Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Megaproject Embark Sites  (Read 872 times)

Bastus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Megaproject Embark Sites
« on: June 25, 2011, 11:18:47 am »

Aloha Bay12 Community,

I hope that I am not in the wrong section for this Topic, but i have a problem andperhaps some of you could help me.

So I want to build a large overground City as my first Megaproject game ind Dwarf Fortress. But after watching through my sketches I discover some problems I cant solve by myself. At the first I will need a 6X6 embark so I have to do as much FPS safing methods as possible. Here comes the Problem I want to make the city mainly out of marble (I will make a custom reaction for that) and obsidian. So I will need a obsidianfarm but I dont want to pump Magma up from z-level -100 so I need Magma near but not at the surface of my map. Then I will need a Watersource(river or brook) to make big channels through my whole city. And I need Sand. So after days of searching I really get desperat about this.

So dear Community heres my Request fat you:

I need a map:-6X6
                   -Magma near to surface
                   -River or brook
                   -Sand
                   -as flat as possibble

If someone has such a embark pls post it here so i could strt my project.

Sincerely Bastus.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 11:20:24 am by Bastus »

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject Embark Sites
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 11:23:52 am »

You could try restricting your world to one cavern. That should significantly decrease both the distance of the magma from the surface and indeed the total number of z-levels, reducing the overall lag you have to work around.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 12:35:52 pm »

Also, remember it's perfectly possible for you to build an obsidian farm right down near the sea. Hauling rocks'll keep your populace nice and busy :D
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 07:30:08 pm »

I modded the init.txt to have a 5x5 embark square, and that works fine. Just use a 5x5 one. And for obsidian, I can't help you there, 'cause I don't know how to safely set up an obsidian farm without killing my population.

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 08:57:51 pm »

I posted this yesterday in the cookbook thread, it isn't perfect but you can look and decide for yourself.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64032.375

I have two posted on that page, the first (quoted) will give you a completely flat 6x6 embark but has no sand.

The second one which I referred to is mostly flat but in a 6x6 embark you will have to flatten some hills to the west, it has sand, a brook and a magma tube that reaches the surface (well, the tube reaches the surface but the magma itself is one level down). There is plenty of natural Obsidian availabe in the first three layers and a bit more a few layers down but no marble or any flux at all, though if you can mod that like you said then it isnt an issue.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 09:04:33 pm by Sir Crashalot »

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 11:41:24 pm »

Going to mod the marble reaction, so why not mod the obsidian one?