a medium world (I assume they'd be the same throughout)

Titan Attack Population Requirement : 80
Titan Attack Wealth Requirement : None
Titan Attack Created Wealth Requirement : 100000

So they don't show up for a while.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

A-Dos

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Water!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 10:50:30 pm »

okay, an arena test of 10 wolves versus 20 untrained dogs resulted in all dogs killed with only minor injuries to the wolves...

I'm inclined to say that if you train them, wolves are superior protectors.

My modding skills are fairly out of date, what tag would you use to train them as War Wolves?
Longest surviving Fortress: Silverpaddle > 9 years > Tantrum Spiral due to an Engraver mistaking Magma for Water and attempted to take a bath. Apparently he had a social life.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 10:53:26 pm »

[TRAINABLE] tag will make them trainable as hunting or war wolves, IIRC. That's what dogs have

A-Dos

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Water!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 11:07:33 pm »

Cheers. This should turn out to be fun.