Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hybrid watch/archery tower  (Read 1170 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hybrid watch/archery tower
« on: June 25, 2011, 03:20:34 am »

B = Bridge
A = Open floor
F = Fortifications carved out of constructed walls.
C = Constructed walls not turned into fortifications
W = Windows
X = up/down stairs
_ = kitten pasture

The kitten is completely enclosed in glass with no access to the stairway.  No need to use a chain.

Windows stop arrows, fortifications stop building destroyers.

On the archer level, some experimentation will need to happen to get everything to build properly., building some floors that are later destroyed and made into walls, thn carved - or build them from scaffold/stairs on the outside

On the barracks level, you expand out 1 from the level below to give enough room for a few beds, food, drink, and ammo.  Fully enclosing walls, your archers don't need to see anything from here.  The bridge/shutter controlling lever might do well here?

Above this, just put down a floor and fully seal it - you will have to scaffold down or build a little hut on top.

Sorry for the mishmash of text from a useful common-width text box to the forum text-type  Heading over to the suggestion forum shortly to suggest that the default text in the forum should be a text type with common sizes for all capital letters and special characters.  Arial 12 in notepad is NOT the same as Arial 12 on these forums for some freak reason.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hybrid watch/archery tower
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 04:00:20 am »

Heh thats a nice combination structure, i like the minimal footprint.

Question though, why the row of open space between fortifications and bridge on left side of z+1? EDIT: oh, to line up with the walls above it seems
Also, I was of the belief that building destroyers can do their thing from 2 tiles range...not sure but that might let them break windows through fortifications.  They still wont reach the cat but you might be replacing windows.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 04:06:43 am »

Heh thats a nice combination structure, i like the minimal footprint.

Question though, why the row of open space between fortifications and bridge on left side of z+1? EDIT: oh, to line up with the walls above it seems
Also, I was of the belief that building destroyers can do their thing from 2 tiles range...not sure but that might let them break windows through fortifications.  They still wont reach the cat but you might be replacing windows.

I don't think building detroyers can reach through fortifications.  I've never seen them do it anyhow.

The outer floor on the archery floor left side is to keep archers within 1 space of fortifications and prevent any fliers from squeaking in through corner gaps.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 04:09:19 am by Farmerbob »
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Ethnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 07:31:38 am »

I understand the fortress is placed underground so dwarves access the starting with ground level and going the stairway up?

If so I'd suggest to place the stockpiles (food&drink, but especially ammo) on z -1, since civilian dwarves may be scared away(walking through the kitten floor) when trying to restock the tower.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 10:40:54 am »

Unless it changed in a recent version, stealth detection only works in a 7x7x7 cube centered on the spotter. For your tower design, you only get stealth detection on 3 sides of that tower, and only for 1 block outside the tower. That 1 block happens to be a blind spot for your archers, unless you reveal an entire ambush squad which is standing further away.

I'd try something like this:
Code: [Select]
Ground floor (walls):

CCC
CXC
CCC

z+1 (fortifications and down stair):

FFF
FdF
FFF

z+2 (windows, floor, long-lived spotter animal):

W_W

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 01:55:56 pm »

I understand the fortress is placed underground so dwarves access the starting with ground level and going the stairway up?

If so I'd suggest to place the stockpiles (food&drink, but especially ammo) on z -1, since civilian dwarves may be scared away(walking through the kitten floor) when trying to restock the tower.

Thats a good point.  Will have to rethink that.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 02:00:06 pm »

Unless it changed in a recent version, stealth detection only works in a 7x7x7 cube centered on the spotter. For your tower design, you only get stealth detection on 3 sides of that tower, and only for 1 block outside the tower. That 1 block happens to be a blind spot for your archers, unless you reveal an entire ambush squad which is standing further away.

I'd try something like this:
Code: [Select]
Ground floor (walls):

CCC
CXC
CCC

z+1 (fortifications and down stair):

FFF
FdF
FFF

z+2 (windows, floor, long-lived spotter animal):

W_W

Too crunchy to fliers

I had a watchtower similar to the ground floor, but roofed, with a cat in it that detected several ambushes at 15ish range today.  Also, when it's visible to onedwarf, it's visible to all - the archers in the tower that detected the enemies might not be able to shoot at the found enemies, but other towers nearby should be able to.