Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tried to assigin a caged elf to a chain....  (Read 5071 times)

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
Tried to assigin a caged elf to a chain....
« on: June 25, 2011, 09:55:42 am »

This was the result
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The eye biting Glazer is getting a a legendary bedroom but I'm still down an elf.
Is there a reliable way of getting them chained up?

It was an ex merchant if that makes a difference, they always seem to go berserk before I get an opportunity to get a breeding program underway, will this happen if they are captured during a siege? 

Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Tried to assigin a caged elf to a chain....
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 10:23:39 am »

Put the elf's cage right next to the built chain before you assign the elf to the chain. This way, the hauling distance is shorter. You can even dump the unbuilt cage of the elf on top on the built chain.

Other, untested factors that may apply could be:
- the agility of the dwarf handler
- the strength of the dwarf handler

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 11:12:46 am »

Sounds like !!SCIENCE!!
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 11:24:24 am »

Wait your breeding the tree huggers? :O hearsay! All Elf's must die by cleansing magma!!!
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

The Button

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 11:34:36 am »

Wait your breeding the tree huggers? :O hearsay! All Elf's must die by cleansing magma!!!

How else do you test that your trap system works?

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 11:37:38 am »

Test? Pffft.

That kind of thinking is probably what led to me flooding my farms without actually finishing the drain...
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 11:39:06 am »

Test? Pffft.

That kind of thinking is probably what led to me flooding my farms without actually finishing the drain...
No, I think you got that backwards.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 11:41:42 am »

He'll be doing it to torture their children (I hope)

I suppose thats fine but all children must be used for very painful !!SCIENCE!!! mostly involving magma and GCS and other painful things
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 11:42:00 am »

:| Well, they weren't supposed to actually flood. It should have been a moistening.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 11:47:00 am »

The important thing to remember here is that all of this is for !!science!!
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 12:01:21 pm »

Quick! Dump their children into the caverns! Show those heretics the side of nature that they choose to ignore, drive the viscious and purile contempt for all nature into their very souls. After the first of their comrades fall to the blind cave trolls, then lets see if their tree hugging will save them. Then, when their on their knees begging to return to the surface drop an axe through the whole they came in through. No words, no contact, nothing. Just the axe, soon they will become everything they hate, turning full circle and realizing that we, the dwarfs are the right and the order in this harsh and cruel world.
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 12:05:08 pm »

But Elves are at peace with nature, nothing attacks them...
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 12:06:24 pm »

Then I retract my previous statement. Luckily plan B is always magma.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 12:08:55 pm »

Quick! Dump their children into the caverns! Show those heretics the side of nature that they choose to ignore, drive the viscious and purile contempt for all nature into their very souls. After the first of their comrades fall to the blind cave trolls, then lets see if their tree hugging will save them. Then, when their on their knees begging to return to the surface drop an axe through the whole they came in through. No words, no contact, nothing. Just the axe, soon they will become everything they hate, turning full circle and realizing that we, the dwarfs are the right and the order in this harsh and cruel world.

*slow clap*
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 12:32:51 pm »

Is there a reliable way of getting them chained up?

It was an ex merchant if that makes a difference, they always seem to go berserk before I get an opportunity to get a breeding program underway, will this happen if they are captured during a siege?

Berserk creatures attack everything nearby, so it's not really feasible to chain them up. If you capture an Elf (or Human or Goblin) soldier from an ambush/siege, this will not happen (though it will happen for captured thieves, since those are "Hostile" rather than "Invader").
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: [1] 2