Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Disgrace of a dwarf  (Read 1747 times)

kilozombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Disgrace of a dwarf
« on: June 25, 2011, 12:10:18 am »

I have an engraver.

Who likes. Working. Outdoors.

THIS IS DWARF FORTRESS, NOT ELF FORTRESS! (Nor Team Fortress)

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Disgrace of a dwarf
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 12:20:31 am »

...You'll go ballistic when you check your starting 7. All of them like working outdoors.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Flaming Toadstool

• Bay Watcher
  • Time stands still at the iron hill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 12:32:56 am »

Too bad dwarfs can't engrave dirt ;)
Probably the best part was when the enraged hens took out a berserker who'd broken a nest box.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 12:38:31 am »

...You'll go ballistic when you check your starting 7. All of them like working outdoors.
Kind of a requirement for travelling several hundred miles overland, apparently through the winter, to dig a hole in the side of a mountain and call it home.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 12:41:17 am »

This is why they weren't allowed to stay at the mountainhome.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 05:44:07 am »

Working outside is not necessarily un-dworfy, how else would you get the trees by which to offend the elves into attacking you and allowing you to test your magma traps? Also, the best things to create booze are on the surface, wouldn't Armok want you to take that? Armok the god of all that is dwarfy would want you to harvest all plant-life to create booze.

Whilst yes, a city on the surface is un-dworfy because you have deemed what you create as better than Armoks creation, I believe that the surface that Armok created was meant for the dwarfs and by that right, so too shall the dwarfs use it.
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

The Button

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 06:28:43 am »

Working outside is not necessarily un-dworfy, how else would you get the trees by which to offend the elves into attacking you and allowing you to test your magma traps? Also, the best things to create booze are on the surface, wouldn't Armok want you to take that? Armok the god of all that is dwarfy would want you to harvest all plant-life to create booze.

Whilst yes, a city on the surface is un-dworfy because you have deemed what you create as better than Armoks creation, I believe that the surface that Armok created was meant for the dwarfs and by that right, so too shall the dwarfs use it.

I LOVE THIS PHILOSOPHY!!!

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 07:11:50 am »

I LOVE THIS PHILOSOPHY!!!

Well I'm glad! :D
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

Manae

• Bay Watcher
  • Smile
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 09:16:09 am »

Also, that particular description is part of a sliding scale, not a set attribute. As your dwarves slip into sweet, sweet cave adaptation, it'll go to the 'doesn't mind being outdoors, at least for a little' and eventually disappear all together, letting you know that dwarf will leave a vomit trail and get bad thoughts upon going outside.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 11:51:48 am »

What is truly disgraceful is that they get happy thoughts from batheing.Gags
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

kilozombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 12:41:29 pm »

The "doesn't mind working outdoors" is fine, working outdoors is a must for booze and wood. But a dwarf who LIKES working outdoors? A disgrace, in my opinion. Unless they're a plant picker or woodcutter, there's no need.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 12:59:14 pm »

The caverns have all of the plants a dwarf could ever need. What use is the aboveground? You know, besides the epic war creatures that sometimes wander into your territory.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 01:06:49 pm »

But what use is our obvious mastery over magma if not for war? It's Armoks will that all other sieging sentient life exists aboveground, he obviously wants us to use it. Who are we to disagree when Armok is direcing us to burn our enemies?

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 01:18:02 pm »

Build a tower/pump stack straight to the top of the sky, block out the sun with a good floor, build another floor directly below it with hatch-covered holes in strategic positions, and fill it with Armok's blood. Then you may rain His gift upon the surface dwellers at you leisure.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 01:25:50 pm »

I think that's what the caverns are. Over time, as the various ages of dwarfs have passed through, this idea of making a ceiling with which to rain fire has been tried and worked upon. Each iteration ends in that line of the dwarfs succeeding and then the next come along and try the same thing. It's Armoks method of keeping the only mechanically advanced race in check.