Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Whaaaaaaaaat? (Help me fill my time)  (Read 1447 times)

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
Whaaaaaaaaat? (Help me fill my time)
« on: June 24, 2011, 09:20:12 pm »

From the devlog: "Cross-referenced with legends mode and it all appears to be working, so that's good. Most of the slabs could use some work though. I think I'm going to do tower access doors next, and continue on with my tweaks tonight, then do animals for a few days. Then we can start markets!"

A... a... a few days? And then... and then you start... you start... but... but...

But I waaant it NOOOOW. There hasn't been an update since March! And that doesn't even count the bugfixes. Nooooahhasobsob *dissolves into the most disgustingly pathetic prone weeping form you have ever seen, making a toddler tantrum at a toy store seem tame*

On a more serious note, I guess I'm just getting antsy. Because Tarn teases us with informative, knowledgeable devlog updates on an almost daily schedule, unlike some other people who make games, I've reached the point where every tantalizing update that seems to imply completion causes me to get crushed every time another update mentions he's starting something else. I need help, what can I do to fill my time impatiently waiting. I've already watched all of MLP-FiM twice, My computer is so shitty that it can't run the recently made free Team Fortress 2, I've tired of Minecraft, don't have the money for Terraria? Terainia? Talladega?.... I need something free, fast and good. Any help?
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Whaaaaaaaaat? (Help me fill my time)
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 09:27:32 pm »

If it helps, from what I heard on a recent DFTalk markets are the last planned feature for this release.  I'm guessing a week, maybe two.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 09:37:13 pm »

If it helps, from what I heard on a recent DFTalk markets are the last planned feature for this release.  I'm guessing a week, maybe two.

Oh good, two weeks of seeing the TF2 icon in my dock and SOBBING. Although it was worse when Portal 2 started so promisingly and then, the moment anything on screen happened, just.. stopped. I think I wept. I may have. I still haven't played it.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

KurzedMetal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 09:46:29 pm »

The eternal search... a good game :P
I can only recommend Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup or Transcendence (i didn't play it far but it seems interesting).
Anyways none of these are even close to DF.
What are you looking for exactly? What do you like?

EDIT: And POWDER (i always recommend these roguelikes because they have good interface and ingame help, and new players can enjoy and jump into action without reading 1000 pages of help/spoilers)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 09:50:57 pm by KurzedMetal »
Quote from: ARandomGuyOnTheInternet
When 80% of your fans use 3 different external programs simultaneously to play your game comfortably, you might need to stand back and think "Maybe...Maybe I should get around making a UI designed to be used by carbon-based entities, like mammals".

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 10:12:33 pm »

The eternal search... a good game :P
I can only recommend Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup or Transcendence (i didn't play it far but it seems interesting).
Anyways none of these are even close to DF.
What are you looking for exactly? What do you like?

EDIT: And POWDER (i always recommend these roguelikes because they have good interface and ingame help, and new players can enjoy and jump into action without reading 1000 pages of help/spoilers)

Well, being the general bored, it's so much me specifically as the fact that we're all waiting, and we all need something to fill the time. Because I know there's plenty of people out there like me who are holding off starting anything new in DF until the next update so... here we are.

Me specially, I like games that make me feel smart.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 10:23:50 pm »

Cryogenic freezing might work. You might as well stay in there for about two decades and return when DF is almost done.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 05:59:21 am »

I am also antsy. With this unexpected feature creep about undead*, Toady should did additional in-between release (with its own bugfix cycle, of course). Ah well.

I'm guessing a month, maybe two.
FIFY.

And do not forget that game will be probably unplayable after release. You know, bugs, bugs, bugs. Did I mentioned bugs? Also essential for me Dwarf The Rapist have to be updated (it is saying something about game if it is unplayable without thrid party software). So add a few weeks (at least!) before bug level will be barely tolerable.

* With that all changes, AFAIK undead still are crapped (still having HP and similiar, pobably still vanishing in thin air after "killing" without credit). This is upsetting.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 06:03:13 am »

Toady seems to be doing a fair amount of testing before he moves on to the next feature. I trust the final product will be perfectly playable, so long as you don't go poking around in the darker corners.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 06:04:05 am »

It might be time to step away from the internet for a wee bit, gentlemen.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 11:06:03 am »

Heard of Ace of Spades? That sounds like it might be interesting for you.

rangarkash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 11:20:40 am »

Look on the bright side.

The better the market system is, the closer we get to a dynamic world post worldgen.

Everyone knows economy dictates war. ;)

Edit: that said, you could always try League of Legends. Or learn Blender, it's suitably challenging and potentially dorfy. Heck, the interface is pretty much like DFs. xD
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 11:22:14 am by rangarkash »

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 11:30:06 am »

*reads and keeps a post to read more.
*starts mass downloading roguelikes.
*starts evily grinning.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 12:09:49 pm »

We're not getting a new version until September at the absolute earliest. Mark my words.

In any event, you're upset we haven't had a update since March? Were you here for the DF2010 release? We went well over a year, and the entire time the community had itself convinced it was going to come out "any day now"

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 02:38:28 pm »

If you ever get impatient because of a release remember that:

1 - the longer toady takes, the better it will be.

2 - the longer toady takes, the happier you will be when it gets released.

Go and try a challenge, or play something else, while that doesn't happen.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 03:28:25 pm »

While the @up is right, I have to say that I usually enjoy the senseless and weird bugs that occur with every update.
Polished updates strip DF from ~half the FUN.

(imo)
Pages: [1] 2