Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: Communism Vs Capitalism (Ideology)  (Read 24646 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Communism Vs Capitalism (Ideology)
« Reply #150 on: June 27, 2011, 11:16:52 pm »

Don't worry, it is way TL;DR for anyone to find anything offensive in it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 27, 2011, 11:18:09 pm »

Well, as you stated that mankind should learn to curb our desire for things that are beyond what we need, you should give up your Internet access, electricity, and anything else that you happen to have that is on that list, as I would be justified in labelling you a hypocrite.

I'm trying to. I just bought clothes for the first time in 4 years. I just started driving again after 6 years of voluntarily going without a car. I may at some point decide I shouldn't have internet either. Point is, I'm being mindful of my consumption and trying to think about the consequence and even adjusting how I spend based on those consequences. Is that a bad thing or a waste of time if we're just all serving our own interests?

You say all those other things in an effort to display that needs are not relative, but here you actually admit that they are, as you point out that what you would consider a want is a need for someone else.

A rich person needs a Mercedes? Please answer that one for me rather than ignoring it (and about 5 other challenges to your view point.)

If I died right now, not one of your needs would fail to be fulfilled. The system marches on without me, it is unlikely that I shall one day fulfill any of your basic survival needs, so no, you do not need me alive.

And if no one was part of the system, there'd be no system and we wouldn't talking. What exactly do you do for a living? Because despite what you say about it, you're part of the system and you're contributing. You paying your internet bill right now supports the overall network that makes so I can have internet. I put value on that fact as a societal good despite you never having directly served my needs.

No, since needs are relative, you need to tell me relative to what are those needs that you see as something beyond which we should not reach.

We need to be able to sustain the way we live now for the next 2,000 years, or accept less that'll allow us to live with a higher level of societal equity and environmental quality than we're predicted to have. There are many things, many luxuries, that our desire for is driving wildlife populations, natural resources and environmental quality to the brink. It's also continually forcing the largest group of people to bear the largest sacrifices in order to keep the system working.

If am being illlogical, and you know it, it should be easy enough to point out why I am illogical without resorting to dismissive and meaningless labels.

No, you're just inverting every statement I make and it's turning into a 15+ quote-per-post war laden with semantics. It's getting tiresome. I don't feel like I'm debating a person, I feel like I'm talking to a wall that just echoes what I say in an opposite tone.

So you do not really care if your point of view is factual or logical, you just do not want people to write it off as invalid?

Coming from the guy who has yet to defend that it's just as ok to want a cheeseburger as to be a mass murderer, based on the sanctity of human desire? We're beyond logic here, and _you_ know it. You're right, you're not being obtuse. That implies you don't know what you're doing. I think you know exactly what you're doing and I find it pretty dishonest. We're talking about real world issues and you're treating them as though they exist in a vaccuum, so things like "all human desire is sacrosanct" when in the real world, you know that's not the case.

If you are going to reject moral relativism, you shall need to provide some proof that morality is not relative, so it really does matter where you get yours.

Since when do I, or anyone, have to prove anything when it comes to morality? I reject moral relativism because it doesn't work for me in the most extreme cases. Some things I can accept and somethings I cannot, whether I want to or not. Hence, moral relativism doesn't work for me period, because I'm not going to look at two different situations happening in two different ways and say they're one in the same.

So you do accept moral relativism? This has me a little perplexed.

It's called reality, that thing you are involved in when you step away from the computer. Like I said, this isn't an exercise for me. People will believe whatever they want, I can't change that. I can only believe what I have chosen to believe and the best I can manage to talk to some people, when they aren't too busy trying to be clever.

If it makes sense inside the debate, why would it not make sense somewhere else? All of this stuff only makes sense if it is correct, so, I don't get it.

Tell that to the victim of a regime, that their dictator was as morally justified. By the way, are you ever going to refute that, or can I go on to assume you actually believe it?

They would both be right. The sweat of a man's brow is worth to any particular individual what that individual thinks it is worth, so long as that judgement of worth is not based upon false pretenses.

