Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forum suggestion - text types  (Read 607 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forum suggestion - text types
« on: June 25, 2011, 03:27:22 am »

Can we get the default text type changed to something with a common width for all capital letters and special characters?

It's annoying to have to use notepad to design, then take a screenshot of the design, then change it to 16-bit, then upload the picture, then format the IMG when all we really want to do is just use the forum text to design.

I've experimented with various common-width text in Notepad, and none of them are common width in the forums that I have found, not even if they are the same style and size.

Here's what I had to do to tonight: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=87579.0

It's kind of annoying to have to reach around our elbows to scratch our arses when it comes to common width text for DF design ideas.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Re: Forum suggestion - text types
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 03:31:41 am »

Uh, I think you have the wrong subforum.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 03:47:34 am »

No, I have the right forum.  In order to create little designs with straight columns (for DF) we need common width characters.

(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 04:08:43 am »

The Code tags work.

Code: [Select]
This is a test.
####.####
.$$D...@.
####c####
Vs.
This is a test.
####.####
.$$D...@.
####c####

The only problem is that you cannot use any other forum features (like colors, bold, underlined...) in a Code tag.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 04:10:14 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 04:11:58 am »

The Code tags work.

This is a test.
####.####
.$$D...@.
####c####
Vs.
This is a test.
####.####
.$$D...@.
####c####

The only problem is that you cannot use any other forum features (like colors, bold, underlined...) in a Code tag.

Hrm, code tag.  Never used that - wasn't aware it existed.  Makes sense even though I obviously didn't see it in the last couple years I've been here off and on :)

I'll play with it.  Locking the thread for now.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 04:24:59 am »

You can do other tags inside the "tt" tag, but I don't know the specific limitations.

TEST
iiii

[tt]
[b]T[/b]E[i]S[/i][color=red]T[/color]
[b]i[/b]i[i]i[/i][color=red]i[/color]
[/tt]

For comparison:

With code tags and no "tt":

[b]T[/b]E[i]S[/i][color=red]T[/color]
[b]i[/b]i[i]i[/i][color=red]i[/color]

Untagged:

TEST
iiii
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 04:28:06 am by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!