Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Markets-Next release  (Read 2073 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Markets-Next release
« on: June 25, 2011, 04:35:29 pm »

What do you hope will be in the next release of DF, market-wise?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Markets-Next release
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 04:45:10 pm »

a reason to collect all these damn coins. Maybe some artifacts here and there, or something with interesting artwork

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 04:48:57 pm »

Better adventure mode integration :P Sell hand-crafted items, populate the market with junk, etc. No, just kidding, I know there's later releases for that.

Anyway, the one thing I would find wonderful is if we had alternate currency (this has been mentioned by Toady). There are so many microcline statues on the market that now, this civilization's currency is microcline statues. Don't have a microcline statue? You could perhaps pay for one in coins, which are now redundant.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 08:30:31 pm »

When is the new release coming out, anyways?

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 08:52:02 pm »

I'm looking forward to this tying in with resource scarcity and mineral scarcity, giving us some logical reason to make thousands of microline statues for trade and making legendary crafters actually more useful.
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 08:58:10 pm »

I'd personally like it if each civilization has its own randomly generated currency based on the resources nearby. Maybe a group of elves near a certain kind of forest and talent for making mugs could use that as currency.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 09:38:37 pm »

G cancels read thread: Went beserk on Wyrm.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 10:54:00 pm »

Anyway, the one thing I would find wonderful is if we had alternate currency (this has been mentioned by Toady). There are so many microcline statues on the market that now, this civilization's currency is microcline statues. Don't have a microcline statue? You could perhaps pay for one in coins, which are now redundant.

Surely, abundance isn't the best criterion for choosing a currency type, is it? I can gather tons of pebbles in the local forest, but nobody will let me pay for food with them.

Has Toady given any hints about what role coins will play in the new dynamic economy? Really determining what would make a reasonable currency given a sufficiently developed economic simulation in DF seems like a very complex problem. There's probably something already written about this that I don't remember reading here.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 12:03:17 am »

Surely, abundance isn't the best criterion for choosing a currency type, is it? I can gather tons of pebbles in the local forest, but nobody will let me pay for food with them.
True, but one thing I would like to see is coins made from whatever local metals are most valuable. A kingdom or city-state with no local access to gold might use silver, copper and tin for everyday currencies with gold being extremely rare and precious, for example.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 12:27:11 am »

What if the game used scarcity data to decide that copper coins are worth 16 dwarfbucks per, tin coins are 15 per, and gold coins are worth 175,233? Would the game need to be told to use convenient round numbers or other multiples when it estimated coin values? What if bronze coins ended up being worth 5 per, and both copper and tin were in the hundreds? Could coins be melted down?

I have a feeling whatever Toady ends up going with won't require nearly this much depth. :P

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 02:34:04 am »

Really do not want to see any attempt to accurately model economics in DF. You'd end up with buggy recessions where everything your fortress can trade is useless, quarry bushes are worth more then gold scepters and whole civilizations die out due to unreasonable shortages.

Its one thing to end the silly mechanics like selling nothing but endless bins full of dolomite mugs and felsite jewlery for massive profit and another to try to simulate something as complex and vital as regional economics.

Just abstract it. Assume the region you play in is indeed a region and whatever goods and services are available have values attributed to markets off the map, all those mugs and things get put on ships and sent to mysterious lands abroad, so prices should be relatively stable for everything, even dolomite mugs.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 04:30:47 am »

I could see it being incredibly painful, exploitable and nonsensical if say, one city who had a gold mine valued gold coins lower and copper high, and a city next door had a copper mine and valued vice versa... a global currency would probably be much more useable.
Magma is overrated.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 04:41:40 am »

I could see it being incredibly painful, exploitable and nonsensical if say, one city who had a gold mine valued gold coins lower and copper high, and a city next door had a copper mine and valued vice versa... a global currency would probably be much more useable.

I can see them trading until value equalize based on relative amount that BOTH cities have over time. Global trading is going to be quite... Interesting  :D

It'd be good to still have a 'global currency' not based on material value, like we currently do. If only to make it workable locally in value. I'd imagine the future economical changes would include -negative- ( less than 100% value ) scale in trade agreement ( and hopefully you being able to set it through liasons, just to encourage them, ya know ).

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 05:10:21 am »

When is the new release coming out, anyways?

With the current development schedule, around two years (according to devlog). But Toady said that he is going to review and change that since it's too long, so I bet from 6 months to a year.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 06:43:54 am »

With the current development schedule, around two years (according to devlog). But Toady said that he is going to review and change that since it's too long, so I bet from 6 months to a year.
Err, no, the two year thing was about completing the sponsorship animal drive at the current pace, not the town map release. That'll be a few weeks, depending on how markets go, and whether Toady wants to continue with night creatures before/after that.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: [1] 2