Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The perplexity of possibilities!  (Read 646 times)

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
The perplexity of possibilities!
« on: June 25, 2011, 01:18:57 am »

So I just received what is most likely, the most awesome artifact mechanism I will ever see, look at it here:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/96/mechanismartifact.png/

S, what should I do with it? I've decided to shove it in my librarian/expedition leader's room. But from there, I can't choose.

On a related note, what systems do you have in place to defend your fort? Loopholes perhaps? Traps only? Large militaries? What?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 01:22:39 am by jamesadelong »
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The perplexity of possibilities!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 01:27:48 am »

The Imageshack, it hurts! From what I saw, it looks pretty cool. Link it to some menacing native silver spikes, if possible.

And I never have to defend my fort. I usually abandon it before the first ambush or seige, or let the goblins have it. :)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 01:30:14 am »

Who's the elf? Seems to be an important figure to your dwarves.

Put it in the meeting area as a lever and hook it up to something important  :D

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 01:36:45 am »

The elf was the first kill of the fortress.
The caravan came in just as we were about to suffer a famine, we were also down to water. So I ordered my small militia to go and meet the elven caravan at the trade depot and "liberate" their goods, that elf was the first casualty by my militia commander.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 01:39:03 am by jamesadelong »
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 02:53:09 am »

In my last fort, I had 2 artifact gold mechanisms. Shoved them into the dining room.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 03:03:40 am »

Combo answer: I got an artifact lever in my fort, I stuck it in the dining hall and linked up 1100 glass spikes to it, with marble mechanisms decorated with gems. The lever is basically an enormous Rube Goldberg death machine, bling'd out. Dwarves like it more than the bronze colossus statue next to it.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.