It's worth what people will pay them for it. A person's worth cannot be defined in a vacuum. Their worth is a negotiation between two parties. So again, who is right? And who has been screwed at what point?

My whole point is that needs are relative, and, thus, that which is not a need is not something that you can objectively state, as you have been trying to do.

OMG, an opinion not obfuscated in semantic word games!!! Can you do that from now on, and less of everything that preceeded it?

We can objectively state it. People need food, shelter, medical care and the ability to pay for those things, i.e. a job, to live for their average 60 years on Earth. Knowing and being really honest about what the least we can live off of is the first step of actually identifying what we can let go of.

If you do not state what you are thinking as I have done, you can give up hope of being understood.

Funny, I haven't had to have one of these ridiculous quote wars in quite a while until now. I think I'm doing just fine, thanks.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 11:20:55 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 27, 2011, 11:28:03 pm »

All right, I could give in to my anger and write up another long post, but, since you feel like you are talking to a wall, and I feel like I am talking to a wall, and neither of us is making any progress or having any fun, would you like to stop this right here? Now, I am not being a coward, as I will type up a reply if you want, but I figure it would be best to just forget about it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 27, 2011, 11:36:04 pm »

I'm all about restarting, perhaps tomorrow, on a different note if you're up for it. If not we can just call it an honorable withdrawal. Because quote wars, man, they are not fun for anyone.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 27, 2011, 11:38:41 pm »

If you feel like it, sure. It's not like I like the idea of leaving you thinking I'm completely stupid. It would probably be better served in a different thread, or, since it's all too long for anyone to care to read it, even in private messages.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 27, 2011, 11:39:55 pm »

Of anything, I don't think you stupid. Anyone that committed to that much logical construction-argumentation doesn't have rocks for brains.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 27, 2011, 11:56:24 pm »

What do people desire? Something somewhat better then what they have right now, always, no matter what they already have. Its primordial, base instinctual, even.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 28, 2011, 12:49:26 am »

The assumption that people with more exploited and oppressed those who have less to get it is an enormous fallacy common with all Marxist thought. Really its what the entire Manifesto is built on.
So uh... sweatshops and Dickensian factory conditions don't show the kindof thing that happens when there is no labour regulation and no union rights?
What does that have to do with the Marxist presumption of exploitation and oppression, besides assuming those sweatshops and factories are the result of oppression? I have news for you. Working in a sweatshop is something people do voluntarily for a wage. If I offer you 25 cents an hour to sew soccer balls and you accept, you can call it a lot of things, but you can't call it exploitation or oppression. You accepted it. You are now earning a wage in exchange for your time. If you think your time is worth more than 25 cents, find someone willing to offer more than twenty five cents, but don't call it oppression that you accepted a deal.

If you take a starving dog and give it food and shelter, it will not bite you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 28, 2011, 12:56:21 am »

What does that have to do with the Marxist presumption of exploitation and oppression, besides assuming those sweatshops and factories are the result of oppression? I have news for you. Working in a sweatshop is something people do voluntarily for a wage. If I offer you 25 cents an hour to sew soccer balls and you accept, you can call it a lot of things, but you can't call it exploitation or oppression. You accepted it. You are now earning a wage in exchange for your time. If you think your time is worth more than 25 cents, find someone willing to offer more than twenty five cents, but don't call it oppression that you accepted a deal.

Is acceptance the only thing that makes something not oppression? Because I'm pretty sure accepting an unfavorable deal under extreme duress is rather oppressive despite any agreements made. When the person is placed in a disadvantageous position and somebody exploits that for their own gain that's... well that sounds like exploitation to me.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 28, 2011, 01:06:59 am »

Free markets don't care about needs, they care about demand - the desire to have something coupled with the willingness to pay a realistic price. As such, it's deeply ingrained in capitalism that all 'needs' are subjective and subject to economic constraints. This has disadvantages (Someone who can't afford essentials is essentially buggered. Suppliers are encouraged to make marketable but short-lived products rather than technically excellent ones, outright fraudulent ones if the consumers are naive enough) but keeps decision making flexible through personal freedom.
Progress is a little unpredictable, but often astonishing (if currently expensive luxuries can benefit from economies of scale, they may become command and affordable in a very short time).
Regarding whether a rich person really needs a Mercedes... people need little and want much. Many people can afford a fancy car, or fancy food/drink, or their own home, or a pleasure boat, or regular holidays abroad, or an elaborate hobby, or to freely indulge their little pleasures on a daily basis. Being rich is only a requirement if you want most of those.

A command economy usually tries to account for 'needs' directly, with varying levels of success. Historically, it's been tempting to focus on investment goods over consumer goods for long-term growth... but shortages are made more problematic by the lack of a self-regulating allocation method. People spending hours in queues or simply nicking stuff from public projects are hardly efficient, and once some wealth has obviously been created people will want a slice of it.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 28, 2011, 03:45:19 am »

Anyway free market will eventually take care of himself : unregulated economy will fail against better designed ones. All we have to do is to wait that they goes bankrupt, the same way that USSR has.
All it take to ruin US is that china allow his money to be sold outside the country. Of China demanding his investment back.

I find hilarious the "bellow minimum wage" rhetoric.
"Why are you complaining? I'll pay you pitiful wage to work like mad. You should be happy!". Good think Europe respond "fuck you" to that kind of bullshit.
Decent living for all is the minimum. Why? Because we can afford it.
Yes, if you let people starve you're a selfish prick.

Beside free market is not fair : If you're born rich, you'll have everything. If you're born poor, you'll have one chance on ten thousand to get out of misery. And if you're unlucky, you're fucked.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 28, 2011, 11:05:14 am »

And yet people leave their famine-prone subsistance farms to go to the cities all across the third world and their standard of living rises. You have to have a sense of scale when you look at the developing world. You can't take a half million people out of mud huts and put them in a city and expect every one of them to earn $8.00 an hour and live in a two room apartment. But you definately can't keep them in mud huts because you think the first step on the ladder isn't high enough off the ground.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 28, 2011, 11:50:23 am »

Quote from: Exploit
Benefit unfairly from the work of (someone), typically by overworking or underpaying them
I'd say what you just described fits the definition pretty well, unless you have an extremely odd definition of "underpaying"/"overworking".  The thing about exploitation is that you generally do it with someone's consent because they have no other option and you're abusing the fact that they have no other option (indeed, I don't think it would actually go under "exploitation" if you were forcing someone to do it).

Labour rights and unionisation are crucial in stopping this exploitation.  Maybe you think that it would be fine for a large minority of workers to be in almost complete poverty due to unlivable wages.  Those who would be forced into this poverty disagree, which is why they took action, formed unions and demanded labour laws in the past (but that's cheating, apparently).

If you take a starving dog and give it food and shelter, it will not bite you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man.
It might well bite you if you start making it work for 18 hours a day though.

And yet people leave their famine-prone subsistance farms to go to the cities all across the third world and their standard of living rises. You have to have a sense of scale when you look at the developing world. You can't take a half million people out of mud huts and put them in a city and expect every one of them to earn $8.00 an hour and live in a two room apartment. But you definately can't keep them in mud huts because you think the first step on the ladder isn't high enough off the ground.
You can't automatically assume their standard of living rises.  Especially since they often aren't making an informed decision.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 28, 2011, 01:53:31 pm »

What does that have to do with the Marxist presumption of exploitation and oppression, besides assuming those sweatshops and factories are the result of oppression? I have news for you. Working in a sweatshop is something people do voluntarily for a wage. If I offer you 25 cents an hour to sew soccer balls and you accept, you can call it a lot of things, but you can't call it exploitation or oppression. You accepted it.

If I offer you not to hit you with a baseball bat multiple times for your wallet and you accept, you can call it a lot of things, but you can't call it exploitation or oppression. You accepted it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 28, 2011, 02:05:22 pm »

Yes but you see if he offers a dollar somewhere in that equation, it's now a valid work contract.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14